• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Newest Greatest thing you just figured out

I've been struggling with my putting for forever it seems. Been working on my mental game with some reading which is helping, but thats not the latest greatest thing i just figured out. Tonight in the garage I tried out a new grip for putting where my index finger curls in under the disc at the first knuckle instead of resting it on the front edge. Used that grip with a push putt style and wow. Best I've ever putted almost instantly. I've still got to replicate the success in real play, but I'm stoked with the results so far. Drained 30 -25' putts in a row before coming inside. The grip felt a little odd at first but by the end it felt totally natural. Can't wait to get some more putting in.

I had a couple putting revelations yesterday.

First, I changed the angle of my wrist at the start of the putt. I made it so the angle of the hand relative to forearm is the same at the beginning and end of the putt. At the beginning this made it way nose-down but the arm motion tilts it up. It removes the variable of wrist rotation I was doing before (to keep the disc flat relative to the ground). I guess this means I'm doing more of a pitch putt than I thought.

Second, I spontaneously gave myself a mantra. I don't know why but it just came to me and I think it might help with timing and breathing. I started saying "serve it up" like "seerrrrvitUP" in my head, mouthing the words but not saying it out loud. The "it" is the start of the motion and the "UP" is the moment of release.

So it's only been one day practice putting like this, but I did way better than usual. We'll see how it goes.

Mark Ellis said:
Learned from 2-disc rounds: putters go far. Already seeing an improvement in my approaches by throwing putters from farther out than in the past. Wow.

PMantle said:
Mark Ellis said:
Learned from 2-disc rounds: putters go far. Already seeing an improvement in my approaches by throwing putters from farther out than in the past. Wow.

There you go - keep working on that. :)

PMantle said:
Mark Ellis said:

That's what i'm talking about congratulations!!! I would not wonder if other throws improve as well as a result of learning to control putters. It has happened to many if not all.

JR said:
PMantle said:
Mark Ellis said:

That's what i'm talking about congratulations!!! I would not wonder if other throws improve as well as a result of learning to control putters. It has happened to many if not all.
I have done a lot of field work, but most of it has been mid/FD/Driver. Never ever just threw a putter hard to see what it would do. Never saw the point.

Now that I've gotten a good bit past the 300' stall, I am not so consumed with drivers. In fact, I now have to find something else on 3 holes. Past one of our uphill 310ish holes is out of bounds.

I just recently started to drive with a putter/midrandge on about half to 3/4 of holes. It all started when i realized the more control i had with those discs and have added enough distance to them that i almost don't need anything higher than a fairway driver. Putters are going regularly 280' midrandges are going between 340-390' and my fairway drivers are going between 370-460'. That covers everything at my local courses. Plus i am a little guy and the big fat high speed lips don't seem to go as far for me. I only throw my high speeds 360-410'.

zeike524 said:
I just recently started to drive with a putter/midrandge on about half to 3/4 of holes....

I enjoyed a midrange/putter round today. I've always had a fairly consistent driving game, but the adage 'if you don't use it, you lose it' applies to all. I was forming some bad habits early on this season and once again realized the benefit of a solo practice round. Keep working on your midrange driving distance; It is so fun to casually toss a roc/buzz/whatever 20-30 feet past your friend's wraith/surge/whatever.

Agreed. I throw my mids about as far as my brother in laws nukes and farther than any disk in my best friends bag. Friend has some tecnique issues but doing that to the brother in law makes me happy. lol

I don't know if this is personal based on me slowly overcoming limitation set by an arm injury. I have never before been able to squeeze hard with any finger without tightening up all the arm muscles slowing down the arm. Today a hard index finger upward and toward the palm pinch even before i started to move did not feel like slowing down my arm. Neutron Tangent of the non flipping kind to 333' in mild rear wind and mild headwind to 313' tops normally 10-15' less in the headwind and 10' less in rear wind or calm. I gotta try that grip with familiar discs too and drivers to see how far i can get the discs :) BTW it was finally warm here yay! Rear wind Breaker har har gave me a lucky shot producing the longest putter drive i've ever had. 320'. It was lucky because any initial tilt away from flat and it drops at that power so fast that it loses a lot of distance and every foot of height matter a lot. Any too high and it slows down early fading and dropping short and not gliding that well low throws crash down early.

DGA First Flight Breaker 167. I assume that an XD would go farther. I count the Wedge more as a tweener but if it were to be counted as a putter then that would hold the D record for me in putters. When it was new i popped one to 350' in rear wind. I don't really count wind results as real anyway because on the course that is not what you can rely on.

Ok today i started with too much pinch in the first shots and it started to hurt in my previously aggravated for two years innermost section of the index finger. The tendon hurt and others have shared similar problems. The arm got so stiff that i lot D even though the throws felt ok. Loosening up a bit didn't help. I used the base of the thumb on the flight plate with the outermost section of the thumb in 70 degree angle on the flight plate. No additional D for the next couple of dozen of throws. Loosening up a little more in the index finger pinch and remembering to put some upward pressure with the index finger added some D. Moving the bottom of the disc to the outermost joint of the index and middle fingers brought D back and there the added pinch power really helps in avoiding slips and micro slips. By that time my arm had warmed up to as good as it would get and i got almost as much arm power generation as yesterday. So the D yesterday was at least partially from having a good day physique wise.

