• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Official 'Ask Paul McBeth' Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey McBeth. Been having problems getting past 300-330ft. Did you ever plateau at a certain distance? If so what was that distance and what did you do to move past it? Been trying to practice hip lead drills but I can't seem to make the timing click.

What are your feelings on the Tern? Do you see it in the bag at some point?

Something didn't feel right at first, but now it has become a real lazer for me.

What do you see as the main reasons Disc Golf isn't a bug money making sport where Pros can at least make a living?

Whats more important to you, Disc Golf becoming more mainstream, or Disc Golf remaining economically accessible for casual players? Or can both be true?

My wife saw David Feldberg smoking in a DG video at the HoF and said that is why DG will never be mainstream. What do you think about that? Does Disc Golf have to be more straight laced, athletic or ??? to go mainstream?

lulz... this opinion really makes me laugh.

Search how many pro golfers are major ganja tokers. Seriously. I hear it all the time how the pros absolutely light the locker rooms on fire with the stuff. Names that you know too, not the scrubs you've never heard of.
And yet, we're the ones with the hippie pot smoker image...

tumblr_lpy36ktAEC1qaoyyso1_500.gif

But yeah, I know, we've earned that part of the image too... :doh:

Paul,

I have just recently gotten to the 400' mark and I'm looking to get up to 500' as my next goal in hopes of being able to throw 400-450 consistently. What is the longest distance you can throw consistently and accurately on the course?

Something didn't feel right at first, but now it has become a real lazer for me.

Paul has said multiple times in YouTube videos that he throws the tern.

Search how many pro golfers are major ganja tokers. Seriously. I hear it all the time how the pros absolutely light the locker rooms on fire with the stuff. Names that you know too, not the scrubs you've never heard of.
And yet, we're the ones with the hippie pot smoker image...

But yeah, I know, we've earned that part of the image too... :doh:

The irony in that song was that most of the situations described aren't actually examples of irony.

Me too! I love the Tern. Longest disc in my bag... until my brother-in-law ran over it with a mower while I was practicing... need another one badly before tournament this weekend.

My wife saw David Feldberg smoking in a DG video at the HoF and said that is why DG will never be mainstream. What do you think about that? Does Disc Golf have to be more straight laced, athletic or ??? to go mainstream?

Go to any PGA ball golf event and watch the guys smoking... That part has nothing to do with it in my opinion. It'll be mainstream soon enough. It's still relatively young and gaining momentum.

If I recall correctly Angel Cabrerra was prominently shown smoking (and it was even discussed by the commentators) during The Masters this year. And I will admit that something about it fits his personality and the way he plays the game (which is a good thing, i think).

In a tense game where 'mental stamina' and calm nerves matter... I can see why smokers would want to smoke. What can ya do really? Its a legal activity in a free country. Shouldn't have any negative impact on the game at the highest level.

If I recall correctly Angel Cabrerra was prominently shown smoking (and it was even discussed by the commentators) during The Masters this year. And I will admit that something about it fits his personality and the way he plays the game (which is a good thing, i think).

In a tense game where 'mental stamina' and calm nerves matter... I can see why smokers would want to smoke. What can ya do really? Its a legal activity in a free country. Shouldn't have any negative impact on the game at the highest level.

I remember seeing him do it a couple years ago as well. IIRC Tiger was chasing him down in the last couple holes and you could see it was getting to him.

There's been over a decade of baseball/steroid talk and MLB is still raking in the cash and the players are still making more money than 99% of college graduates. If you want to bring up the infancy of baseball and how that would of stunted it's growth then go read the history books, they used to all be on amphetamines and everybody knew about that. It still became America's past time.

We live in America, the queen bee of drug consumption. Drugs don't hurt anyones image, if that were true Robert Downey Jr wouldn't be Iron Man. If anything the pot smoking label is pushing more kids towards the game.

Last edited:
There's been over a decade of baseball/steroid talk and MLB is still raking in the cash and the players are still making more money than 99% of college graduates. If you want to bring up the infancy of baseball and how that would of stunted it's growth then go read the history books, they used to all be on amphetamines and everybody knew about that. It still became America's past time.

We live in America, the queen bee of drug consumption. Drugs don't hurt anyones image, if that were true Robert Downey Jr wouldn't be Iron Man. If anything the pot smoking label is pushing more kids towards the game.

That last sentence was something I had never thought of...Im fairly positive that it was the first time I have read a comment by New, that inspired thought!

Go to any PGA ball golf event and watch the guys smoking... That part has nothing to do with it in my opinion. It'll be mainstream soon enough. It's still relatively young and gaining momentum.

Generally agree, but it is pretty hard to determine how ball golfers smoking would be viewed if ball golf was up and coming too. There are things you can do when your sport is well established, that you probably cannot/should not do if you are trying to make a new sport break through. The public attitude towards smoking has changed and acceptance has been grandfathered in for ball golf, to some extent.

Whether players smoking is a real negative for disc golf in that aspect is a bit hard to conclude on - but that they are doing it in other big and established sports is not grounds for conclusions either.

Thats true, but when people turn on the TV and baseball is on, do they say "ugh, isn't that the sport where all the players do steroids? turn that off."

When people turn on disc golf on TV (which they actually now can) do you want them to say "ugh, isn't that the thing potheads play while they get high? turn that off."

Do you think "Stand and Deliver" would help the game in regard to legitimacy/skill/growing the sport, instead of being allowed to run up to your lie? Would it work as a "sand trap" or "rough" as a penalty in marked areas?

Thats true, but when people turn on the TV and baseball is on, do they say "ugh, isn't that the sport where all the players do steroids? turn that off."

If that was the case, the MLB wouldn't be televised and having brands shell out tons of $ for advertising during commercial breaks.

So how about that "Ask Paul McBeth" thread?

If that was the case, the MLB wouldn't be televised and having brands shell out tons of $ for advertising during commercial breaks.

So how about that "Ask Paul McBeth" thread?

thats what my point was, they dont say that. but I guarantee they would if our sport has that associated with it

Status
Not open for further replies.