• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Things noobs say...

The last time I played in Madison, WI - and I am sorry I cannot remember the course, but it was one of their popular ones in the middle of the city - I sat on the long tee of Hole 1 waiting for my turn. My cousin, living in Madison thought I was crazy, and I soon learned why. While waiting for the basket to clear, groups kept walking past me to the short tee and teed off with no consideration of what I was doing. I eventually yelled at a group. They apologized and said that they did not think I was playing - no one plays from the long tees except pros during tournaments and leagues. And the course designed looked like it - just added distance but no other added challenge.

The courses in Madison are soooo jam packed, that it makes it difficult to get a round in at all, much less from the long tees. The course you are speaking of is most likely Elver, and I must disagree with your assessment of the long pad design. While you are correct in saying that the increased distance is the biggest added challenge, the long tees are at Elver are an absolute blast to play. It really forces you to have to throw a lot of nice hyzer flip to late turnover shots, which is a super fun but technical shot.

I was talking with the guy who runs the weekly doubles here. He's had a few people want to play blues, but many people are against it. To the point of boycotting if there is 1 week played from them. They aren't even all permanently marked, nor listed on DGCR, but I doubt they even add 500 ft total. Some of them actually play easier than the reds because of a different angle and equal distance.
Another close league does the longs twice a year and the attendance is significantly lower that week. The one time I went over for that I was warned by everyone that it was longs week and asked multiple times if I wanted to even throw. Goes from 5000 to 6300 feet over 18 holes. Still not a long course.
There is a serious mental thing about them around here.

The courses in Madison are soooo jam packed, that it makes it difficult to get a round in at all, much less from the long tees. The course you are speaking of is most likely Elver, and I must disagree with your assessment of the long pad design. While you are correct in saying that the increased distance is the biggest added challenge, the long tees are at Elver are an absolute blast to play. It really forces you to have to throw a lot of nice hyzer flip to late turnover shots, which is a super fun but technical shot.

It has been years, so things might have changed, but I believe that is the course that I played. One time through, so I have to go with what I was feeling at that time, so with anything I say, take it with a grain of salt. I have no doubt that if I had played it numerous times and had numerous shots to explore multiple lines, I would come to enjoy it, but at the time, here is what I was dealing with:

1) People jumping over me to go to the short tees because they did not think I was playing. This happened more than just on Hole 1. So, we were trying to play fast so that we could at least get onto the fairway.

2) My cousin, who only occasionally played anyway, was not used to playing from the long tees. So, he was often in the rough and we had to search for discs multiple times.

3) The course was packed on a beautiful summer Saturday in June, so I already had that going against us.

4) My cousin had to use my discs, and lost one. The small shop in town did not have a replacement.

I am wondering if this is more of a Madison thing than a Wisconsin thing. I have been out to some of your bigger courses - and more often than not, the short tees are buried because they are never used. I especially liked Tower Ridge (original). Those are the type of courses we do not have in Minnesota.

I was talking with the guy who runs the weekly doubles here. He's had a few people want to play blues, but many people are against it. To the point of boycotting if there is 1 week played from them. They aren't even all permanently marked, nor listed on DGCR, but I doubt they even add 500 ft total. Some of them actually play easier than the reds because of a different angle and equal distance.
Another close league does the longs twice a year and the attendance is significantly lower that week. The one time I went over for that I was warned by everyone that it was longs week and asked multiple times if I wanted to even throw. Goes from 5000 to 6300 feet over 18 holes. Still not a long course.
There is a serious mental thing about them around here.

that's weird

we like our long courses here in Texas and most of the people i know prefer the long tees, as do i. shorts can be fun but i'd rather be challenged.

you might have more luck convincing people to play the longs during doubles. maybe offer two divisions, Pro plays the longs and Am plays the shorts.

there is simply no benefit to playing tees according to your ability level

let's say you've got someone who throws 300 max, 250 with reasonable accuracy, and accurate to 'in the circle' from under 150.

if the longs average 350+ then every hole is a really easy 3. you get really good at putting your upshot well inside the circle. but you also never get to practice outside the circle putts, unless you really blow your upshot. you probably also never really try to push out your drives cuz why end up 50 further but off the fairway when you still can't reach the pin either way.

further, if this is what's going on at all the minis then you're really missing out on specific aspects of mental game and course management. playing tees according to your ability helps teach you how to make correct (or least better) decisions on the course.

also

practice is for the practice field, not your round

let's say you've got someone who throws 300 max, 250 with reasonable accuracy, and accurate to 'in the circle' from under 150.

if the longs average 350+ then every hole is a really easy 3. you get really good at putting your upshot well inside the circle. but you also never get to practice outside the circle putts, unless you really blow your upshot. you probably also never really try to push out your drives cuz why end up 50 further but off the fairway when you still can't reach the pin either way.

further, if this is what's going on at all the minis then you're really missing out on specific aspects of mental game and course management. playing tees according to your ability helps teach you how to make correct (or least better) decisions on the course.

also

practice is for the practice field, not your round

Every time you throw a disc is practice. I have no idea what that last statement was supposed to imply.

