• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] The WestSide 'King'

It is gonna work better on HB 2 in the early morning when the wind ain't blowin'

After that, you're gonna have a hard time getting it to "stay/finish left"

Got a new Tourney King last week. Placed rim to rim with a Destroyer it looks identical, with slightly less dome on top.
I would say it flies like a slower Nuke or Katana, or a seasoned Destroyer.
The Tourney/GL plastic is gorgeous to look at, soft, gummy and nicely grippy.

i have one, it's a nice driver but it's not going to be the next boss/nuke or anything. not sure that it deserves to be called 14 if that does in fact use innova's scale.

i got the impression that they were related to latitude 64 because the "belly button" on the bottom center of the disc is cut in exactly the same way. lat64 owners, find your nearest opto plastic disc and check out the belly button. westside's look identical. plus the vip plastic feels the same as opto and finland is a neighboring country to sweden.

I'm diggin the wide rim on the king and boatman, probably nice for my sidearm. definitely want to try them out in the future

Anyone know when the tourney plastic northman and boatman are coming out state side?
appeared at GGGT first - only boatman though
they'll probably start popping up everywhere more places by next week

i have one, it's a nice driver but it's not going to be the next boss/nuke or anything. not sure that it deserves to be called 14 if that does in fact use innova's scale.

i got the impression that they were related to latitude 64 because the "belly button" on the bottom center of the disc is cut in exactly the same way. lat64 owners, find your nearest opto plastic disc and check out the belly button. westside's look identical. plus the vip plastic feels the same as opto and finland is a neighboring country to sweden.

consensus is its not 14, more of a 12 (other westsides discs are rated about 2 over their actual speed too)

westside is molded by lat64, but the molds are created separately in finland, and the plastics are basically identical (westside says 98% similar)

Lat64 molds all Westside products, but the molds themselves are designed and created in Finland.

Heres an explanation of the Discmania/Innova relationship:
Discmania is run by Jussi Meresmaa, who is on team Innova as a player and also additionally heads Innova Champion Europe, the Europe branch of Innova. If you followed Japan Open and USDGC last year you'll know he's a kick ass player even though he barely manages to play anymore due to making courses and selling discs all the time.

Anyway, he tells Dave Dunipace what type of disc he wants, Dave designs them using Innova's mold parts, more often than not tweaking them a little bit (wider wings, spacers etc.) after which Jussi tries them out. If they don't satisfy him it's back to the drawing board and on to the next try. (I heard him say that the TD was the first disc to come out like he wanted on the first try.) After they come up with a satisfying result Innova molds the discs and handles distribution in the US, while Discmania handles stuff on the proper side of the pond.

Westside creates Mold
L64 uses Mold to produce the disc for Westside
the plasitc choices for Westside are what you can get with L64 i.e. opto and GL (but probably named differently)

I'm not sure that Discmania makes their own molds...I think Discmania was Innova Europe
my understanding for Discmania is that Innova creates the discs from their existing molds but with input from Discmania as to what type of disc and flight they are looking for

Edit: beaten to it by Yawp

I honestly think I threw my king over 100 feet farther than I've ever thrown today.

I bought my King to throw FH, because I dont have the arm to get hyperspeed discs up to proper cruise velocity, but after a few test rounds I found it to be far more flippy than even a Nuke is.

Today I wanted to see if it was understable enough for me to get it to flip up BH, so I threw a few drives with it.
It was awesome.
Kinda like a faster Beast. Made me laugh when I threw it farther on one hole today than I've thrown any other disc ever. Big fun.
This disc is for me what the Katana was supposed to be, but the Katana was a huge disappointment.
Long live the King !

Oh, but it aint no 14. Faster than my Monarch for sure, but not 14 fast.
Somewhere between a Monarch and a Groove. Imma go with 12½

I lost my favorite GL Flow yesterday and have a color-shift King that I was planning to hold onto. Do you think it'd be a decent replacement? I generally use my Flow for turnover shots and hyzer-flip distance drives in favorable wind.

My tourney king seems noticeably more stable than my vip. It's flatter but has a higher PLH. I must have gotten a freak.

Hmm... Guess I'll have to take it out to a field and give it a few throws. I was hoping to avoid roughing it up, but just ordered a new bag so I'm not ready to buy a new Flow just yet.

It happened again today. I threw my tourney King farther than I have ever thrown any other disc backhand on a hole we built last year.

I have parked this hole a couple of times before, with a FH, a following wind, and a lucky skip, but never BH.

Today I did it with the King, into a 5-10 mph headwind !
Thing flew super straight, with very little flex, and had a nice predictable fade at the end.

The tourney plastic is wonderfully grippy, which is important on a disc with such a wide rim. Course was wet from 12 hours of recent rain, but with the Sham Wow I was able to keep the King from slipping out of my hand for 18 holes.
I think if some of the big arms could figure out how to hyzer flip this disc, it might become thier favorite long driver.

Gonna get a fresh one in the more overstable VIP plastic this week to see if I can use it for FH duty.

I am a huge fan of the flat Tourney Kings. All the Tourney's I've seen have been flatter and the VIP's domier.

It's my go to max D driver. I like the Euro discs, with a splash of classic Innova.