• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Things noobs say...

that's weird

we like our long courses here in Texas and most of the people i know prefer the long tees, as do i. shorts can be fun but i'd rather be challenged.

you might have more luck convincing people to play the longs during doubles. maybe offer two divisions, Pro plays the longs and Am plays the shorts.

Tournaments, the advanced and open play one round of each. We only do doubles, not sure why, but singles leagues are as rare as long tees around here. Sounds like there's going to be a few weeks with an extra day for those that want to play from the longs.

I played with a guy that was probably 5' 4" that could bomb around 425' on golf lines. You can do it, don't settle for less, work on your form and I guarantee you can at least improve from your current distance!

Yeah I do not think I will be able to even with the recent work on forum. I just know that about 275-280 feet is my max.

Controversial?? No more controversial than someone with Asperger's Symdrome that can't mark their courses played attempting to navigate forums?threads. :D Eye of the tiger Sonic, eye of the tiger.

Tad offensive as I actually have the ADD form of Asperger's. Even I can mark the courses I haveplayed, I think you meant actual Autism or he has Trump Syndrome.

Tad offensive as I actually have the ADD form of Asperger's. Even I can mark the courses I haveplayed, I think you meant actual Autism or he has Trump Syndrome.

Actually, you read my mind. I almost used the phrase "High functioning Autistic" instead of Asperger's, but they kind of overlap anyways. Not having the ability to empathize is the trait that I was shooting for, just seemed to be the driving force of his original comment about maxing out at 300 means that you suck at Disc Golf.

Actually, you read my mind. I almost used the phrase "High functioning Autistic" instead of Asperger's, but they kind of overlap anyways. Not having the ability to empathize is the trait that I was shooting for, just seemed to be the driving force of his original comment about maxing out at 300 means that you suck at Disc Golf.

Oh I can empathize, I remember when I was 13 and couldn't throw further than 300'. It was truly terrible and I can understand how that would make you feel.

While my assertion that 300' max power golfers suck may seem harsh, I challenge you to see it as an optimistic message. You don't have to settle for being terrible. You could apply a very small amount of energy towards self improvement and reach distances you never thought possible. By telling you that you are not good in your present state I am really enabling you to better yourself. I am freeing you from the trap of the status quo. You are now free, and you are welcome!

Or you could just not care what some random jerk on the internet thinks about your game and enjoy your 300' of max distance.

I never said anyone needed to care or that they couldn't enjoy themselves. I am terrible at ball golf, yet I enjoy the hell out of it. I also understand that I am terrible at ball golf, and don't go around insisting that I am good while playing from the ladies tees :thmbup:

Can't wait for the day Sonic Guy gets ban. He is worse then me with history of Disc Golf mistakes from the 2000's at the time I first started playing in 2003. I do one of 3 things about 2/3 of the time, First I apologize if It was more a history mistake, ask more to get my mistake understood, or I just abandon what I am saying. Also surprised I have not gotten ban yet ether, I got into it with a guy more then once or twice.

Last edited:
I'm curious at what distance one goes from sux to good. Hopefully the wise one will enlighten us.

Well you can decide to rate people on skills or overall score. In this case we cannot use score because these folks are deciding to use short tees and therefore the scores are meaningless. If they chose to use proper long tees, we could absolutely assign some sort of rubric for "good". Like shoots course SSE?

If we go on skills it is much more subjective. I am a fantastic driver but abysmal putter. Am I terrible at disc golf? In our common discourse on the subject most people separate the skill of putting from the skill of disc golf. I think the same thing happens with ball golf. People will say "I am a pretty good golfer, but oh man my putting sucks!" as if putting were a completely different side challenge. I tend to think along these lines, especially since I am so bad at putting!

To answer your question, I think most people think along common plateaus that they experience. 300' is basically a beginners plateau. For someone that is "good" at disc golf, it is hard to imagine lacking the form to even get to 300'. It is just so basic a skill. Even for someone at the next plateau, say 350', can reach 300' with so little effort for it to be laughable. At the same time I am comfortable saying a 380' thrower can be "good" at disc golf because I remember being at that plateau and having to work at it. 380' isn't laughably easy like 300'. Progressing beyond 380' requires specific tweaks to your form. Progressing beyond 300' simply requires you not be a complete disaster.

The other issue we run into is the hypothetical. "Bu bu but what about Larry who throws 290' but can't miss a putt and always cashes in INT??" Well first of all, playing in INT means you suck or are a massive sandbagger. Second of all, Larry doesn't really exist, and if he does he is a lonesome statistic. People that are able to be decent at other aspects of disc golf cannot help but be good at driving to the point where they can break the beginner level 300' drive. Again, this is absent some sort of physical handicap, like being young, old, or female.

Does this help answer your question?

i agree with basically everything you're saying except the idea that playing from shorter tees necessarily holds you back or that you can't be a good golfer if you play short tees.

that's awesome you started young enough to work out form while in your athletic prime. many of us aren't that lucky. for the average guy who starts in his 40's and isn't particularly athletic and probably has a full time job and family, reaching 300' may take years. no it doesn't have to but that's reality for a lot of people. and for them there's nothing wrong with playing the shorts while you practice form in the practice field.

it's not about being good. some people know that ship has already sailed.

Oh I can empathize, I remember when I was 13 and couldn't throw further than 300'. It was truly terrible and I can understand how that would make you feel.

While my assertion that 300' max power golfers suck may seem harsh, I challenge you to see it as an optimistic message. You don't have to settle for being terrible. You could apply a very small amount of energy towards self improvement and reach distances you never thought possible. By telling you that you are not good in your present state I am really enabling you to better yourself. I am freeing you from the trap of the status quo. You are now free, and you are welcome!

I never said that I throw or threw a certain distance. I just asked if you really meant that maxing out at 300 means you suck. I think that I suck because of my putting. I have never had a big ego about DG. OH, and thank you very little Sonicguy Machismo.

But this discussion has been about whether a 300' golfer is good or not...

You are the one that turned this into the"You might be a Douchebag if" Thread;) I just noticed your avatar is Jay Cutler, that explains it all. Sorry y'all, I was feeding a troll. My bad.

Last edited:
But this discussion has been about whether a 300' golfer is good or not...

no, that's just been your troll bait in a conversation about what makes a noob.

force flexing a destroyer 250'... that's a noob
hyzer flipping a leo to 275'... that might be a very happy masters age intermediate player

being bad isn't what makes you a noob. not understanding the game is what makes you a noob. obviously 300' doesn't make you a great golfer if your standard is competitive Open play. but that's way beyond the perspective of the vast majority of people who play the sport.

plus we haven't even talked about putting and whether elite distance really matters. of the 18 hole courses in the US, over half are under 6000'. that's averaging under 333' per hole. so that means the average golfer that doesn't live in a wide open place where the holes tend to be longer can actually be a pretty competitive am if they can drive to 300' relatively accurately and make putts.