• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Official 'Ask Paul McBeth' Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
today I was doing field work...I was getting my wizard out around 240ish...my buzzz probably 280-285, and my drivers only like 300 (other than my saint probably 325) Why is the distance not jumping up? What can I do to change this?

This may have been asked before, but could you walk us through your exact line of thinking when you walk up to a putt?

Do you have a mental checklist that you go through? What are you aiming at? Do you visualize the flight of the disc? What about your release? Do you still actively think about your release and arm movement or is it all muscle memory and you are somewhat on autopilot?

Stuff like that.

walking up to the putt it was "wow this is a good sized gallery, and man how embarrassing would it be to miss this putt" then once i got to my discs it goes blank and just breathe.

The tommy you threw in The masters cup was SICK. What disc?

At 3:27 of this vid. Can see your baseball background with that throw

it was a star max. i was throwing them about 5 feet to wide or else i think the would be birdies every round

Congrats on the win in Copenhagen. It was a treat to watch you and the other pros play. What did you think of the course? How does it compare to other major courses? (if you disregard the baskets) What was your favorite and least favorite hole, and what hole did you find the most dificult?

i can't say it truly compares to other major courses in difficulty or length but it was a decent course. favorite hole was probably 17 least favorite was 11 and toughest was 6

My question way back on page 217 was:

Because 80+ % of the people on this site do exactly that. Most of them do not use their hips at all. They exclusively arm their throws, top out somewhere around 350', and never really figure out how to break through this distance barrier. This just seemed like a good platform for an expert to speak to the masses on the subject matter in which he is an expert. Lord knows these 900 rated know-it-alls on here need your help. Heck, I'm top 5 in my state and I still could use your help.

But like I said, you blew me off of my first ever post here so we are now mortal enemies. :p Suck it Beastie Boy.

i see i see, situations like this i like to refer to baseball. when you swing a bat your hips turn then your hands follow just like a disc throw

I just went out field testing and I can throw:

Putters 230 feet

Mids 260 feet

Fairway drivers 300 feet

Max distance drivers 360 feet if everything clicks, usually it's about 300.

Forehand is max 300 feet.

What discs should I practice with to get more distance?

all of them but you need to learn the release points for each disc to get its max distance. for instance you dont throw a putter on the same angle or line as a distance driver so learn all those discs is a good start then to gain speed throw putters and mids

Hey McBeth. Been having problems getting past 300-330ft. Did you ever plateau at a certain distance? If so what was that distance and what did you do to move past it? Been trying to practice hip lead drills but I can't seem to make the timing click.

go to a pool and throw underwater speed your arm up with water drills.

What are your feelings on the Tern? Do you see it in the bag at some point?

Something didn't feel right at first, but now it has become a real lazer for me.

they are sick i'm still trying to find a use for it besides distance still

What do you see as the main reasons Disc Golf isn't a bug money making sport where Pros can at least make a living?

Whats more important to you, Disc Golf becoming more mainstream, or Disc Golf remaining economically accessible for casual players? Or can both be true?

My wife saw David Feldberg smoking in a DG video at the HoF and said that is why DG will never be mainstream. What do you think about that? Does Disc Golf have to be more straight laced, athletic or ??? to go mainstream?

i'd like it mainstream, look at other sports like baseball,football ect parents sign their kids up so the can try to become professional and make millions. that is what disc golf is missing right now.

smoking will never fly with tv, you dont see other sports with smokers in the middle of their rounds or games. golf has smokers but they dont put them on tv anymore.

Paul,

I have just recently gotten to the 400' mark and I'm looking to get up to 500' as my next goal in hopes of being able to throw 400-450 consistently. What is the longest distance you can throw consistently and accurately on the course?

550 would be safe to say maybe 600 if there is nothing i the way

Go to any PGA ball golf event and watch the guys smoking... That part has nothing to do with it in my opinion. It'll be mainstream soon enough. It's still relatively young and gaining momentum.

i didnt see any players smoking at The Farmers Insurance Open this year.

Do you think "Stand and Deliver" would help the game in regard to legitimacy/skill/growing the sport, instead of being allowed to run up to your lie? Would it work as a "sand trap" or "rough" as a penalty in marked areas?

no i dont like that idea if people want to run up then do it they know the consequences.

today I was doing field work...I was getting my wizard out around 240ish...my buzzz probably 280-285, and my drivers only like 300 (other than my saint probably 325) Why is the distance not jumping up? What can I do to change this?

each disc has a different flight you need to learn to utilize that disc for it's maximum disctance.

Paul, thanks again for playing (and winning) the Inaugural Little River Open. Your visit here is now even more special. The Little River DGC is more than likely completely destroyed by yesterday's tornado. The 7-11 on the northeast corner of the park is no longer there. The neighborhoods just south and southwest of the course are leveled. I just thought you might like to know that you are one of the privileged to get to play a very young but promising course that is now, more than likely, extinct. While the course being destroyed is not even a blip on the radar compared to the fatalities and property destroyed, the course will be missed by those of us that loved to play it.

Status
Not open for further replies.