• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] The Spike?

It's low profile with a shallow grip, little slanted rim. Stable to understable. I've thrown one a bit but went back to a pure which is a little deeper rim, but not bad.

I had a Grip Line that I loved until I switched to beaded putters. That's a really good, underappreciated disc, though. The one I had was nice and straight. Not the longest disc in the world, and kind of a tweener, but it would probably be great in the slot you're describing.

Slightly more under stable than a Pure, very little glide. It's a nice disc to "range" upshots with since it dies at the end of its flight. But with any power and misused control, it will flip. Judge is a good stable upshot putter with a low profile. Ion is another good one if you like how it feels in the hand (I never liked the feel for up shots personally.) Heavy Star Dart too. Also on the under stable side, but heavier ones will handle a nice touch.

I don't know that I'd call an Ion or Judge low profile. They're pretty much Wizard knockoffs...

I don't know that I'd call an Ion or Judge low profile. They're pretty much Wizard knockoffs...

Yeah, I putt with Anodes and have used Ion's in the past. They're definitely not what I would consider "low profile". What I'm really looking for is something with a similar feel and flight to a Rhyno, but more stable rather than over stable. Actually sounds like I need to give the Pure a try.

The factory store (r) pro rhynos beat in to a pretty straight flyer that's easy to range and doesn't flip unless you OAT it.

I would say a Pure would be nice. It's a shade taller and deeper rim then a Rhyno but not much.

The factory store (r) pro rhynos beat in to a pretty straight flyer that's easy to range and doesn't flip unless you OAT it.
That's an option I might look into. I'm just more of a fan of out of the box flyers in premium plastics. Nothing worse than getting a disc beat in to the sweet spot and then losing it.

I never liked the Spike, it just doesn't feel good in my hands. It still does fly nice, my buddy used it quite a bit for upshots and putting until he switched to the Judge.

Judges tend to become flippy quite fast though. But I use a classic and a classic soft Judge for approaches and I like them a lot for that purpose. Nice shapeable but also straight flyers. They don't work for me as driving putter unless there is no wind at all.

I do put with a Mercy right now, but for the purpose of reducing molds in my bag I might switch back to putting with the Pure and get myself an opto Pure for upshots. The Pure has a 1mm deeper rim though... http://discgolfsweden.se/discar/discar_sokdisc.aspx?DiscId=3069

Last edited:
I throw a pop top RGL Spike for drives and long upshots. It's definitely a tweener disc. Really fast for a putter, plus this dome on it makes it glide for days. This makes it very power sensitive. If I rip on mine it will flip like my most beat Comet, if I go like 70% it'll have a slight turn and just float forward and possibly fade at the end. I use it as a shorter range Comet. I'm waiting to beat in a Wizard enough to take it's spot.... but that will take some time. Overall I like the disc as a driving putter rather than an upshot putter due to it's power sensitivity.

I tried a Spike for the same reasons as remember and it did not work out for me. Too easy to turn over and too hard to control in the wind. I ended up just learning how to throw deeper putters for more control.

I agree that the Spike is a touchier disc. It flies great and feels good though. I just like the Pure a bit more as it's not as sensitive and easier to control.

I, too, tried the Spike for a while. As others have noted, was a little more power sensitive than I could consistently control...

Now I'm using a heavily seasoned BioFuzion Suspect for almost all upshots. Same rim depth as the Spike, with similar speed and glide. Won't hold an anny line like a Spike will, but responds much more "linearly" to power for everything else. Plays nice in the wind, too!

Pure = Mini Buzzz
Spike = Mini Meteor

Spikes are great for up-shots and i used them before i threw pa4's. Pure/Spike combo was money for a putter combo.

That's an option I might look into. I'm just more of a fan of out of the box flyers in premium plastics. Nothing worse than getting a disc beat in to the sweet spot and then losing it.

Just makes sense for me to cycle the rhynos because I putt with them, too. What about a star rhyno? Loyalists hate em because they mold up domey and are not as O/S.

What about a star rhyno? Loyalists hate em because they mold up domey and are not as O/S.
Never thrown one, but it's an idea. From what everyone is saying, I don't think the spike will work for me. Me and "flippy" don't get along. Might just wait until the new MVP putter comes out, just to see what it is. Yes, I'm a fanboy :p

If you are looking stable/slightly os then that's the sinus, but that may be a little more os than you want depending on what kind of rhyno we are talking about. Spike and pure definitely will not fill that slot unfortunately.

I noticed you have an Anode in your sig, Pure flies similar to an Anode but isn't from a fanboy Company.