• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2022 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

Many moons ago Wall Street Journal did an article on how pathetically low Disc golfers are compensated for their talent. They were referencing Barry Schultz during his prime in the article.

Any way you can source this? Or anyone else remember this article? Or can you provide more detail so I can try some different search keys? I tried my best, but couldn't find references to it online outside of this post.

Did turn up this article, entitled:
Stimulus Brings Out City Wish Lists: Neon for Vegas, Harleys for Shreveport
Most Ask for Roads, Sewers, but Some Want the Kitchen Sink -- and a Frisbee Golf Course

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB123369271403544637

The Wall Street Journal said:
The Conference of Mayors report has about a dozen golf-course-related projects. A lot of cities want to use funds to upgrade parks, such as Chula Vista, with its plans for a dog park that would include shading and fountains. San Bernadino, Calif., wants $1.1 million for park improvements, including a skateboard ramp and two "splash-park installations." City officials in the communities say these aren't their top priorities, but defend the projects as worthwhile.

Austin, Texas, could use $886,000 to build a 36-hole "disc golf" course, for frisbee tossing. It would be "environmentally and financially sustainable." John Hrncir, government-relations officer, says the project list "was put together on very short notice," and "we are not going to submit anything that is questionable when we seek actual funding."

Heather Boushey, a senior economist with Center for American Progress, a liberal think tank in Washington, D.C., says parks and golf courses shouldn't be deemed frivolous if they create jobs and are seen as long-term investments by their cities. She says the flood of proposals underscores a need for transparency in stimulus spending, which officials have promised.

This article brought somewhat of a ruckus, with media talking-heads like Fox's Sean Hannity specifically mentioning the proposed disc golf course funding as exemplar of frivolous government spending:

https://www.mediamatters.org/sean-h...ied-frisbee-golf-course-earmark-recovery-bill

mediamatters.org said:
On Fox News' On the Record, Sean Hannity falsely identified "a Frisbee golf course" as an example of an earmark in the economic recovery bill. In fact, there is no earmark for "a Frisbee golf course" in either the House or Senate version of the bill, which both specifically prohibit using funds in the bill for a "golf course." The Senate version also prohibits using funds for a "community park."

But yeah, I'm definitely interested in reading a WSJ article (or any other, mainstream, non-disc-golf-focused publication) on the economics of disc golf in a bygone era. If any one has a source/ also remembers such a thing. Much obliged.

But yeah, I'm definitely interested in reading a WSJ article (or any other, mainstream, non-disc-golf-focused publication) on the economics of disc golf in a bygone era. If any one has a source/ also remembers such a thing. Much obliged.

Let me clarify: I am also interested in articles on earlier period disc golf economics from disc-golf-focused publications like say Rick Rothstein's Disc Golf Journal.

But presenting materials on disc golf that appear in mainstream publications like the WSJ really make the non-disc-golfer eyeballs pop. These days, for example, there are articles that discuss disc golf economics in pub.s like Sports Illustrated & also Bill Simmon's Not-Bad-But-Not-Quite-Up-To-Grantland-Par The Ringer.

https://www.si.com/more-sports/2021/03/11/sports-and-the-pandemic-disc-golf

https://www.theringer.com/features/...niche-sports-million-dollar-endorsement-deals

A similar article from ~10 years ago during Barry Schultz's prime would be an excellent reference point when considering these modern pieces.

Let me clarify: I am also interested in articles on earlier period disc golf economics from disc-golf-focused publications like say Rick Rothstein's Disc Golf Journal.

But presenting materials on disc golf that appear in mainstream publications like the WSJ really make the non-disc-golfer eyeballs pop. These days, for example, there are articles that discuss disc golf economics in pub.s like Sports Illustrated & also Bill Simmon's Not-Bad-But-Not-Quite-Up-To-Grantland-Par The Ringer.

https://www.si.com/more-sports/2021/03/11/sports-and-the-pandemic-disc-golf

https://www.theringer.com/features/...niche-sports-million-dollar-endorsement-deals

A similar article from ~10 years ago during Barry Schultz's prime would be an excellent reference point when considering these modern pieces.

There were 2 magazines in the late 90's- Rick was Disc Golf World News iirc, Tom Schlueter was Disc Golf Journal.

