• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The mythical Innova ROC

I was in George Smith's shop and Dave Feldberg was doing an in-store appearance. I walk in on accident to look for Rocs, expecting the usual. All of a sudden I'm waving DX Rocs around excitedly like I struck gold in a store full of people trying to buy Lat 64 and talk to Dave Feldberg with George Smith's wife trying to figure out what the Hell is wrong with me. It was...awkward.

I got me some good Rocs, though. :thmbup:

The big bird Roc3 in my hand right now is penned "R". :| That's why I'm saying look at the tooling. Tooling don't lie.

I had a green metal flake CFR that I really liked that ended up at the bottom of a pond. I'm pretty sure it was penned "R" as well.

I can't recall there being any MF USDGC Rocs released, and it's not like they've released any Champ Rocs outside of the USDGC runs. Guessing it's a + or 3 mold, but that's pure speculation. Aren't the + molds Rancho tooled but with the tooling in a different spot than "true Rocs"?

I can't recall there being any MF USDGC Rocs released, and it's not like they've released any Champ Rocs outside of the USDGC runs. Guessing it's a + or 3 mold, but that's pure speculation. Aren't the + molds Rancho tooled but with the tooling in a different spot than "true Rocs"?
I don't have a Roc+ to look at, but as I recall at the time that they came out the tooling was different.

Dude has plenty of Rocs and Roc variants to look at and check that, though.

I'll look at them again later and report back. As for champ rocs outside USDGC, there are Luster 30 year San Marino Rocs.

I also found https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39204

The profile photo in that thread looks very similar to these two I have. Not quite as domey, perhaps but almost there. I'm thinking it could be from being in storage though.

I'm not saying that these are extra Japan fundraiser discs but MF Rocs aren't out of the realm of possibility it seems.

I'll try to make a post tonight answering all y'all's inquiries. If not, expect it this week.

I'll look at them again later and report back. As for champ rocs outside USDGC, there are Luster 30 year San Marino Rocs.

I also found https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39204

The profile photo in that thread looks very similar to these two I have. Not quite as domey, perhaps but almost there. I'm thinking it could be from being in storage though.

I'm not saying that these are extra Japan fundraiser discs but MF Rocs aren't out of the realm of possibility it seems.

I'll try to make a post tonight answering all y'all's inquiries. If not, expect it this week.
The Tsunami relief Metal Flake Rocs were Roc+'s, though.

The Tsunami relief Metal Flake Rocs were Roc+'s, though.

I mentioned I'm not saying that that is what these are. Just that a Metal Flake Roc (as opposed to a MF Roc3) is not out of the realm of possibility.

My inclination is that these are not Roc+'s. That is because on all my Roc+ I can clearly see my name and number on the rim and the non + molds it's a little bit more difficult. These are a little more difficult to see my name and number.

Okay, underside of the disc.

Top:
Innova Champion Discs, INC. www.innovadiscs.com
(All on one line)

Bottom:
Rancho Cucamonga, California, 91730

I have R-pro Roc+s with the same markings and other R-pro Roc+s with patent#. I also have an R-pro roc+ stammped disc that doesn't have a plussy rim. As well as R-pro rocs with 4/4/0/2, 4/4/0/3, and 4/5/0/2 (my not plussy plus mold Roc also has patent#)

I'll have to take out more of my rocs to see if I have any Rocs with the Rancho markings on the bottom.

Currently, I'm now thinking these are similar to my not plussy Roc+ r-pro.

It's nothing like my Roc3s though and I have R-pros that have the exact same bottom markings.

My guess is it's a not so plussy Roc+
That's cool; you have the disc and stuff to compare it to so that would be a better guess than what I can make. Truth be told, the rims on the Roc+ never bothered me that much. They just were not as stable as I would have liked. The ones I threw were R Pro, though. Champ might beef them up.

Yeah, Roc3 would be my guess as well.

So I'll try to post more photos, maybe pick up a MF Roc3, but handling these, there is no way they're Roc3s. They have more in common with my Roc+ which have identical bottom markings.

Is there anything I can find and use to determine between the plus and roc3?

Yeah, Roc3 would be my guess as well.

That's cool; you have the disc and stuff to compare it to so that would be a better guess than what I can make. Truth be told, the rims on the Roc+ never bothered me that much. They just were not as stable as I would have liked. The ones I threw were R Pro, though. Champ might beef them up.

I like the glide, it fits what I use them for. Curious to see about these, my Other champ is just all glide and a little fade at the end.

And so begins my Roc collecting days. Ordered two MF Rocs and two San Marino Star. Guess I gotta look for an Ontario now and get a Classic Roc.

Latest posts