• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Redundancy of reviewing Top Rated Courses

The first Time I had actual Internet problems when posting and info was gone. I did do a better job the second time. Thanks though.

Is that sign of you posting avatar real?

It sure is, #11 at Englewood Park in Rocky Mount, NC. Funny thing is, its along side a small, T-ball field and doesn't look like a designated parking lot anyway! :doh:

another reason there shouldn't be a requirement to actually write a review. I wouldn't mind being able to just rate a course and maybe add a few words if something stood out for me. I understand this is dgcR, but I'm also a lazy writer :)

that's one of the things i don't like about Udisc.
I recently played a 9 hole, lightly wooded, no water flat course that was rated a 4.5 on there.

It sure is, #11 at Englewood Park in Rocky Mount, NC. Funny thing is, its along side a small, T-ball field and doesn't look like a designated parking lot anyway! :doh:

We could use this on a hole on our out of town course I mention before, it was on the 1 hole. the State ended up planting trees to the left that I am not sure if they are still there but they also did not think and planted not enough and one or two too close to each other.

Please keep reviewing top courses. Courses change over time. Moraine had just rubber fly pads and Mach III baskets when reviews started. Now there are concrete tees, Mach V baskets, new fairways and landscaping. I like to see what people say about courses as the years go by.

It takes forever to get to trusted reviewer if you only review courses nobody goes to. I've got a bunch of reviews of courses where none of the reviews have more than 2 thumbs ups.
But you roll into a popular course, say you love it, and all locals give you a bunch of thumbs ups. So I can see why people do it.

I won't begrudge anyone writing a review for any reason. However, I do think that some are more self-serving, by which I mean that they don't contribute much new information but they do get a lot of thumbs for the reviewer. Even when that's the case, this is Disc Golf Course Review...if you can't write that redundant review here, where can you?? Nobody is forcing anyone else to read through redundant reviews.

However, a somewhat similar gripe:

A course getting a bunch of redundant reviews is like a review getting a bunch of thumbs, or a course getting onto the Top 10 list for that matter. To some extent all of these systems involve feedback loops that amplify and emphasize perceived popularity. That's well and good for people who want to engage in such things, but these statistics shouldn't be taken as seriously as they are (IMO).

This course has 100 reviews!
This review has 20 thumbs up!
This course is on the Top 10 list!

None of these statements are that objectively impressive to me. They are more informative about the way that people engage/succeed in the popularity contest that is DGCR. It's kind of like an election for 7th grade class president: if you're able to sufficiently step back and view it from the outside, you see that it's not all that important. Certainly not as important as it's made out to be by some folks.

Now, before everyone gets out the pitchforks and torches, I'm not trying to badmouth any of the courses that are (or have been) on the Top 10 list. I'm sure they're all great, and I'd love to play them all. What I'm saying is that I don't see much objective difference in value between a great course that's not on the Top 10 list vs. one that is/has been on the Top 10 list. So that particular feather in the cap is meaningless to me.

I mean, heck, there's a pretty extensive thread where people make a big deal out of the weekly changes in the Top 10 list. It's purely amusing to me. Courses come and go from The List at the drop of a single review. People fuss like that's some sort of flaw in the system, whereas in reality that fleeting nature is the heart and soul of the system. On a fundamental level, the composition and order of the Top 10 list are volatile and arbitrary.

Latest posts