• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Things noobs say...

My biggest N00b pet peeve: Me: "Hey I'm going to play from the long pad but you should play from the shorts." Them: "Nah, I'll just play from where you are playing from." If it was your second time playing ball golf would you play from the black tees? Ugh.

Maybe they want to feel like they aren't getting some type of a handicap and want to play properly off the same tees? What adult wants to play off the kiddie tees to begin with? Certainly no one I ever played with and I did not either when I first started.

Maybe they want to feel like they aren't getting some type of a handicap and want to play properly off the same tees? What adult wants to play off the kiddie tees to begin with? Certainly no one I ever played with and I did not either when I first started.

I agree. When I first started gettin serious about DG there was no way I'd swallow my pride and play from the shorts.. I wanted to be right with them, watch them throw, and figure out how to throw it just as far or farther than them, and I did. (Not that the point of discing is to be better than your opponent or anything!.. I learned quickly that it's me vs. the course.)

This isn't ball golf. All adults should throw longs.

What adult wants to play off the kiddie tees to begin with? Certainly no one I ever played with and I did not either when I first started.

Noobs and their short tees.....we are not kids
Psh
Bah!
1)Age &/or injury will catch up with you eventually, and then you'll either backoff your pride/bravado, or hurt yourself and cut short your playing. :\
2)Not all longs are better. Some are just longer...boringly, painfully, not challengingly (other than the distance) longer. Sometimes even unsafe, like one local course here where some of the longs result in crossing the fairway for another hole, and/or the long tee means throwing blind through areas where people are moving. :thmbdown:

Bah!
1)Age &/or injury will catch up with you eventually, and then you'll either backoff your pride/bravado, or hurt yourself and cut short your playing. :\
2)Not all longs are better. Some are just longer...boringly, painfully, not challengingly (other than the distance) longer. Sometimes even unsafe, like one local course here where some of the longs result in crossing the fairway for another hole, and/or the long tee means throwing blind through areas where people are moving. :thmbdown:

Agreed. Reading the quotes you referenced got me kind of annoyed. I never played a course yet that had the tee boxes marked "adult and kids" or "mens and womens". On on my local courses when they do Match Play tourneys or any tourney, the tee options are basically Pro or Am, Am being the shorter tees obviously.
Playing almost 2 yrs and being 46 now, I never heard anyone disparage playing shorter tees as "lesser than", it's only been about skill level/experience. Picking up the game in my mid 40's and getting to play no more than a few times a month? Yeah I'm playing the amateur tees..

Mine was sarcasm 100%. I play shorts a lot since I like 2 rd days. I didn't mean to come off like that

And plus teenagers can beat me haha. Jealous but rooting for them.

Last edited:
Bah!

:thmbdown::thmbdown::thmbdown: I'm 61 with cancer and inherited coronary artery disease. So don't go preaching to me.

Better tee pads

Bah!

I almost always play the short tees, for a variety of reasons, but the two biggest are that I don't have a big arm and many of the courses I play have concrete tee pads short (they were the original pads in most cases) and natural pads long (added long after the course opened). I'm almost always going to go with the better tee pad. BTW, I'm closer to 60 than 50. I'm in good shape and can play all day (and sometimes do), but I still don't have the arm for 700-foot holes. When my group played Selah, we played the short tees.

Things noobs say:

My Discraft Memorial Day Mystery Box sucked. I thought it was a chance for Discraft to give away all their really cool, great selling discs and baskets. I never imagined it was a marketing gig for Discraft to get rid of a bunch of stuff they had too much of or could not sell.

Things noobs say:

My Discraft Memorial Day Mystery Box sucked. I thought it was a chance for Discraft to give away all their really cool, great selling discs and baskets. I never imagined it was a marketing gig for Discraft to get rid of a bunch of stuff they had too much of or could not sell.

I know right!
Sold 10 good Discs to afford the latest DM mystery box, I'll send a picture of my tears when there's no prototype Method in them. Jussi is a genius.

Things noobs say:

If that is the case a Putt'r only in Soft X should have been in every box. I am sure that is the worst selling Discraft disc still made. There is a reason a lid type disc should not be made in a soft flexible plastic.

What other tees? For the longest time I did not know that other tee pads did exist more just the Alternate tee pad that is a true Alternate set and not a short to long set of tee pads. I thought that shorter tees was just a Golf thing for a while like first two-three years of play. However I did see a course that had beginner par, intermediate par, and advanced par before knew courses could have shorter tees.

Bah!

In MN, the long tees are designed as the proper tees and short tees are there to facilitate youth/eldery/female/otherwise handicapped players. I understand that other parts of the country have less capable course designers, where the "long" tees are simply slapped on with added distance to accommodate the extremely small percentage of players in that area that can break 350'. Here in MN the short tees are slapped on to artificially take off distance and difficulty for the minority of players that suck.

This isn't weightlifting. You cannot hurt yourself by throwing from a more challenging tee. And there is simply no benefit to playing tees according to your ability level. If you are not a mental midget you will be able to cope with the higher scores, and at the same time aspire to throw a disc properly and proficiently enough to eventually score well from the longs.

Evidence that my snobbery is warranted: https://udisc.com/blog/post/top-disc-golf-cities-usa-top-10-recap-11-50-revealed (and we should be #1 because their quality rankings cause quantity to be a disadvantage)

In MN, the long tees are designed as the proper tees and short tees are there to facilitate youth/eldery/female/otherwise handicapped players. I understand that other parts of the country have less capable course designers, where the "long" tees are simply slapped on with added distance to accommodate the extremely small percentage of players in that area that can break 350'. Here in MN the short tees are slapped on to artificially take off distance and difficulty for the minority of players that suck.

This isn't weightlifting. You cannot hurt yourself by throwing from a more challenging tee. And there is simply no benefit to playing tees according to your ability level. If you are not a mental midget you will be able to cope with the higher scores, and at the same time aspire to throw a disc properly and proficiently enough to eventually score well from the longs.

Evidence that my snobbery is warranted: https://udisc.com/blog/post/top-disc-golf-cities-usa-top-10-recap-11-50-revealed (and we should be #1 because their quality rankings cause quantity to be a disadvantage)

Well.....maybe MN could share it's wealth of superior course designers. Maybe we can then see MI courses reach the height of perfection, like all MN courses.

Wait, I have played several MN courses, I don't remember design perfection. Of course, MI has 8 cities in the top 50, so maybe MN is just under appreciated?

The rest of your post is............well........wrong. But, I guess you have an opinion.

Last edited:
Hand jobs for all Minnisotans!

I'm not sure what it is about Minnesota disc golfers?? I have met a few of the nicest people ever (Cale Leiviska, Collin Bailey, Ben Kroll) and then met some of the most arrogant DBs as well (Jordan Castro, Lucas Hegna, Alec Anderson) there's no in between.

Most communities have a little bit of everything, but MN seems to be extreme, one way or another.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

leave this conversation the adults and go back to BRP and VQ

I'm not sure what it is about Minnesota disc golfers?? I have ... met some of the most arrogant DBs as well (Jordan Castro, Lucas Hegna, Alec Anderson) there's no in between.

apparently, you forgot SonicGuy

Disc golfers: why can't we have courses with legit par 4's and 5's??

Same disc golfers: I am old and my bones hurt, why would I ever play the long tees??