• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Temple Of ROC!!!!

Just want to check if I've missed any info.
Is there any other differences between kc pro and dx other than:
- time to beat in
- feel of plastic?

Yeah, my KC's have a higher PLH than my DX's. And they need a lot more breaking in to start turning from hyzer. My most worn KC is a line-holding machine while my DX's are line-shaping.

I've had one great KC and 3 bum low PLH flipping when new ones which aren't bad in rear winds but not as good as nice DXs.

So, after taking a break from Roc's for about 4-5 months, I must admit that they have gone back into the bag and kicked out the Buzzz/Comet combo. Played a round yesterday with roc's as my only midrange and tore shit up from 320 and in, including 4 basket hits in two rounds. There really is something about a finely worn KC Roc that is fun to watch.

I swap out my Rocs for a Wasp/Comet tandem every so often and then after a month or so put the Rocs back in. I dig Comets, but i love some Roc. So very predictable.

What to look for in a KC pro roc? Gonna use it as a OS/wind mid. Just wondering about dome variance and how it affects flight.

aerodriver said:
Anyone else tossing Classic Rocs for any shot? Or am I a loner in this regard?

You are not alone sir. I have a handful of of the good classic roc's from about 10 years ago, sitting in the closet. I have one in the bag for specialty tee shots. It has earned me many bird's in my years of playing. The more recent runs of CR's have really been shitty though.

turso said:
What to look for in a KC pro roc? Gonna use it as a OS/wind mid. Just wondering about dome variance and how it affects flight.

Last year they made soft tacky ones that broke faster than R-Pro so avoid those at all costs. So i'd pick a hard plastic semi domey high PLH one. They tend to be slick.

turso said:

I look for stiff KC's, with a stiff flight plate, a bit of shoulder and hopefully no dome. Gotta get them dirty because they are slick. I'm fortunate to still have a few 11x KC's and they are exactly what I want/expect from a Roc. I dislike dome for any wind fighting duties. In DX, I want them flat flat flat and as stiff as possible.

I broke my Dx Roc that I use for hyzerflips and turnovers which sucks because it takes me forever to break in a Roc enough that it holds a turn. I have 2 backups but they are over 10 years old so I decided to go back to the 2 dx Rocs,Esp Comet,X Comet lineup. On the plus side the newest course in my area has a ton of trees so my Rocs will break in quicker.

Anyone gotten to beat in a production Star Rancho Roc? I know its only been some months since their release, but I was wondering if they beat in the same as the baseline plastics. I'd be doing it myself but with a newborn, I haven't found much time for anything but occasional indoor drills.

After a few months of play my star rancho is still pretty much the same. Domey 176 and very stable.

I'm on the lookout! Has anyone come across a store that has a selection of flat and stiff DX Rocs? I'd like to pick up 3-5 for next season. I picked up a couple glow DX and a couple regular production DX this past season and while they're OK... they aren't exactly what I want. I've flattened all of them out using water but they aren't anywhere near stiff, they all have that plyable top to them. Champ and Star Rocs aren't the same and I've come across the same thing with KC's, firm rim...floppy top...high shoulder(which is typical) and slight dome...

Flat Stiff DX Rocs are where it's at!

LumberJack said:
I'm on the lookout! Has anyone come across a store that has a selection of flat and stiff DX Rocs? I'd like to pick up 3-5 for next season. I picked up a couple glow DX and a couple regular production DX this past season and while they're OK... they aren't exactly what I want. I've flattened all of them out using water but they aren't anywhere near stiff, they all have that plyable top to them. Champ and Star Rocs aren't the same and I've come across the same thing with KC's, firm rim...floppy top...high shoulder(which is typical) and slight dome...

Flat Stiff DX Rocs are where it's at!

I've been stocking up on the flat top KC glow rocs...gotta love those flat stiffy ones

I must be the only person who doesn't like flat tops. I think they are too flippy for a Roc and generally don't glide very well.

I was never a fan of the super flat ones either, I never really got the obsession with ching rocs. My favorite rocs are the original '05 Special Blends which are the ontario mold and fairly domey. They are straighter flyers with more glide. I also used to throw 9X's and the ones I had were pretty domey as well.

well, now that i have my stash of ontario rocs delivered, i can now say that the ontario roc mold is being retired. if you like domey less stable rocs that glide well and hold the turnover line then grab em while you can. :( i was bummed when i heard that......