I've been thinking about where everyone is landing and some out there predictions.
Definitely Ricky to DD and KJ to Innova.
Prodigy is bleeding their top pros so it wouldn't surprise me if Dickerson moved as well. Possibly discraft.
Fpo has been quite so I wouldn't be surprised if someone like Kona moves. If DD is looking to make a splash with singing Rick I could see them grabbing Kona as well.

Looks like Nikko is leaving West Side. This would possibly free up money for a big name like Ricky, KJ, etc.

Gotta admit, I know Nikko has never been with a sponsor for long, but I actually expected him to stay with Westside / Trilogy for a bit. Personally, I'd love to see him go full Gateway and rep them for the rest of his career. After all, it's in his blood family. They have some great and very underrated molds and everyone knows Nikko + Wizards were a perfect match. I doubt Dave has the money to throw at him, though... (or maybe I should say, is "willing" to throw the money at him)

If I had to pick I'd guess Innova.

Assuming Ricky is leaving he'd be a solid backfill pickup, plus they could really market the KJUSA thing since they have KJ Nybo. He recently moved to Charlotte also, so he's in East's back yard.

Purely from a marketing perspective and not comparing play, I think he'd move more plastic than Ricky.

KJ has been definitely under-marketed by Prodigy and surely Innova is going to be looking to make a splash. I think they were close to signing Kev when he first left Prodiscus. I remember watching KJ bombing his TyeDye Boss all over Tobbagon and would be interested if he can creep back into consistently being top 5-10 in the world and not quite as streaky.

As mentioned, he did use an MVP Streamline Pilot in a video recently, so you gotta think MVP could be an option too. They seem to be trying to make an all-out push toward controlling a large section of the market so maybe they'll throw some cash at him as well.

I've been thinking about where everyone is landing and some out there predictions.
Definitely Ricky to DD and KJ to Innova.
Prodigy is bleeding their top pros so it wouldn't surprise me if Dickerson moved as well. Possibly discraft.
Fpo has been quite so I wouldn't be surprised if someone like Kona moves. If DD is looking to make a splash with singing Rick I could see them grabbing Kona as well.

Isn't Kona's father a marketing director at Innova?

Looks like Nikko is leaving West Side. This would possibly free up money for a big name like Ricky, KJ, etc.

Gotta admit, I know Nikko has never been with a sponsor for long, but I actually expected him to stay with Westside / Trilogy for a bit. Personally, I'd love to see him go full Gateway and rep them for the rest of his career. After all, it's in his blood family. They have some great and very underrated molds and everyone knows Nikko + Wizards were a perfect match. I doubt Dave has the money to throw at him, though... (or maybe I should say, is "willing" to throw the money at him)

Whats the scoop? Or where is it?

Performance wise 2021 with Nikko the company man was his best in a long while.

Wonder what went into this decision. Was it on westside to clear up money? Was it on Nikko cuz he just gotta do something new all the time? Curious..

Wonder what went into this decision. Was it on westside to clear up money? Was it on Nikko cuz he just gotta do something new all the time? Curious..

Coming off wins at WACO and The Preserve and the disc golf BOOOM, he should be looking to get a significant pay raise. Also, he's been a mixed bag thrower in the past, so all the Infinite contracts have to look attractive.

Matt Bells 2022 in the bag is out, interesting mix of brands. . .nice to see a few DGA is still in the bag unlike Oakley that dropped all DD from his bag ( i think)

Wonder what the differense between an all TSA sponsoship like Bells vs a Infinite+TSA like Oakley have is?

Matt Bells 2022 in the bag is out, interesting mix of brands. . .nice to see a few DGA is still in the bag unlike Oakley that dropped all DD from his bag ( i think)

Wonder what the differense between an all TSA sponsoship like Bells vs a Infinite+TSA like Oakley have is?

So he obviously has to bag all the TSA molds.

And he filled out his bag with his proven discs. What stood out to me is how quickly he dropped some of his DGA molds for stuff he threw before that sponsorship.

So he obviously has to bag all the TSA molds.

And he filled out his bag with his proven discs. What stood out to me is how quickly he dropped some of his DGA molds for stuff he threw before that sponsorship.

it IS fun to see what the pros throw when they can throw what ever they want.

The putter was a surprise.

Feels like most players that goes to a open bag drops most of the "last sponsors" discs

Latest posts