Being able to pinch up and in with a little more power but not 90+ % seemed to bring about the best results. Then the soccer field i was on filled up with soccer players go figure. The swirling harder winds than yesterday made it hard to gauge what was what but i did not get insane D like yesterday. That is normally the case on the field i was on today vs the one i was on yesterday. The kettle today has gusts coming in from all directions. It was funny to see the flags straight pointing in different directions around the course at the same time. So i would not put too much weight on these findings. I need to get rested and be able to get more shots in on a calm day. Today i got to almost my previous record with Champ Leo and GL River. Not bad in the wind but nothing huge yet. I got to my C PD record which considering the better wind handling is not surprising.

I just figured out that you don't have to throw hard in order to throw far. I know, everybody knows, no secret, yesterday's news.

Bah, I didn't believe it until today. For some reason (I still don't know what happened), I just loosened up and slowed down on my drives. Kaboom! There it was, I saw the light. Now I'm a believer :D

The mosquitoes have hit, with a vengeance.

I have a variety of bug sprays. The wimpy (and semi-worthless kind) has no deet in it. The marginal stuff has 7 to 15% deet. The better stuff has 25% deet. There is even stronger stuff than this but I can't bring myself to use it. Yet.

So the first thing I figured out is that mosquitoes have a tendency to attack the lower legs first. So I used the 25% deet on my feet and legs and used the weaker stuff for the waist up. I thought this might be a winning strategy. But I made the error of liberally spraying my hat with bug juice. Since I take my hat off to throw I got the slippery bug juice on my fingers and it messed with my grip. So I need to leave a place on my hat free of the spray and remember to only touch the hat there.

Then the next day the bugs became more ravenous. Like they are so desperate to suck your blood they become brazen and willing risk getting killed. I was spraying down my legs. A mosquito landed on my calf. I sprayed it directly with 25% deet from 3 inches away. It kept on sucking. This is a bad sign. When deet is bbq sauce for the damn bugs it is bad. They land on your bag or your cart like there is blood in there.

I should have walked off but I stayed and played a league in the devouring clouds of mosquitoes. It was a doubles league. My team won. We set a course record. I hit an ace. It was no fun. It was hot and humid and absolutely miserable. I felt claustrophobic. I could not escape the bugs. I sprayed the strong stuff on my face and they still attacked it. They bit my fingers as I was putting.

I know there is a kind of bug juice which is so strong you are not supposed to apply it to skin. If I drank it would I sweat it out my pores and scare the bloodsuckers away?

Michigan mosquitoes rival the ones in Minnesota. Did you know the mosquitoes is their state bird? :mrgreen: Here in Eastern Iowa we have pesky little nats. I use Absorbine Junior to keep those pests away. Works fairly well.

Mark Ellis said:

I have a variety of bug sprays. The wimpy (and semi-worthless kind) has no deet in it. The marginal stuff has 7 to 15% deet. The better stuff has 25% deet. There is even stronger stuff than this but I can't bring myself to use it. Yet.

So the first thing I figured out is that mosquitoes have a tendency to attack the lower legs first. So I used the 25% deet on my feet and legs and used the weaker stuff for the waist up. I thought this might be a winning strategy. But I made the error of liberally spraying my hat with bug juice. Since I take my hat off to throw I got the slippery bug juice on my fingers and it messed with my grip. So I need to leave a place on my hat free of the spray and remember to only touch the hat there.

Then the next day the bugs became more ravenous. Like they are so desperate to suck your blood they become brazen and willing risk getting killed. I was spraying down my legs. A mosquito landed on my calf. I sprayed it directly with 25% deet from 3 inches away. It kept on sucking. This is a bad sign. When deet is bbq sauce for the damn bugs it is bad. They land on your bag or your cart like there is blood in there.

I should have walked off but I stayed and played a league in the devouring clouds of mosquitoes. It was a doubles league. My team won. We set a course record. I hit an ace. It was no fun. It was hot and humid and absolutely miserable. I felt claustrophobic. I could not escape the bugs. I sprayed the strong stuff on my face and they still attacked it. They bit my fingers as I was putting.

I know there is a kind of bug juice which is so strong you are not supposed to apply it to skin. If I drank it would I sweat it out my pores and scare the bloodsuckers away?

Yeah, I have noticed the Mosquitos are out in WI as well. Be careful with the DEET, especially with young children. Use only as much as you need. Best thing to do is wear full length clothing and spray it directly on your clothes rather than skin... obviously that's hard to do in high heat/humidity. The difficult thing about approved/safe chemicals is that they are toxic when combined with other common chemicals. DEET + Antihistamine Medication combines to form a toxin. Sunscreen + Aloe Vera is being researched as a possible carcinogen.

Mark Ellis said:
[...]

Ya there is bug juice that's only for use on clothing, and it works great. It's called permethrin... spray your golf clothes with it and the treatment will last through several washings. It is a bug poison. Somehow the mosquitos know to stay away from it. Apparently it also kills ticks on contact, a bonus! :-D I get the best mosquito protection using permethrin-treated clothes plus DEET on my skin. For the DEET I like Ultrathon by 3M. It's a time-release formula (the DEET is encapsulated in a protein that slowly dissolves at body heat, very cool) so it lasts longer and doesn't soak into the skin.

Permethrin is great, especially against tics, which is why I like in on high socks. Be aware that it is extremely toxic to fish.

I noticed lately that my fairway drivers go about the same distance as my drivers. This is relegating the drivers to windy days and hard hyzers. It surprised me that when I broke down the distribution for off the tee it looked roughly even for midranges, putters, and fairway drivers, with drivers making up the last 10% for most advanced level courses.