• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Small World of Disc Golf

To the topic, the growth of disc golf won't greatly change the community aspect. It's very unlikely to grow to major sport status, but is highly likely to continue its current growth and be much bigger than it is now.

I've played a long time, and disc golf has grown about tenfold over those years. It had aspects of a tight-knit community then....and it does now. The difference is the tight-knit community I once knew covered several states; now it's much smaller geographically, as there are many more players around here.

Growth means more courses, more variety of courses, more events, more variety of events......and close-knit groups, just more of them.

Growth means more courses, more variety of courses, more events, more variety of events......and close-knit groups, just more of them.

Let's get these courses built!

I love that the sport is growing, but can't stand the 10 - 15 minute back ups that occur on holes because of how many large groups are out there playing.

Let's at least agree that we won't go out and play in groups of 6 or 7 (I've seen 8) people, OK?

I'm a big proponent of pay-to-play.

:popcorn:

I like how the sport has grown in my area. When I started playing seriously 26 years ago we had 7 courses. Now we have 32 with many more a hour away. I like that it's not a huge attraction and I can go anytime and find a course to play with no hassles.

As far as dogs on leashes. yesterday I played with tbird888 and he had his boxer with him. Great dog, friendly and never a problem...well except when the leash got in the way of the tee pad. If Steve had removed the leash it would have been even less of a problem than the leash being on the dog.
Of course I wouldn't think that about just any dog, but one as well behaved at Steve's boxer I have no problem having no leash on them.

I like the tight community and with the exception of a individual on this forum who never sent me my disc in a trade everyone i have ever met has been down to earth, stand up people. Keep it small, i dont want the "im a pro so i have the right to be a complete and total spode or the ponce buy my dvd and read my book to shave five strokes fast people" in this awesome sport

Out of that whole positive post, you guys have to start another dogs off their leashes rant? Boo.

The dogs are NEVER the problem....rather it's the idiots who don't know how to handle their dogs. They are the ones who need to be leashed while in public. :doh:

Anyhoo.....the world of Disc Golf can be as big as you want it. Even if there are eventually tourneys broadcast live on ESPN, you don't have to pay attention.

Sure, that type of growth may bring out more chuckers, but it will also bring out more course options. Most disc golfers agree that new/bigger/better courses is a step in the right direction....especially the private courses that are well designed and maintained. :thmbup:

The dogs are NEVER the problem....rather it's the idiots who don't know how to handle their dogs. They are the ones who need to be leashed while in public.

My buddy and I were walking out of my GF's apartment to head to league a few years ago. As were walking in the parking lot we see two people walking towards us. I say, "Does that lady have a beard?" As we got closer to each other I could see it was no lady, but rather, a man dressed in woman's clothes. To tie it all together, he wore a super-thick leather collar and a leash. A fat, balding man was behind him with the other end of the leash walking him. One of the weirdest things I've ever seen.

My buddy and I were walking out of my GF's apartment to head to league a few years ago. As were walking in the parking lot we see two people walking towards us. I say, "Does that lady have a beard?" As we got closer to each other I could see it was no lady, but rather, a man dressed in woman's clothes. To tie it all together, he wore a super-thick leather collar and a leash. A fat, balding man was behind him with the other end of the leash walking him. One of the weirdest things I've ever seen.

Well they are just following the leash law... And for gods sake he better have a poop bag for him don't want to offend anyone... :D

Since this seems to be a double topic thread...

I enjoy the small, community feel of disc golf. At the same time, I would also love to see more private courses that are built through the growth and promotion of the sport. I live in Manchester, NH (population 110,000) which is the biggest city in NH and the closest course is 30 min away (Top O' The Hill 35 min North, Muldoon Park 30 min south). That makes it tough to get out after work and have time for anything more than speed round before dark. As long as disc golf doesn't turn into a sport where the top players a nothing more than grossly over-paid drama queens, than I am a proponent of growth.

As for the dogs, I bring my dog to every course I play (non-tournament) that allows dogs. My dog is very well behaved and shows no interest is picking up discs. He actually chases them through the air, finds them, and stands by the discs until I get there. He has saved me a lot of plastic on my bad shots. I always scoop the poop and he is only off-leash if I have the course owner's permission and there is no one else on the course. Otherwise he stays leashed. He is very friendly and loves people and other dogs, but not everyone wants a lab running over to greet them while they are trying to throw.

I don't have a problem with dogs being off leash as long as they are being controlled. I like to bring mine with me. Last time I had him running loose he tried to take off into the woods, so I hung on to him after that. Though at this time, there was nobody at the course besides us. DG is pretty quiet in the winter in MN. I'll probably have him with me more this summer so I can work with him while I am playing. If it's busy, he will just be tethered to my bag so he can't run off and bother other players.

The park I play at the most has tons of walking/skiing trails. People are always hiking through with loose dogs. It's starting to get kind of annoying because they act like they own the place and won't wait if we are in the middle of something. One of the last times I was there, we were putting and someone came walking through and his dog was running around us. Never tried to get the dog to leave us alone or anything. Probably doesn't bother me as much as others since I am a dog lover, but I can see people getting very annoyed by this which is why mine stays on a leash right now.

To stay on topic of this thread, I like that it's not super huge. It's growing so the number of courses is as well which is great, but the fact that I can find 10 courses fairly close that I don't have to pay for is awesome.

no dogs allowed. period. you walk your dog and then you play. im tired of seeing dog poop everywhere.

I like knowing a bunch of people at different courses. but I don't like the hive mentality when everyone acts rude to newcomers and n00bs. its just frisbees, not something cool. so stop acting like it is.

I like how the sport has grown in my area. When I started playing seriously 26 years ago we had 7 courses. Now we have 32 with many more a hour away. I like that it's not a huge attraction and I can go anytime and find a course to play with no hassles.

As far as dogs on leashes. yesterday I played with tbird888 and he had his boxer with him. Great dog, friendly and never a problem...well except when the leash got in the way of the tee pad. If Steve had removed the leash it would have been even less of a problem than the leash being on the dog.
Of course I wouldn't think that about just any dog, but one as well behaved at Steve's boxer I have no problem having no leash on them.

I appreciate the kind words, Jerry. :thmbup:

I keep him on a leash because he tends to wander down the fairway when we're on the tee. Still working on that!

no dogs allowed. period. you walk your dog and then you play. im tired of seeing dog poop everywhere.

Shove it. There are respectful and disrespectful dog owners just like there are respectful and disrespectful disc golfers. I leash my dog and clean up after him (one of the cup holders in my Squirrel Monkey is full of biodegradeable pick up bags). I also pick up trash from the aforementioned disrespectful disc golfers along the way.

I would hate it if Smokey couldn't come enjoy the outdoors with me. He's racked up somewhere around 15-20 courses in 5 states in the year and a half that I've had him. Not bad for a dog who spent seven of his first eleven months tied to a tree being neglected before I got him!!

Last edited: