• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The mythical Innova ROC

Classic roc is not a ROC. It's a totally different mold, size, shape, and a putter.
[rant]The Classic Roc was a putter-mid tweener, which is kinda funny today.

Back in the day when the Aviar was the putter there were some shallow small diameter variants that were faster and designed to be drivers at the time. The two that survived long enough that a lot of people are familiar with them were the XD and Classic Roc. They were always faster than a putter so they fell in this putter-mid tweener area.

After they survived all those years in this tweener niche, suddenly low-profile putters became the rage and everybody started selling one. They were this hot new idea in putters, which was funny because Innova had an overstable/understable low-profile "putter" pair the whole time. They just had never clearly sold them as such. So what did Innova do? The OOP'ed the XD and Classic Roc and started releasing "new" discs that did the same thing the XD and Classic Roc. 'Cause you know it has to be new, right?

Oh, and get off my damn lawn![/rant]

What is the difference between Flat top dx roc and dx Roc3? They seem to be the same disc
06189097eaf13d475b2d3331cddd3173.jpg

P1X | Judge | Harp | Roc/3/x3 | FD | TeeBird | PD | Destroyer | DD2

I did purchase a couple of the stained glass glow thrower rocs and I am very happy so far. I have the flu so I won't be able to throw them for a couple days, but they have that perfect roc shape and they are on the gummier side of champion. I actually ordered a couple more I liked how they felt so much.

are the 2013 and 2014 usdgc rocs worth anything? my 13 is the pro roc3 and the 14 is dx. Both have been sitting on my displayers since the week of

As someone who just switched from a KC cycle to a DX cycle for the better grip, my wallet is hurting reading about how nice the new run of DX rocs is.

As someone who just switched from a KC cycle to a DX cycle for the better grip, my wallet is hurting reading about how nice the new run of DX rocs is.

Is there a way to distinguish old run vs new run by feel? Or is it shape? Thx

Is there a way to distinguish old run vs new run by feel? Or is it shape? Thx

^ Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? No?

New ones I got are like this:
-embossed
-rigid rim
-firm flight plate
-low, even dome, not quite flat but definitely not poptop/drum
-overall feels like a Classic Aviar in the form of a DX Roc

They feel a lot different from the last of the penned ones and the first of the embossed ones, both in the overall firmness of the disc and the plastic. Plastic feels closer to Pro/P-line.

Last edited:
I did purchase a couple of the stained glass glow thrower rocs and I am very happy so far. I have the flu so I won't be able to throw them for a couple days, but they have that perfect roc shape and they are on the gummier side of champion. I actually ordered a couple more I liked how they felt so much.

You get a chance to get out and try them yet?

Random story: I took a DX Roc (one of the new embossed ones) and a S Warlock on a business trip and ended up on a course with a really narrow 400' shot with a nasty creek on the left and a four-lane road on the right with a strong headwind i.e. I really needed a Firebird. :| All I had was the Roc so I threw it full power and screwed up with a wrist roll and OAT'ed the thing out into the road. It was just sitting there and it got run over by a Volvo. Like not nicked or sideswiped or anything, lined-up full-on run over. So I skipped a DX Roc across the asphalt and it got run over by a car; it flies fine. It has road rash pretty much all around the bead and a little spot on the wing, and when I picked it up it had a tire mark on it but the tire mark rubbed off. Otherwise it's just a Roc.

Yeah, the recent run of DX Rocs is nice. :thmbup:

I'm currently trying to replace my MD5. Can anyone tell me how the Roc X3 compares to the MD5 or even the MD4?

I'm looking for the most OS version of the RocX3 I can get. Thanks.

I'm currently trying to replace my MD5. Can anyone tell me how the Roc X3 compares to the MD5 or even the MD4?

I'm looking for the most OS version of the RocX3 I can get. Thanks.
I mean isn't the MD5 a Gator-type mid? Faster, small diameter, really beefy...sound more like a Gator than a Roc variant to me.

The RocX3 and the MD4 are essentially the same disc IMO. The Roc3 and the MD3 seem like the same disc to me and they seem so close to the RocX3 and MD4 that I don't really get the point of all of these discs that fly essentially the same but that's just me. The only one of the "new" Roc variant discs that I thought was significantly more beefy was the Millennium Taurus, but it seemed more like and overstable Roc than an overstable Roc3 i.e. it's a tick slower. So again I'm back to the Gator.

If the Gator isn't beefy enough, there is the Gateway Demon. It's stupid-overstable, small diameter. If you really are looking beefy, that's the disc. The Discraft Drone is another really beefy mid but it's a little slower than Demon (from what I'm told since I can't throw either one of them :| )

The first two I got fly like a new Kc roc. The second two are much more overstable. The second two were more stiff than the first two but same great shape. Since they are thrower rocs they probably came from different runs.

So luck of the draw, got it. Was hoping for a sure fire beefy roc.

Latest posts