• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Tern!

It would be nonsense if it wasn't true. I just stated that the Tern is a great finesse distance disc and what I was able to do with it. If someone doesn't believe me thats fine but dont call someone out on something if you don't know them. I have absolutely no problems with anyone on these forums. I will help anyone anytime I can like I always have. If you have anything else negative to say send me a PM and lets discuses it. I'm sorry I can throw far after all these years, I worked really hard on throwing distance for many years and developed great technique by throwing with guys like Sam Ferans, Scott Stokely etc.

And who are you? Past my prime? Keep dreaming hacker

You may have been above 500' ft on your best day in the mid 90's, but after being out of the sport for 18 years and now much older, claiming 500' at 60% with a serious shoulder injury is absurd? Are you really going to stick by that drivel, Bobby?

It would be nonsense if it wasn't true. I just stated that the Tern is a great finesse distance disc and what I was able to do with it. If someone doesn't believe me thats fine but dont call someone out on something if you don't know them. I have absolutely no problems with anyone on these forums. I will help anyone anytime I can like I always have. If you have anything else negative to say send me a PM and lets discuses it. I'm sorry I can throw far after all these years, I worked really hard on throwing distance for many years and developed great technique by throwing with guys like Sam Ferans, Scott Stokely etc.

This part I don't doubt.

Anyhow, GL to you.

You must admit it does sound fanciful for someone at your age to be throwing 500'+, with only 60% power, torn rotator cuff and all. Do I think it's possible? Absolutely, maybe. Do I think it's fair for people(myself included) to be skeptical of claims of huge distance despite injury/age? Absolutely, especially in these forums, and if you read any of these forums for any amount of time you will find that people exaggerate about all types of things. You are no exception, regardless of your credentials. Maybe even because of them. The fast rule: If you post a boast, expect a roast, and claiming 500'+ with 60% power AND a torn rotator cuff is definitely a boast worth roasting.

You must admit it does sound fanciful for someone at your age to be throwing 500'+, with only 60% power, torn rotator cuff and all. Do I think it's possible? Absolutely, maybe. Do I think it's fair for people(myself included) to be skeptical of claims of huge distance despite injury/age? Absolutely, especially in these forums, and if you read any of these forums for any amount of time you will find that people exaggerate about all types of things. You are no exception, regardless of your credentials. Maybe even because of them. The fast rule: If you post a boast, expect a roast, and claiming 500'+ with 60% power AND a torn rotator cuff is definitely a boast worth roasting.

I was living in Escondido during his heyday, and I remember seeing him around on some of the local courses. So, don't doubt his credentials, and I do remember him in some distance contests too. The part that's BS is the 500' at 60% power, regardless of any rotator cuff injury. I have no idea why he would say this, but now he's stuck with it, LOL.

And yes, 38 is past prime for anybody...any athlete. Just a cold hard fact of aging.

Funny I saw Steve wisecup bomb over 500 with a pro destroyer easily and I'm certain he's over 38... This is a technique driven sport and even though I don't know this guy I'm going to say the throw is legit. These guys were throwing rocs 400 when thats all there was and you put a glidey faster driver in there hands I have no problem believing that. However I will say ones 'power' is an opinion so I'm going to disregard the 60% statement. What I see is he bombed it, with a good effort but not enough to blow out his shoulder/arm.

Age is not that important. I regularly play with a senior grandmaster that can drive 400 and shoot 11 down on our back course par 57. For you to say 38 is too old to hit 500 is ridiculous IMHO.

Too bad it'd be nice to read more bout the Tern than this nonsense. This disc has been amazing to me thus far and deserves better than this in it's thread, at least until the thread has doubled the length it is now lol. I am 23 and in good shape and when I go to sleep and dream at night I throw my tern 500+ and hit all the tunnel shots at my local course and also have 7 aces with it! One day I'll get there but thats what dreams are for :)

Age is not that important. I regularly play with a senior grandmaster that can drive 400 and shoot 11 down on our back course par 57. For you to say 38 is too old to hit 500 is ridiculous IMHO.

Stop misquoting. I never said 500' can't be done at age 38. The issue is 500' at 60% power and a torn rotator cuff to boot.

As for the age issue, ask Feldberg if he considers himself in his prime at age 35. Or Climo, Schultz, etc. They'll readily admit that they aren't. And the thing that invariably suffers first with increased age is distance.

I'm glad to hear technique wins out over age. Now only if my technique weren't crap on top of the fact that much older than 38. you can never accomplish so much that it can't be embellished.