At any rate, the idea that someone can throw max 300' yet usually hits the fairway is laughable. At that range you are simply a terrible disc golfer. Only a child, female, elderly, or otherwise handicapped golfer would possibly fit that description. For a regularly abled adult 300' with accuracy means you COULD decide to dig in for more distance. So what you are calling a boring easy par 3 is really just a product of the old man golf being played.

Of course it is much more likely that these 300' throwers you refer to in fact do not have accuracy, it is just that your wide open Texas courses require no accuracy. Put them on a well designed course and those easy par 3s turn into legit par 4s for that golfer.

It has been years, so things might have changed, but I believe that is the course that I played. One time through, so I have to go with what I was feeling at that time, so with anything I say, take it with a grain of salt. I have no doubt that if I had played it numerous times and had numerous shots to explore multiple lines, I would come to enjoy it, but at the time, here is what I was dealing with:

1) People jumping over me to go to the short tees because they did not think I was playing. This happened more than just on Hole 1. So, we were trying to play fast so that we could at least get onto the fairway.

2) My cousin, who only occasionally played anyway, was not used to playing from the long tees. So, he was often in the rough and we had to search for discs multiple times.

3) The course was packed on a beautiful summer Saturday in June, so I already had that going against us.

4) My cousin had to use my discs, and lost one. The small shop in town did not have a replacement.

I am wondering if this is more of a Madison thing than a Wisconsin thing. I have been out to some of your bigger courses - and more often than not, the short tees are buried because they are never used. I especially liked Tower Ridge (original). Those are the type of courses we do not have in Minnesota.

When I've played in WI, at Dretzka, RR, or any of the upstate courses the long tees were played at least as much if there were two sets.

Every time you throw a disc is practice. I have no idea what that last statement was supposed to imply.

At any rate, the idea that someone can throw max 300' yet usually hits the fairway is laughable. At that range you are simply a terrible disc golfer. Only a child, female, elderly, or otherwise handicapped golfer would possibly fit that description. For a regularly abled adult 300' with accuracy means you COULD decide to dig in for more distance. So what you are calling a boring easy par 3 is really just a product of the old man golf being played.

Of course it is much more likely that these 300' throwers you refer to in fact do not have accuracy, it is just that your wide open Texas courses require no accuracy. Put them on a well designed course and those easy par 3s turn into legit par 4s for that golfer.

Are you saying that Disc Golfers that max out at 300ft. are terrible Disc Golfers? Even if they can usually hit the fairway?

Are you saying that Disc Golfers that max out at 300ft. are terrible Disc Golfers? Even if they can usually hit the fairway?

Demographically, Yes. Is that a controversial statement?

There will always be that guy who nails every putt within 40' that scores well but has no arm strength whatsoever. That is an extreme outlier, and usually a result of age or infirmity if the power never develops. Nobody with any skill gets stuck at a 300' plateau. Nobody with any skill gets to 300' and says "whelp, I think this is far enough!".

At any rate, the idea that someone can throw max 300' yet usually hits the fairway is laughable. At that range you are simply a terrible disc golfer. Only a child, female, elderly, or otherwise handicapped golfer would possibly fit that description.

I'm 59, athletic, in good shape, been playing modern disc golf (as opposed to frisbee golf) for 2 years, but I max out at 300'. Is that because I'm elderly?

Stop feeding the troll. :|

Who is the troll? I would say anyone telling a 300' max power disc golfer they were good at disc golf is a troll. You aren't helping them, you are telling them that their poor performance is good. Unhelpful.

I just heard one from one high school kid on Monday who seems to be newer to the sport: Only shot I need besides putting is a power hyzer for any course, that is what the pro players do on the Youtube tournaments. New guy had for a single disc, a beat up DX ROC 3 that he used for everything. The other guy who as playing with more then just one disc and has been playing longer, went on to correct him saying only one guy does that on a bunch of courses and he is doing sky hyzer shots. That was what I heard before they got out of range. I was Had to wait for them at hole one as well as the mowers of the city park, they were bad and threw me off my game as I had to wait or speed up on first hole then waited.

Last edited:
I can only throw 275 max right now. That is due to being a small guy at 5 foot 2 inches and roughly 107-110 lb. I am 30 years old.

I played with a guy that was probably 5' 4" that could bomb around 425' on golf lines. You can do it, don't settle for less, work on your form and I guarantee you can at least improve from your current distance!

Demographically, Yes. Is that a controversial statement?

There will always be that guy who nails every putt within 40' that scores well but has no arm strength whatsoever. That is an extreme outlier, and usually a result of age or infirmity if the power never develops. Nobody with any skill gets stuck at a 300' plateau. Nobody with any skill gets to 300' and says "whelp, I think this is far enough!".

Controversial?? No more controversial than someone with Asperger's Symdrome that can't mark their courses played attempting to navigate forums?threads. :D Eye of the tiger Sonic, eye of the tiger.

Latest posts