• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Tern!

You can get to the 500 mark. Work on being smooth and not over powering the disc, thats where you get in trouble and start loosing distance, throwing way line etc. One thing that helped me with adding a lot of distance to my game was throwing Aviars on many longer 400+ holes. I learned a technique where I in visioned a a "wall" if you will in front of me. My goal was to lift the disc high over that wall while keeping the nose down and releasing with the proper angle. It took practice but in the end it paid off for golf distance. Weight transfer is also very important. Keep practicing and you will obtain goals.

I believe you, Bobby :D

I tweaked my back but GOOD at the A-tier Charleston Classic in early December. I mean it when I say it, I could not have finished the tournament had I not had my girl caddying, it was that bad. BUT, I had paid for the priveldge to play the event, and the accomodations of Charleston.

I had to eliminate my x- step -- too much movement and twist that would always spark the pain in my back, and cause errant throws. I couldn't escape concentrating on the expected pain, instead of my throw.

So I threw from a standstill. I directed my focus to my arm -- proper nose angle; pulling through tight to the chest; pivoting at the elbow(I tend to straight-arm because I have daddy-long-arms); gripping like the old golf club addage "hold it like a bird; firm enough it can't fly away, but not so firm that you squeeze the life out of it;" and with the leftover focus juice, I visualized the line(and simplified that) and REALLY concentrated hard on blending it all together.

The proof was instantaneous -- I was throwing farther than I could with a full X-step, and not powering up my muscles to crank out the extra distance. I was also much more consistent -- eliminating so many variables and slimming things down kept me in plane and on target.

Cleaning up my form, regardless that it was based on pain avoidance, was netting me strokes, smiles, and a great finish on two courses I had never thrown before. I have healed enough to use the x-step, but I don't use it much for now, and when I do I slow WAY down, more for rhythm than extra D.

I thought I knew everything there was to know about disc golf, and that I had plateaued, which is a sickening feeling when you watch others improving around you and you're not. Now I have that first-year awareness and exhiliration again, and it's all due to slowing down and realllllllly focusing on clean form.

Still a long way to go, but cleaning up my technique has made me a better player, with less injuries, less fatigue, and most importantly, less strokes :D

I know I'm not the first person to say this, but I had to throw it in because Bobby was getting hit for his 500' at 60% claim. While I'm not quite at that distance/power ratio, I firmly believe Bobby is being honest, as I'm definitely throwing LONGER at LESS POWER thanks to working and focusing on clean form.

Tern is pretty nice. If i was in a pinch and lost a straight destroyer, id just use the tern. Until then tho, ill stick with the ds

So what is your name? I was above 630 feet back when Vipers were the distance disc being used. I was about 500 with Rocs, 450 with Aviars. The last time I threw for actual distance was with gazelles and I was throwing them 620-660. Technique was way more important in those days than it is now. And yes, I am sticking to my 500 feet at 60% power. Decent wind with the right release nice and high the Tern will glide a long long ways. I have a 100 foot piece of rope with nails on both ends. I walk it off 5 times, set up my basket and go back and throw with putters, mids, fairways and drivers. I then proceed to throw approaches from the putters and Mids and putt whatever else I can. On 4 occasions the Tern was pin high, 1 to the right and four to the left. Like I said, I have nothing to gain by exaggerating . I simply can not throw any harder than about 60% right now so getting the right angles on my longer throws is crucial to me right now and the Tern has helped with getting the long shots out there. About being past my prime, I never said I wasn't, thats a given for anyone in any sport when they get older. I would really like to know who you are and then try and figure out why you question me. If you know me or have ever seen me throw you know for a fact that I was way over 500 on my best days. Being at 500 on my best day is an insult. PM me if you would like, actually please PM me. Not looking to get into an argument with you but would just like to have a simple discussion with you. And, if I know you to catch up on the times. Balls in your court now, I would really enjoy chatting with you.

Fair enough. I'm still inclined to believe you were throwing the Tern at more than 60% though. After all, it requires a lot more power than the other discs you mentioned. When a speed 12, 2.3cm rimmed max D driver is underthrown the results are usually poor.

I know I've lost about 50 ft distance over the years. As you get into the upper 30's and 40's, you lose muscle mass, flexibility, leverage, etc. I also went to a bent elbow technique(a la Dave D) awhile back and a 3 finger power grip, so that's further limiting max D in my case.

