• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Things noobs say...

Well.....maybe MN could share it's wealth of superior course designers. Maybe we can then see MI courses reach the height of perfection, like all MN courses.

Wait, I have played several MN courses, I don't remember design perfection. Of course, MI has 8 cities in the top 50, so maybe MN is just under appreciated?

The rest of your post is............well........wrong. But, I guess you have an opinion.

I will throw this in because I am not going back to see where the conversation started.

As a Minnesotan that has played well over 70% of the courses in the state, I will agree that I have seen several courses in Iowa, Michigan, Illinois, and so forth that definitely put our courses to shame. Of course, I have seen them when those courses were set up for major tournaments, so they were at their finest. I remember 2014 Am Worlds in the Twin Cities and how our courses were "redesigned" into layouts we had not seen before and, in some cases, have not seen since. That might have been the situation in some of the out-of-state courses I visited.

So, to be fair, what I liked about the courses in other states is a greater variety and usage of elevation. When it comes to our courses, for better or worse, we do not have much elevation aside for maybe a marquee hole here or there or if the course is on skiing slope. Additionally, most of our courses are designed for par 3s. Now, granted, we have some rather difficult par 3s, but we lack a lot of par 4s and 5s, and when we do have them, they are marquee holes. For the 2015 and 2017 Am Worlds (MI and IL respectively), I was spoiled by courses that had numerous such holes on each course. So, I will agree with you, there are plenty of places that have better, and or more of them, courses than Minnesota.

But to the comment about long and short tees, that I will defend the Minnesota mentality. Long tees are given that they should be played with short tees for special considerations (age, ability, snow, putter rounds, etc). This is something I do not see often in other places. The last time I played in Madison, WI - and I am sorry I cannot remember the course, but it was one of their popular ones in the middle of the city - I sat on the long tee of Hole 1 waiting for my turn. My cousin, living in Madison thought I was crazy, and I soon learned why. While waiting for the basket to clear, groups kept walking past me to the short tee and teed off with no consideration of what I was doing. I eventually yelled at a group. They apologized and said that they did not think I was playing - no one plays from the long tees except pros during tournaments and leagues. And the course designed looked like it - just added distance but no other added challenge.

Hey lookie here! A whole post written by a noob!

In MN, the long tees are designed as the proper tees and short tees are there to facilitate youth/eldery/female/otherwise handicapped players. I understand that other parts of the country have less capable course designers, where the "long" tees are simply slapped on with added distance to accommodate the extremely small percentage of players in that area that can break 350'. Here in MN the short tees are slapped on to artificially take off distance and difficulty for the minority of players that suck.

This isn't weightlifting. You cannot hurt yourself by throwing from a more challenging tee. And there is simply no benefit to playing tees according to your ability level. If you are not a mental midget you will be able to cope with the higher scores, and at the same time aspire to throw a disc properly and proficiently enough to eventually score well from the longs.

Evidence that my snobbery is warranted: https://udisc.com/blog/post/top-disc-golf-cities-usa-top-10-recap-11-50-revealed (and we should be #1 because their quality rankings cause quantity to be a disadvantage)

What other tees? For the longest time I did not know that other tee pads did exist more just the Alternate tee pad that is a true Alternate set and not a short to long set of tee pads. I thought that shorter tees was just a Golf thing for a while like first two-three years of play. However I did see a course that had beginner par, intermediate par, and advanced par before knew courses could have shorter tees.

Maybe it depends where in the country you play, but every course around me has at least 2 sets of tees, some of them even have 3, regular, short, and longer tees for the guys with the big arms.

In MN, the long tees are designed as the proper tees and short tees are there to facilitate youth/eldery/female/otherwise handicapped players. I understand that other parts of the country have less capable course designers, where the "long" tees are simply slapped on with added distance to accommodate the extremely small percentage of players in that area that can break 350'. Here in MN the short tees are slapped on to artificially take off distance and difficulty for the minority of players that suck.

This isn't weightlifting. You cannot hurt yourself by throwing from a more challenging tee. And there is simply no benefit to playing tees according to your ability level. If you are not a mental midget you will be able to cope with the higher scores, and at the same time aspire to throw a disc properly and proficiently enough to eventually score well from the longs.

Evidence that my snobbery is warranted: https://udisc.com/blog/post/top-disc-golf-cities-usa-top-10-recap-11-50-revealed (and we should be #1 because their quality rankings cause quantity to be a disadvantage)

What I bolded from your post I have seen evidence of in some cases as well. I have even been on some courses where the longer tees make it easier to avoid early tree hits than throwing off the regular tees.

Maybe it depends where in the country you play, but every course around me has at least 2 sets of tees, some of them even have 3, regular, short, and longer tees for the guys with the big arms.

We had alternate tees on some courses but not 2-3 short long set in South Dakota, and the rare few courses in the places I visited. It was not until I heard/read of some courses that used the not beginner closest tees to the basket but the furthest back and next ahead from that tees for tournaments in Minneapolis/St Paul area in the 1980's.

Or make much difference in my score :D

Or mine unless the beginner set were made even too easy for beginner, I am talking holes under 100 Feet. Yeah a course I played at, Erie State Park NY, Shipwreck Cove course has a close set on a hole that I would advise the beginner to play from the furthest back set of tees if the course still has the three set of tees that are grass/natural and did not end up with Concrete or other that is better then using just natural for tees.

Things noobs say:

My Discraft Memorial Day Mystery Box sucked. I thought it was a chance for Discraft to give away all their really cool, great selling discs and baskets. I never imagined it was a marketing gig for Discraft to get rid of a bunch of stuff they had too much of or could not sell.

So that explains the players packs that include a collection of used bandages and nude pictures of Ernest Borgnine. Even Pawn Stars wouldn't buy it.