• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The mythical Innova ROC

Found some Star Rocs in my local Dick's Sporting goods. Stamp looks pretty updated, but they have patent number on the bottom of the flight plate. Dave putting Patent numbers back on or do I need to pick those up?
Rocs somehow missed the patent number purge, so they still have that on them. It's an easy way to tell a Roc from a Roc3, but a lousy way to tell the age of a Roc.

Rocs somehow missed the patent number purge, so they still have that on them. It's an easy way to tell a Roc from a Roc3, but a lousy way to tell the age of a Roc.

Besides embossing "ROC" instead of writing R in pen, is the tooling on the bottom of the Rancho Roc unchanged since its inception?

Besides embossing "ROC" instead of writing R in pen, is the tooling on the bottom of the Rancho Roc unchanged since its inception?
Yeah. Actually from what I could tell the tooling on the re-created Ontario Roc was the same as when it was in production. I'm not sure if I ever checked the re-created San Marino tooling.

Fun fact: The first time I recall letter initials written on discs was in '99 with the Eagle. Before that, there was no marking on them at all generally. Sometimes discs with a custom stamp would have the mold stamped in ink or written on them, but stock discs didn't. We ordered custom stamped discs one time and got Gazelles and Pegasus in the order; they came with no marking on them and I'll be damned if I can tell a Gazelle from a Pegasus by sight. We spent hours sorting them and guessing which was which.

Yeah. Actually from what I could tell the tooling on the re-created Ontario Roc was the same as when it was in production. I'm not sure if I ever checked the re-created San Marino tooling.

Fun fact: The first time I recall letter initials written on discs was in '99 with the Eagle. Before that, there was no marking on them at all generally. Sometimes discs with a custom stamp would have the mold stamped in ink or written on them, but stock discs didn't. We ordered custom stamped discs one time and got Gazelles and Pegasus in the order; they came with no marking on them and I'll be damned if I can tell a Gazelle from a Pegasus by sight. We spent hours sorting them and guessing which was which.

Which generation Gazelles...

1st, 2nd or 3rd...

Been a while since I even looked at or threw them
but my memory seems to think the Pegasus flew similar to Banshees.

Similar to how Scorpions flew similar to Barracudas...

Which generation Gazelles...

1st, 2nd or 3rd...

Been a while since I even looked at or threw them
but my memory seems to think the Pegasus flew similar to Banshees.

Similar to how Scorpions flew similar to Barracudas...
Whichever generation you got in '98? I was always a Cyclone guy. I threw Gazelles a little, but not enough to be a Gazelle guy.

The Pegasus is like the X2. I know I had some. I know I threw them. I don't remember a lot about them.

I will second this comment, I threw them a good bit in the field. They feel good and fly great and they are beefy, can't wait to actually get to a course and throw them

Impressed thus far with these, was straight to fade in a headwind with a flat release. Definitely the making of a good beefier Roc.

I actually think there's a speed break point relative to the air where lighter weight discs start giving you less distance due to the reduced momentum fighting the air resistance.

It probably varies a bit based on disc, nose angle and air density but I think for decently thrown drivers it's in roughly the low 60s (relative to airspeed).

I probably throw low to mid 60s on power throws and I don't normally get more distance with lighter discs, definitely get less distance with them in headwind and definitely get more in tailwind. The DD video with Eric Oakley throwing lighter discs seems to support it, too.

However on controlled shots and putts I almost always get more distance with lighter discs, unless I miss my angle.

Took a fresh 171 DX Rancho out this afternoon and found the bolded to be true. Outdrove two ~330' holes with it that I'm usually 20-30 short on. Definitely worth keeping in the bag.

Innova Factory Store had a couple KC Pro F2s up and I had some store cash to burn so I splurged on a couple. These are definitely older stock.

IMG-0596.jpg

IMG-0597.jpg

The red one says SB Roc, I'm assuming it's a special run for Steve Brinster? I was pretty excited not to see the plain old F2 on em either way!

That's a sick Brinster stamp. Looks like it was for the 2021 season, does it say "Team Innova Custom Stamp 2021" underneath the X out stamp?