We crossed paths in so cal back then, nothing more.

Too bad it'd be nice to read more bout the Tern than this nonsense. This disc has been amazing to me thus far and deserves better than this in it's thread, at least until the thread has doubled the length it is now lol. I am 23 and in good shape and when I go to sleep and dream at night I throw my tern 500+ and hit all the tunnel shots at my local course and also have 7 aces with it! One day I'll get there but thats what dreams are for :)

Assuming your form is decent and you're keeping everything smooth and relaxed, work on pause and then late hit. Slow to fast is key, with a fast arm whip at and beyond release. You want snap and spin instead of muscle.

One of the biggest issues new players face is strong arming, which also tends to speed everything up and lead to breakdowns in form throughout the throwing motion.

The Tern is a good disc, but not for learning proper form. Go way slower than that, and neutral-understable.

bravo to the people who made this thread pure gold. i'm actually going to go buy a tern now. though if it doesn't go 500ft the first time i throw it i'm blaming bobby.

Satan Incarnate? He should have a dedicated thread. Thanks for the tips Bobby. What did the Tern replace in your bag, if anything?

It didn't replace anything, it is a new addition. It's very different then my other drivers. I am still learning the new plastic. When I hurt my shoulder 7 years ago my longest driver was a Teebird. The only other long distance driver I use are Destroyers.

bravo to the people who made this thread pure gold. i'm actually going to go buy a tern now. though if it doesn't go 500ft the first time i throw it i'm blaming bobby.

LOL. You will like it. If you have a Roc3 the plastic on the Term is the same.

Sorry should a searched first... two months too late: :eek:
I'm going to buy a Groove and a Tern to complement my Opto River. Then I'll have a flop, a River and a Tern.

Last edited:
Tern is pretty nice. If i was in a pinch and lost a straight destroyer, id just use the tern. Until then tho, ill stick with the ds

So, if I've got a turn over Pro Destroyer, and a straight Q-Scorpius, is there any need for me to get a Tern? Is the higher glide rating evident?

So, if I've got a turn over Pro Destroyer, and a straight Q-Scorpius, is there any need for me to get a Tern? Is the higher glide rating evident?

The high glide is very evident. Innova got this one right..

Has anybody seen any stock stamp Terns with metal flakes? I got a smoke colored one from Justin at Communitydiscs and it looks like it has some. Perhaps it was part of the first run made after the CFRs. I would post a pic but I can't seem to capture the effect. It is one of the coolest discs I have seen. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Hoping to go out tomorrow to finally throw my Terns.

Without paying a premium price, are these available in anything but the new stoopid looking stamp?

I suppose there's always acetone...

after seeing some profile pics it looks like a mamba with a wider rim, anybody have both that could comment on that?

after seeing some profile pics it looks like a mamba with a wider rim, anybody have both that could comment on that?

They have similarities, but fly really different. The Tern is probably another fabulous Innova "frankendisc" Personally, I didn't care for the Mamba, though I only threw it in a field a couple times. The Tern is very much a different beast. First throw I knew I loved it.

As someone else said "Innova got this one right" and its absolutley true. Though I like to bag a lot of distance drivers, I think I could do really well with just this and the Krait...especially now that I'm getting my Shocks, Volts and Teebirds out to a somewhat respectable distance. The Tern is great for long distance golf lines which is something Ive struggled with for nearly two decades.

Its just crazy how advanced disc technology is getting these days. There ia literally four to five discs out there for every single shot and every single player.

The first time I picked one up, Mamba was the first thing that crossed my mind, that is why I wrote early in this thread that I thought it was going to suck.

And then a week later I got a chance to throw it and my mind started thinking Dominator/Champ Katana.

A production Tern on its very first couple throws went really far, really fast, on a relatively tight line, no sweeping hyzer line. It pooped out into a headwind, and will likely get flippier as it breaks in, but there is something to this disc, it is going to be of value to various players in various situations. It seems like it will really excel in tail wind and side wind conditions. As it breaks in, it will likely be really good for long sky anhyzers, which is great, because there are a couple holes at my local course that require 400+ foot anhyzer bombs that will flex out at the end.

And it is nice not having to break in a disc to get some real distance out of it.

I was quick to order a second one when I got home.

I really like the Champ plastic run these are made from, if Innova uses the same Champ plastic for a run of Bosses and Destroyers, I might start crying.