• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Official 'Ask Paul McBeth' Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
400 foot tunnel shot, low ceiling, no wind, you are going to throw a driver.

What do you throw? Dead flat, slight annie, hyzer flip? What would the disc be?

Fun read. Thank you and good luck next year. I went through some dark years playing tourney's. Bad money, bad people. It sounds like you are getting it right.

I'm not the target of this question, but I'd probably throw a tantrum.

Paul,
No question here but just some info. for what it's worth. I have always putted with DX Aviar P&A's. but was not feeling the flemziness of them. i would get 5 or so at a time and then pick the stiffest ones out of the lot and sell the rest. but it has been increasingly harder and harder to find stiffer DX P&A's. So i switched recetnly to Grid Stamp "Classic Aviars" i really like them as they feel great and still fly (putting) like P&A's. My point is you need to make this P&A's in Pro plastic thing happen. This sounds like exactly what i have been looking for. Especially with your comment abou the amount of glide you are getting out the Proto's. So good luck with getting that signature disc you want. You deserve it and you have 10 already sold right here.

2 things:
1) Do you have a rough draft schedule for 2013? What tournaments are you really excited for?

2) These last two years I've been on the AM side of the Brent Hambrick Memorial Open, and I've been rooting for you so I could see you in the finals. What has been troubling you about the courses in the past? With that being said, I hope you make the trip out here even though our great Tour Manager bumped it down to an A-Tier.

I hope so, I just havent seen abything tempting enough to go up there lately.

allow me to attempt to tempt then.
Next year manitowac in the park will have a new course rollin ridge included(could be most challenging in WI and is a must play!). with that silver creek the other course played added 7 new holes and is a beautiful place to play in wisconsin along lake michigan.
i believe the td is trying to make it a tour stop, if not an a tier for sure. It will be the tourney that most players in wi are going to consider a must play out of all other tourneys up here.

otherwise mad city open is always a great event as well as standing rocks and sandy point.

thanks again and good luck next year!

Ha, that was obvious.

I do somewhat sympathise with some of the players who blew up there. I'm only average, but I've definitely had a few "AJ moments" on Nevin! Mental game is the biggest challenge for me, I've gotten better, but I did once pull a "rolling rainbow" on 4, where I dumped the contents of my bag, and they all rolled down the slope to the right, like I'd spilled a pack of gummi lifesavers. I started practicing for realz after that point, like 2 years ago, and it turns out the focused practice helps mental game more than actual game.

Congrats on a great win here. I was pulling for the local hippy hero, but was glad to see someone win who didn't think they were playing a different course than the rest of the field.

Thanks man, that is a mentally draining course each 9 holes feels like 18

400 foot tunnel shot, low ceiling, no wind, you are going to throw a driver.

What do you throw? Dead flat, slight annie, hyzer flip? What would the disc be?

Fun read. Thank you and good luck next year. I went through some dark years playing tourney's. Bad money, bad people. It sounds like you are getting it right.

Depending on how low ceiling it could either be a Destroyer,PD or teebird a roc is normally only used for tunnel shots with no ceilings

Paul,
No question here but just some info. for what it's worth. I have always putted with DX Aviar P&A's. but was not feeling the flemziness of them. i would get 5 or so at a time and then pick the stiffest ones out of the lot and sell the rest. but it has been increasingly harder and harder to find stiffer DX P&A's. So i switched recetnly to Grid Stamp "Classic Aviars" i really like them as they feel great and still fly (putting) like P&A's. My point is you need to make this P&A's in Pro plastic thing happen. This sounds like exactly what i have been looking for. Especially with your comment abou the amount of glide you are getting out the Proto's. So good luck with getting that signature disc you want. You deserve it and you have 10 already sold right here.

I'll see what I can do :hfive:

2 things:
1) Do you have a rough draft schedule for 2013? What tournaments are you really excited for?

2) These last two years I've been on the AM side of the Brent Hambrick Memorial Open, and I've been rooting for you so I could see you in the finals. What has been troubling you about the courses in the past? With that being said, I hope you make the trip out here even though our great Tour Manager bumped it down to an A-Tier.

All I know is the NTs and Majors so far..

I've been so close at the hambrick every year but the Dam course just doesnt suit my game... I normally struggle there. I want to play that final 9 bad!

allow me to attempt to tempt then.
Next year manitowac in the park will have a new course rollin ridge included(could be most challenging in WI and is a must play!). with that silver creek the other course played added 7 new holes and is a beautiful place to play in wisconsin along lake michigan.
i believe the td is trying to make it a tour stop, if not an a tier for sure. It will be the tourney that most players in wi are going to consider a must play out of all other tourneys up here.

otherwise mad city open is always a great event as well as standing rocks and sandy point.

thanks again and good luck next year!

Ive wanted to hit up sandy point up also mad city, I don't know why I haven't yet.

Ive wanted to hit up sandy point up also mad city, I don't know why I haven't yet.

Sandy Point is an fun and awesome course . . . add in the tourney setting and the hospitality of the Cozzens and it makes it so much better of an experience.

I haven't even been there yet for the Northwoods as it is my anniversary . . . but I think this might be the year we make a change in our anniversary plans to go there instead of our typical location.

If DGCR got a skins game going how much would they have to get in pot to get you and MJ, and two others to play at Nevin this spring! :)

Paul, you mentioned you keep Teebirds, PDs, and Destroyers in the bag. I was wondering what shots do you use the PD for that can't be covered with either the Teebird or the Destroyer? I throw Destroyers and Eagles for most of my longer drives. I've been curious about PDs myself but I feel that Destroyers pick up exactly where Eagles left off so I'm not sure if I would ever throw it.

When you throw distance drives, is your grip very tight at the point of release or is it more of a relaxed release? also..which finger is the last to come off the disc?

I'm wondering because it seems to make little to no snapping sound when you and some other pros release the disc. However, some long arms have an audible snap when they release. I feel I get better distance when I allow the disc to fly out of my hand as smooth as possible...rather than squeezing hard at the rip point...seems to just create more drag for me. Just curious how you do it.

Any tips on how to get the disc to come off so cleanly?

Thanks for fielding all our questions, Paul!

Status
Not open for further replies.