That's a sick Brinster stamp. Looks like it was for the 2021 season, does it say "Team Innova Custom Stamp 2021" underneath the X out stamp?

Yep that's what it says. It's not quite as beefy as I was expecting and has pretty good glide. can't wait to get out on the course with it.

What kinds of shots and distances are you all using Rocs for? I've thought a lot about the roll of midranges in my game over the past while and keep going back and forth between the more old school approach of a shorter midrange game vs. the newer approach with pushing longer and longer distances.

I know a lot of people don't throw mids because their Envy or Zone or whatever putter will cover all their putter and mid shots, but a lot of people and vets on tour like Brinster and Philo are still rocking their Aviar/Roc combo playing a shorter game.

In the past, I've been a Buzzz/Hex guy, only experimenting with Rocs here and there. I've liked the Roc3 more than the Roc because I can lay into the 3 more (I usually cap out around 320' in the field, 300' on the course), but I'm constantly intrigued and want to be able to throw the Roc well. I'm debating conceding some distance and throwing the Roc to get more versatility.

What kinds of shots and distances are you all using Rocs for? I've thought a lot about the roll of midranges in my game over the past while and keep going back and forth between the more old school approach of a shorter midrange game vs. the newer approach with pushing longer and longer distances.

I know a lot of people don't throw mids because their Envy or Zone or whatever putter will cover all their putter and mid shots, but a lot of people and vets on tour like Brinster and Philo are still rocking their Aviar/Roc combo playing a shorter game.

In the past, I've been a Buzzz/Hex guy, only experimenting with Rocs here and there. I've liked the Roc3 more than the Roc because I can lay into the 3 more (I usually cap out around 320' in the field, 300' on the course), but I'm constantly intrigued and want to be able to throw the Roc well. I'm debating conceding some distance and throwing the Roc to get more versatility.

I went without mids for a while and leaned more on putters. As age has started catching up with me I am realizing those putter shots can be replaced with mids and require a little less oomph on my part.

The Roc kind of comes in and out of my bag in favor of other mids. Rocs (especially in base plastics) are workable for a variety of shots and are very versatile but I find them kind of a finesse disc. When my game is on the Roc is a thing of beauty but I've found some of the more modern designs a little more forgiving if my touch game is a little off. I still don't break out the mids for shots under 250' but I'll throw them almost exclusively for anything in the 250-300' range.

I went without mids for a while and leaned more on putters. As age has started catching up with me I am realizing those putter shots can be replaced with mids and require a little less oomph on my part.

The Roc kind of comes in and out of my bag in favor of other mids. Rocs (especially in base plastics) are workable for a variety of shots and are very versatile but I find them kind of a finesse disc. When my game is on the Roc is a thing of beauty but I've found some of the more modern designs a little more forgiving if my touch game is a little off. I still don't break out the mids for shots under 250' but I'll throw them almost exclusively for anything in the 250-300' range.

I'm in a very similar boat. I just moved, but my old place had a great 9 hole wooded course about five minutes down the road and it taught me how to throw my putters well. 260' in a fairly open shot is about my cutoff for putters, but then my mids jump up quite a bit. I might try to get out there with a Roc and try to do with it what I did with my putters.

I mainly throw mids for low ceiling or wooded holes in the 200-240 range. I don't throw very far so anything around 250 im reaching for an Eagle.

I mainly throw mids for low ceiling or wooded holes in the 200-240 range. I don't throw very far so anything around 250 im reaching for an Eagle.
Yeah, I can trust a putter to about 200' give or take. 250' and I'm throwing a driver most likely. Anything is that 200'-250' range is a mid shot.

However...

Once you get to around 400'-500' I need two throws to get there anyway. It's not drive-upshot; it's drive-drive. A lot of the time it is a choice between a drive with a driver and a drive with a putter VS taking two shots with my mid. I'll take the two mid shots a lot of the time, so those holes bring the mids back into play.

Over 500' I may still drive with the mid depending on the shot. Hell, there is a shot that is almost 700' here that the early gap tends to grow closed on that I throw a putter off the tee on.

Latest posts