• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Sarge in SC Question

SonicDG

My family is taking a vacation to Hilton Head Island in the second week in July. I used the website's map to see what courses were available in that area. The Sarge, a course on HHI located on church property, and one in Savannah popped up. I really want to play The Sarge but I saw in a lot of the reviews it said stuff about reptiles....this is a big concern for me. I am deathly afraid of snakes, we have a few at my local courses but nothing that serious. If they are going to be a problem I may just pass on the course. I was wondering if I could get the opinions on the course from any of the locals?

Thanks!!

I'm not a local but I've played the Sarge twice. If you haven't every been in the lowcountry of South Carolina before, you are basically playing in a swampy marsh. You will likely see alligators and snakes in the water surrounding the course, but they are more afraid of you than you should be of them. I played it in sandals both times and was not bitten by anything, although I would suggest you wear boots when you play.

I really enjoyed the course; it is easy to get to and is well-maintained. The course rewards well-placed shots and will punish any wild throws. Enjoy your trip!

I've been there a few times. It's a great course! Just follow these tips:
1. Don't wear shorts and flip flops. Wear something that is appropriate for being in the woods. The brush will tear you up!
2. Pick up one of those Heavy duty construction Tape measures. (Walmart, Stanley brand around $10)
You'll want it in case you have to retrieve a disc from the water. I did avoid a water moccasin because I used a tape measure.
3. Don't go in the water.

In reality, I've lived in Florida and South Carolina and I play courses like that all the time. Remember, they are more afraid of you than you are of them. I hate snakes too, but every time I see one they are usually slithering away. Out of the 4 times I've played The Sarge, I've only seen one. The aforementioned Water Moccasin. It is a swamp course, so there are snakes and gators. But really, they'll only attack if you disturb them. You'll be fine! You may see a snake, but odds are it'll leave you alone. Keep an eye out, don't just blindly grab into grass for your disc. You'll be fine! It's a great course!

Just remember to sign in at the station. Tom Triplett is about 20 minutes down the road as well. I've played both in one day before.

Last edited:
ive played there a few times, never seen a snake that i remember. i saw a couple gators in the water. i saw a coyote too. there's a good chance a disc may go in the water. i went in for mine. i just figured on the creatures being more afraid of me and i wanted my firebird back.

I'm not terribly fond of snakes either, so I feel you there. I've played both Jasper and Tom Triplett and didn't run into any problems.

Remember you're in a public park, it's not a wilderness course. Annoyance by mosquitos will far outweigh snake and gator danger, lol.

Threw a disc in the water on like 15 16 or 17, went in for it and waded for 30 minutes. Course the water was 50 degrees and I was cold the rest of the day but I got it. Too cold for snakes and gators. I say man up. There are snakes on every course. Alligators arent going to drag you in.

Got another question, looks like ill only get to play one of The Sarge or Tommy, not both. Which should I play, I kinda want to throw over water cause I don't get too very often at my home courses

To my taste, the Sarge has more very good holes, but also more poor holes. By "very good" I mean challenging, with lots of water involved and interesting routes. By "poor", I mean very tight wooded holes.

Triplett is more even---no "wow" holes, but no "bad" holes, either. It's mostly a woods course.

Given the choice I'd play Triplett, by a very small margin. But ultimately it depends on what you like. The water hazards at the Sarge aren't just throwing over water---though there's some of that---but also throwing alongside or hooking around water, in rather interesting ways.

Latest posts