• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2021 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

The complete strangers that unsolicitedly tell me why their MVP discs are best say that MVP discs don't change flight characteristics like other brands.:D

There seemed to be a grain of truth to that statement, back when MVP was an up and comer. But now that they are a major volume brand I think it's much less true.

I don't think any company has drivers that are 100% consistent unless they are very small and only do a couple of runs per year.

I'm thinking by the end of the west coast swing on all of the longer courses people will be saying he can't throw as well with MVP, then when the technical east coast courses and he's going to slay.

The complete strangers that unsolicitedly tell me why their MVP discs are best say that MVP discs don't change flight characteristics like other brands.:D

I was gifted all of my first discs by my BIL who is an avid MVP fan. I continue to use them and have found many that work for me and I enjoy them. But I'm also one of those mid 40's noodle arm 300' off the tee box myself [emoji23]. But I do love my Vanish, Insanity, Wave and Crave!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was gifted all of my first discs by my BIL who is an avid MVP fan. I continue to use them and have found many that work for me and I enjoy them. But I'm also one of those mid 40's noodle arm 300' off the tee box myself [emoji23]. But I do love my Vanish, Insanity, Wave and Crave!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The couple of discs I've thrown are fine.

It just seems like MVP is the crossfit and veganism of disc golf.

He posted on the MVP facebook group that he was playing with a bunch of discs he wasn't familiar with because he didn't want to lose the ones he's starting to trust the week before LVC.

Events like that seem to favor guys like Mcbeth who finds a new stock disc for each slot in his bag rather than beating a disc into a slot over time. Not that all of the touring pros have access to the qty of discs Mcbeth has.

I think this is a genius move on Paul's behalf that nobody gives him credit for. He pretty much throws an entirely stock bag. Helps him not be attached to anything in particular, but long term big picture the more important part...if everything he throws is stock stuff it's all generating disc sales. Smart move when you've got your own molds.

I think this is a genius move on Paul's behalf that nobody gives him credit for. He pretty much throws an entirely stock bag. Helps him not be attached to anything in particular, but long term big picture the more important part...if everything he throws is stock stuff it's all generating disc sales. Smart move when you've got your own molds.

I think a big part of the reason he does, is that it doesn't matter to him what he's using.

I don't think all pros are on the level where they can just go to a store, buy what's on the shelf, and play as well as they normally do with their regular bag. I'd be willing to bet on that.

I think a big part of the reason he does, is that it doesn't matter to him what he's using.

I don't think all pros are on the level where they can just go to a store, buy what's on the shelf, and play as well as they normally do with their regular bag. I'd be willing to bet on that.

Yeah, that's true. He beat the foundation guys with flippy 150 class discs and though they aren't great they are 930-960 rated players so that does tell you he really is just that good.

I would bet that given a week or two of focused practice pretty much any experienced player of any level can completely switch out their bag without their game falling off a cliff. Would they encounter an occasional difficulty? Sure, but only a stroke or two a rounds worth. Archer not the arrow, blah, blah, blah.

I would bet that given a week or two of focused practice pretty much any experienced player of any level can completely switch out their bag without their game falling off a cliff. Would they encounter an occasional difficulty? Sure, but only a stroke or two a rounds worth. Archer not the arrow, blah, blah, blah.

I'm thinking the same. I don't think any pro in their right mind would be stuck on any manufacturer if the right deal came along....

I definitely understand the "throw what you know" mentality, so a player might have some now OOP stuff in their bag because they've been throwing it forever.

As a sponsored pro obviously your play is important, but your ability to move plastic also is. Having a bag halfway full of OOP plastic limits that to a certain extent. McBeth has made it work for him both ways...he can compete at a high level with stock stuff, and also moves a ton of plastic.

I'm thinking the same. I don't think any pro in their right mind would be stuck on any manufacturer if the right deal came along....

While I am far from a touring pro I switched my entire bag in 2016 when Prodigy sponsored me. I put away some discs that had been in my bag for 15-20 years. I actually got better pretty much immediately because my practice was more focused on what I was doing then and there rather than simply reinforcing old habits be they good or bad.

Why would you need beat in discs for Las Vegas?

MVP doesn't make a disc that hyzers?

It may just be a case of his "beat in" discs are just the ones he's thrown the most, so he knows their flight patterns the best, but I think there's more to the story.

While I agree with archer over arrow aspect of the game, I feel like Conrad depends on knowing the flight patterns of his discs more than any other top touring pro. His throwing motion lead me to believe he prefers throwing seasoned overstable discs. He seems to throw all his distance drivers with a slight anhyzer, so I feel like this throwing motion would actually work best with a seasoned disc with overstability.

In contrast he likes to throw his putters on extreme hyzer. Now, I'm sure he could throw one of their flippy molds and achieve this flight pattern out of the box, however once it he got to know the disc will, it might be uncontronably flippy. Whereas an overstable putter beat-in, will keep that sweet spot longer.

It may just be a case of his "beat in" discs are just the ones he's thrown the most, so he knows their flight patterns the best.

Simon and Eagle have given away the large majority of their bags more than once, and I can't say I remember their ratings suffering.

But then they replace them with familiar molds, right? A beefy pd2 flies kind of like a beefy pd2 that you've thrown a million times.

A Mayhem (or whatever he was throwing) in whatever condition is not a destroyer or wraith that you've thrown a million times.

Or, if you'd rather, we can conclude that either A) MVP makes crappy discs or B) Conrad is not a good disc golfer.