• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Michael Johansen Walk Off

The Michael Johansen Walk Off

• Very cool, he's the man.

Votes: 98 53.6%
  • I'm ok with it.

Votes: 65 35.5%
  • Don't like it, he should watch his disc.

Votes: 20 10.9%

• Total voters
I've witnessed what happens to people that do not watch their discs on Jay Dub's cards first hand.
Well...uh...that was self defense, your honor. :p

I've played with a few people that when they don't like their shots also don't like watching them. Then ask, "Where did it go? I wasn't looking". :doh:

Neither was I...

If you want to know where it came from for me, its from being a fast player when I practice and just wanting to get my bag and get to my shot. I try and play events and practice the same way, so it's just habit at this point. And if you notice I generally do look back for my shot when I get off the tee. Carry on now :)

If you want to know where it came from for me, its from being a fast player when I practice and just wanting to get my bag and get to my shot. I try and play events and practice the same way, so it's just habit at this point. And if you notice I generally do look back for my shot when I get off the tee. Carry on now :)
I'm guessing you move pretty swiftly through casual/practice rounds so your speedy flow makes total sense (I like to play fast too and don't like sitting around much).

How do you deal with such long backups during tournament play? Anytime I get in that situation I have a tendency to get 'cold' after sitting around for several groups.

I think it's super strange, but that's his style. I think most people enjoy watching their discs fly, but he's just meh about it .

It makes nooo difference.

I'm guessing you move pretty swiftly through casual/practice rounds so your speedy flow makes total sense (I like to play fast too and don't like sitting around much).

How do you deal with such long backups during tournament play? Anytime I get in that situation I have a tendency to get 'cold' after sitting around for several groups.

This was from the Mad City Open, MJ just chilling sitting on his bag and playing with his phone:

Q1g0del.jpg

When the shot is right no need to stare it down and onputts, if it feels right when I let go I have no want to watch a spit out happen if it does

That short putt right side spit out in the playoffs at Mad City was hard to watch, wish I'd have looked away too! :eek:

I'm a fan of your style MJ, congrats on great golf at the Vibram.

Was there a question in your mind as to whether you or Bradley were out in the fairway of hole 1 before the final upshots?

Did Bradley seem less friendly than most high level competitors you've shared a final round lead card with?

Thanks and congrats again!

I've seen "arrogant" and "Michael Johansen" in the same sentence. DGCR has officially jumped the shark.

*packs up*

*goes home*

*runs into wall b/c I'm not looking where I'm driving*

I practiced for a long time on this by using timers. So, when I get to a tee I will set it for a minute and not touch my discs or anything towards my shot until it goes off. On upshots I usually do 30 seconds. It helps to break up the flow and make you get used to not being able to just walk up and throw

I practiced for a long time on this by using timers. So, when I get to a tee I will set it for a minute and not touch my discs or anything towards my shot until it goes off. On upshots I usually do 30 seconds. It helps to break up the flow and make you get used to not being able to just walk up and throw
Awesome. Cool to hear you've actively addressed this issue during practice. Slow flow ALWAYS seems to throw me off my game so maybe I need to work some pauses into practice rounds.

What about staying physically warm and in the groove? Are you snapping a towel around like I see some folks doing? Just staying stretched out?

Wait until you get older, it'll come naturally. :\ :D

MJ is one of my favorite pros to watch, but I had to vote "he should watch his drive finish". For no other reason than if it were to somehow get lost (weird tree kick, cut roll) or something like that, it might take awhile to find or get lost. Of course, he probably rarely has that problem. It does seem like it would benefit him to at least see were it lands.

MJ is one of my favorite pros to watch, but I had to vote "he should watch his drive finish". For no other reason than if it were to somehow get lost (weird tree kick, cut roll) or something like that, it might take awhile to find or get lost. Of course, he probably rarely has that problem. It does seem like it would benefit him to at least see were it lands.

MJ already posted that he does look back most of the time after walking away, so he usually does see where it lands. He's just a naturally fast player and wants to get off the pad quickly. I'm a "walk backwards after the throw" person, not the best habit but I do see the whole flight, but have backed into things on occasion ;)

This was my first thought, although 801.04(B) only says that you should watch your other group members' throws...it doesn't expressly say you have to watch your own throw :p

Choosing to eschew watching your own throw is a display of knowledge and confidence. To those ends it does seem a little bit arrogant, but if you can get away with it on a regular basis I guess it's justified.

Common sense: you are a member of your own group. You need to watch your disc.

Hahaha if I were sponsored, I might be a bit more lackadaisical/nonchalant about keeping eyes on my discs, since I wouldn't be paying for them... but alas, I am just a guy who pays for his own throwers. Also, I watch my throws like a hawk hahahaha.

Ask anyone I play with and they will tell you I find my disc quite quickly and help everyone else with theirs

You probably watch everyone else's tee shots and discs more than your own. Haha

Ba dum dum tish, here all day :p

Plenty of vids of MJ throwing (lasers in) tourney rounds. Someone should count the # of times play gets held up because he "didn't watch a shot."

I'll need some hard data before I vote.

:D

Another important factor, shorter throwers will lose sight of long throws more easily than their taller counterparts. It is not uncommon to see me jump or climb a nearby tree or bench to maintain a vantage point on my shot hahaha.