• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Things I've learned my first full year playing

As far as learning with or without a run-up goes, I think that depends. I know some players focus too much on the run-up, which causes errors in their throw. Learning to throw without a run-up can help simplify the process, and the player will be able to focus more on the mechanics of the throw.

Personally, I think the best way is to start learning from a standstill or one step. After starting to learn the basics, then you could build up to a 2 or 3 step run-up.

As far as learning with or without a run-up goes, I think that depends. I know some players focus too much on the run-up, which causes errors in their throw. Learning to throw without a run-up can help simplify the process, and the player will be able to focus more on the mechanics of the throw.

Personally, I think the best way is to start learning from a standstill or one step. After starting to learn the basics, then you could build up to a 2 or 3 step run-up.

Here's what I've learned in my first two years.

"Run-Up" can be a misnomer. Sure, you see the pros really getting through their approach quickly, but I think the average joe should think of it more as a "walk-up". Slowing down the approach, for me, is the best way of slowing everything else down, which in turn smooths it all out and results in more distance.

The run up/ x step is to help impart more forward momentum on the disc. It also to get your body in the right positions to do that.

Arm strength as a term needs to go away bc its misleading.

Arm speed comes from proper hip timing, not throwing your arm as fast as you can. Thats asking for injury and max distance below 350'.