• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The "P" in PDGA...

No sanctioned doubles leagues at this point but I know Kevin McCoy would like to move in that direction.

No sanctioned doubles leagues at this point but I know Kevin McCoy would like to move in that direction.
By not allowing it, you just shut people like us out. Maybe there are only a handful of clubs that would sanction a double league, but even as small as we are you would get 10 members @ $45 + a buck a head or about $25-$30 a month for eight months so they could make $700 off of just our tiny league and in return they have to do...nothing? Provide insurance that is never going to be used. I don't see what the hold-up is. Just do it.

Outside of points, I don't see why the PDGA should sanction doubles leagues.

By not allowing it, you just shut people like us out. Maybe there are only a handful of clubs that would sanction a double league, but even as small as we are you would get 10 members @ $45 + a buck a head or about $25-$30 a month for eight months so they could make $700 off of just our tiny league and in return they have to do...nothing? Provide insurance that is never going to be used. I don't see what the hold-up is. Just do it.

My club is a nonprofit and buys its own insurance for under $500 a year. If your players are willing to fork out $700 for PDGA sanctioning, why would they not be willing to fork out $400-something for the insurance required to "legitimize" the club with the local govt.?

Because it would increase participation in the sport.

Moreover, it would show the PDGA realizes that (best shot) dubs is the only way the most and least skilled players can compete fairly in the same event. This promotes transfer of knowledge on one side, and tolerance on the other.

Outside of points, I don't see why the PDGA should sanction doubles leagues.

Because it would increase participation in the sport.

Moreover, it would show the PDGA realizes that (best shot) dubs is the only way the most and least skilled players can compete fairly in the same event. This promotes transfer of knowledge on one side, and tolerance on the other.

Fair handicapping is the best way for lesser skilled players to compete in leagues.

We got hit with an insurance requirement, so we can't officially have league anymore.

You mean the City of Rolla or the parks dept. is requiring it?

I know we don't carry any specifically for our leagues and I don't think Camdenton, Eldon, Lebanon, or Columbia do either. I think most of the municipalities have blanket insurance for their parks. My wife was the mayor in a small town down near Springfield and I know they did as well. Have to have it for playground equipment and stuff. We didn't even have to get any for our PDGA tournaments. Perhaps it's because you guys are "regular users of the park" maybe? Seems odd. There could be a family that meets every Sunday after church to picnic and enjoy the park... do they need insurance?

My son is moving back to Rolla next spring, so maybe I'll get him to run for offic.

Fair handicapping is the best way for lesser skilled players to compete in leagues.

Define fair.

For example, I play in a handicapped league where the handicap is 80% of the difference between your average and the field average for five rounds. The highest scores are thrown out of the group of five. Sound fair?

If you think about it, the players averaging under par are only "penalized" by 80%, whereas the players averaging over par are only "helped" by 80%. Also the lesser skilled players (theoretically) have more variability in their scoring, so tossing out their worst scores hurts them more. Looking at the weekly results, the top 20 places are dominated by open & advanced players, with only a few intermediate & novices cashing.

However, the system was developed to minimize sandbagging, and it does seem to work for that. It may not be totally fair, but it's fair enough. And IMO that's about as good as handicapping can get.

My club is a nonprofit and buys its own insurance for under $500 a year. If your players are willing to fork out $700 for PDGA sanctioning, why would they not be willing to fork out $400-something for the insurance required to "legitimize" the club with the local govt.?
It's more complicated than that. You have to raise the $400-something first. If we sanctioned, it would just be a couple of bucks this week and a couple of bucks next week.

Wasn't there a motion on the table a few years ago to change the P from "Professional" to "Players"?

The decision was to primarily just use the PDGA acronym rather than spell out Professional Disc Golf Association in media correspondence.

Latest posts