People are blowing smoke...try to tell them skills naturally diminish with age and that the earth isn't flat and they throw a hissy fit.

Anyway, back on Tern subject...my star stamped champ Tern was destroyer like...not what I expected. I have a champ Boss for that slot.

I'm glad to hear technique wins out over age. Now only if my technique weren't crap on top of the fact that much older than 38. you can never accomplish so much that it can't be embellished.

BTW, do you actually have a course in Prescott, or are they in Prescott Valley?

The city of Prescott just opened a 9 hole course Watson Lake. There's a Arizona Courses thread with all the Prescott courses listed on here.

Im still kind of new to dg, but this is the first > 9-speed driver I have have completely fallen in love with. Is it getting out of hand that I have one and have 4 more on the way in various colors and stamps? Only other disc besides putters for practice I have done this with was the saint of which I have 3 (2 in bag, one on wall retired as 1st ace disc). Is this too much, too soon? How many of a single mold do you guys buy when experimenting with a new disc or once you find you like it?

You may have been above 500' ft on your best day in the mid 90's, but after being out of the sport for 18 years and now much older, claiming 500' at 60% with a serious shoulder injury is absurd? Are you really going to stick by that drivel, Bobby?

So what is your name? I was above 630 feet back when Vipers were the distance disc being used. I was about 500 with Rocs, 450 with Aviars. The last time I threw for actual distance was with gazelles and I was throwing them 620-660. Technique was way more important in those days than it is now. And yes, I am sticking to my 500 feet at 60% power. Decent wind with the right release nice and high the Tern will glide a long long ways. I have a 100 foot piece of rope with nails on both ends. I walk it off 5 times, set up my basket and go back and throw with putters, mids, fairways and drivers. I then proceed to throw approaches from the putters and Mids and putt whatever else I can. On 4 occasions the Tern was pin high, 1 to the right and four to the left. Like I said, I have nothing to gain by exaggerating . I simply can not throw any harder than about 60% right now so getting the right angles on my longer throws is crucial to me right now and the Tern has helped with getting the long shots out there. About being past my prime, I never said I wasn't, thats a given for anyone in any sport when they get older. I would really like to know who you are and then try and figure out why you question me. If you know me or have ever seen me throw you know for a fact that I was way over 500 on my best days. Being at 500 on my best day is an insult. PM me if you would like, actually please PM me. Not looking to get into an argument with you but would just like to have a simple discussion with you. And, if I know you to catch up on the times. Balls in your court now, I would really enjoy chatting with you.

Too bad it'd be nice to read more bout the Tern than this nonsense. This disc has been amazing to me thus far and deserves better than this in it's thread, at least until the thread has doubled the length it is now lol. I am 23 and in good shape and when I go to sleep and dream at night I throw my tern 500+ and hit all the tunnel shots at my local course and also have 7 aces with it! One day I'll get there but thats what dreams are for :)

You can get to the 500 mark. Work on being smooth and not over powering the disc, thats where you get in trouble and start loosing distance, throwing way line etc. One thing that helped me with adding a lot of distance to my game was throwing Aviars on many longer 400+ holes. I learned a technique where I in visioned a a "wall" if you will in front of me. My goal was to lift the disc high over that wall while keeping the nose down and releasing with the proper angle. It took practice but in the end it paid off for golf distance. Weight transfer is also very important. Keep practicing and you will obtain goals.

Someone shut down this thread now. I love the Terns. I don't love people OBVIOUSLY LYING OR MAKING MISLEADING COMMENTS and then EVERYONE ELSE ACTING LIKE THIS IS THE FIRST TIME THIS HAS HAPPENED AND THIS MAN IS SATAN INCARNATE.

I don't give a crap about you or your three mile throw with a DX Aero or whatever. Nor do I give a crap about all the people who feel inadequate because they don't have any form to speak of. Just everyone shut up about it on here and start a new thread PLEASE

Last edited:
Satan Incarnate? He should have a dedicated thread. Thanks for the tips Bobby. What did the Tern replace in your bag, if anything?

No need to start a new thread if people who don't know a person would stop calling them liars. Instead of spouting a bunch of defamation, I decided to use my resources... Dave D knows who he is and yes, he could throw far.

And he's only 38! I'm 41 (and a half) and I threw it well over 500 at Burlington a few weeks ago... on a very short teepad in at or near freezing temps. 10 foot run-up, 550 feet (Hole 17 for those who know it).

And I'm sure Bob can outthrow me. He is describing his Aviar distance throws almost exactly how I was throwing them near 400 ft back when I was HIS age. :)
Dang whippersnappers.

Latest posts