• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Southern California Virus

I think you got 3 thumbs up on that review just for posting the link.

/Silently taking notes...

haha for real?

i just wanted to show that i have a lot of love for morley...it just has too damn many people playing there.

on a side note, i always used to meet cool people there when i was playing the course regularly in 1999-2000. cool people. lots of cool people. too many cool people. it would be cool if they set up a reservation system or something there.:\

haha for real?

i just wanted to show that i have a lot of love for morley...it just has too damn many people playing there.

on a side note, i always used to meet cool people there when i was playing the course regularly in 1999-2000. cool people. lots of cool people. too many cool people. it would be cool if they set up a reservation system or something there.:\

A reservation system would be the way to go, but I have a feeling Snapper would see that as "limiting his profits." For some reason I never hit it off with that guy, but apparently he is a legend.

Funny thing is, I cannot remember when I first played DG but I think it might have been at Morley - my best friend went to SDSU and I think I went down and visited him, and we played. Had to have been around '98 or so. Wow I have a bad memory :doh:

Somebody asked where I play. Well, here are the ones I think are just getting to be too much of a pain in the ass to play at:

Sylmar Veterans Park
Oak grove
La Mirada front & back. Worse on the front
El Dorado
Huntington Beach (played once and it was a zoo!)

The only 18 holes that I have not had crowding issues at are:

Chavez Ridge
Whittier Narrows

Chavez is fun and all, but to play it on a regular basis, I dunno it gets kind of gimmicky. Whittier is cool too but lacks in the variety department. Sylmar and Oak Grove are the other two courses that kind of surround my home (San Fernando Valley), but they are just becoming more and more not fun due to over crowding. An hour to play 9 holes just gets irritating, makes it hard to warm up and all.

I've played at all of those courses with the exception of Whittier Narrows and have never had any problems. I think you must be going at the wrong time of day or something dude.

Its a fact: SoCal has some of the fewest courses relative to population density in the country. San Diego is real sad...there are so many wonderful pieces of undeveloped land (the valleys and canyons throughout the entire county, for example) that could be used for another course or 10, but for whatever reason there isn't a big push among disc golfers at city hall (or county, or where ever) to make even one more course appear.

I don't even live in San Diego, but I've contacted the SD city council and mayor about putting in more disc golf courses. How many people complaining about Morley in this thread have done the same?

So get off your butts. Its time to get more courses, and the squeaky wheel gets the grease, as they say. Tell your buddies to call. Be nice and polite when you call, but also be persistent.

I really feel for you guys. Born and lived there for most of my life. I can easily recall the "Disneyland" atmosphere that surrounds just about every activity there. While I hadn't picked up DG yet when I still lived there, I did enjoy fishing at many of the lakes in the Southland. I can remember going to Lake Perris on a Sat. in early Spring and thinking to myself that the fish must have been outnumbered by the fisherman by a ratio of at least 10:1! Crazy stuff. Unfortunately, it always comes down to money. Parks and Rec are way down the list when a community decides where to utilize its scant funds. Even with this being the case, you would think that State, county and local parks that charge admissions would get on board with putting in more disc golf courses. When I was there, it was like 8$ to get into places like Yucaipa, Prado and Lake Perris. The payback for a course installation would be there in time--much the same way they pay for all the trout and catfish they stock. This might be the only angle that decision makers would be open to in a region that is perennially strapped for cash(in spite of the crazy high taxes there.) Perhaps even suggesting to decision makers that they contact the folks at other fee parks that have DG courses and ask them about what kind of revenue has been generated by having a DG course could be helpful? If they can see a decent return on investment, they may be motivated.

Of course, you could always just move to Bowling Green where there is always another course less than 10 minutes away:)

I've played at all of those courses with the exception of Whittier Narrows and have never had any problems. I think you must be going at the wrong time of day or something dude.

Yeah, I play them all multiple times each week. I would say half the time, especially later in the day, they are packed. I like playing at sundown, my favorite time of day. Noticed you are from up north, are you basing your opinion off of like, a single visit or something?

Los Angeles County: 9.86 million people
Orange County: 3 million people
San Diego County: 3.67 million people

These numbers do not help course crowding. We are talking simply about numbers of people here, and we haven't even talked about Ventura, Riverside, or San Bernardino Counties.

I'm not saying the population of Southern California isn't dense, but your counties are as large as some states. Over on the Eastern half of the USA, an area the size of Orange County, CA would be 5-10 smaller counties.

I'm not sure what my point is, other than when you say "county" not everybody shares the same concept. :\

Is the course in North Park in Asuza still in the ground? When I was living there in 1989 it was the closest to the hotels I was building. I played it several times since it was close, but I doubt many folks would travel very far to play it. Too flat, too small, too short, but never crowded. Do the locals have different layouts they play, safari type holes? Isn't there a ball golf course across the fence on the North side of the park?

Is the course in North Park in Asuza still in the ground? When I was living there in 1989 it was the closest to the hotels I was building. I played it several times since it was close, but I doubt many folks would travel very far to play it. Too flat, too small, too short, but never crowded. Do the locals have different layouts they play, safari type holes? Isn't there a ball golf course across the fence on the North side of the park?

the baskets are still there from what i hear, yes.

why would someone travel far to play there? because they have 235 thumb ups and would have silver TR status if they had 3 more courses reviewed...:doh::wall:

I'm about to get down to the L.A. area in a month and play some of these overcrowded courses. I won't be getting down as far as San Diego so won't be able to check out Morley.

I think it's a simple problem of too many players and too few courses. Up here in the Pacific Northwest, we seem to be growing by a course a month.

When I was there I think there were 12 or 13 courses in the area (between Oak Grove/Hahamunga and Morley). How many now in that same area?

I went to one in San Dimas(?) that only had a few of the baskets in. Seemed like it could be a decent spot for at least a 9 hole set-up.

Whenever I hear "San Dimas" it reminds me of Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

We could always take Napoleon to Waterloo if the courses are too crowded. They maybe make a stop for a Piggly Wiggly.

Latest posts