• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] the windy day putter myth?

For most people putting is about confidence. Personally I'm more confident with an Ion in the wind, or a Gator if it's really windy, than a Magic. If it's all in my head then fine, but it still works.

Confidence with your putter is half the battle. You need to find a disc that you like the feel of and make some nice putts with and just work with it. Buy a stack and "practice makes perfect". After that confidence in yourself and the putter and that seems to be what it takes.

So it seems like I'm best using just my wizard even if it isn't the best wind putter.

So it seems like I'm best using just my wizard even if it isn't the best wind putter.

The Wizard is one of the best windy day putters out there..

Wind shouldn't effect you that much anyways. Longevity along with confidence, and how the disc feels in your hand.. Those are the three key factors in putting. At least in my mind.

Wind is a frequent concern in Texas. I've tried using different putters in different conditions, and I've tried using the same putter in all conditions. I've settled on using the same putter in all conditions. I like a low profile disc with a flat top, so the angle is very precise when I show the flight plate to the wind. I don't know if stability makes a difference inside the circle, but for driving, I definitely prefer something more stable. So that's why I like putters like the judge.

Wind is a frequent concern in Texas. I've tried using different putters in different conditions, and I've tried using the same putter in all conditions. I've settled on using the same putter in all conditions. I like a low profile disc with a flat top, so the angle is very precise when I show the flight plate to the wind. I don't know if stability makes a difference inside the circle, but for driving, I definitely prefer something more stable. So that's why I like putters like the judge.

That's why I'm looking at an Ion. From a distance away from the Basket I need to use something. The Anode likes to wobble when thrown in the wind.

Confidence with your putter is half the battle. You need to find a disc that you like the feel of and make some nice putts with and just work with it. Buy a stack and "practice makes perfect". After that confidence in yourself and the putter and that seems to be what it takes.

Adding to this I've found that the harder I putt the less effect the wind has. The downside is if you miss. To combat this I really like to hyzer putt hard into the wind. The confidence means I'll make most. If I miss the disc doesn't blow past as far.

Adding to this I've found that the harder I putt the less effect the wind has. The downside is if you miss. To combat this I really like to hyzer putt hard into the wind. The confidence means I'll make most. If I miss the disc doesn't blow past as far.

Exactly. That's when wind putting becomes difficult (or putting in general). If you miss it's going to fly far. I like to put a small hyzer on all my putts. It never goes too far if I miss.

That's why I'm looking at an Ion. From a distance away from the Basket I need to use something. The Anode likes to wobble when thrown in the wind.

My experience with the ion is that you need to put massive spin on it to get the benefits of that disc. It's more than I can muster every single time with consistency. Also, I have been pitch putting since I blew out a tendon in my arm.

My experience with the ion is that you need to put massive spin on it to get the benefits of that disc. It's more than I can muster every single time with consistency. Also, I have been pitch putting since I blew out a tendon in my arm.

Push putting is quite difficult, sorry to hear that. I agree with the Ion though. It's a good disc but I have yet to master the consistency.

Latest posts