• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Thoughts on simple private course

CrowLegs

Eagle Member
Premium Member
Some of my friends manage a church camp in the-middle-of-nowhere Ohio.

They have 9 baskets, some In-Step, some of an unknown brand. They are all on stands and can be moved around pretty easily.

It's a lot of fun playing around with them and making up holes.

Today I thought I'd try to lay out a course to see how it might look. Keep in mind this will be private with never more than a few groups playing at once. The dirt road in the image is more-or-less a driveway. There's a significant drop on the south side of the pond (hence the white slip-n-slide). For reference, hole #10 seems to be around 350'.

Thoughts and comments welcome. I might try to set this up this way next time I'm up there....

PilgrimHills%20DGC-XL.jpg

Not to be a Negative Nancy, but my first thought is couldn't you work a water carry of some sort into that? If the one end is quite a bit higher, make it a downhill shot over the water. That pond's just itchin for more action than you're giving it.

Not to be a Negative Nancy, but my first thought is couldn't you work a water carry of some sort into that? If the one end is quite a bit higher, make it a downhill shot over the water. That pond's just itchin for more action than you're giving it.

like 17 tee to 4/13's basket

It would appear that #16 as is sets up as a water carry should one want to take the more direct route to the basket than the line drawn on the map.

Considering it's a church camp course and a relatively short one at that (nothing over 350), one hole with a possible water carry and a few others in which water can come into play seems more than adequate. It's not like the course needs to be anything spectacular to be fun for the folks who will be playing it.

If you back up the 15 tee, you could have another water-carry option, with what appear to be large trees defining the route.

One aspect I like in this design is that the shared baskets are approached from completely different directions. If you must use the same green twice---and, clearly, you must---this makes it seem as fresh as possible.

Thanks for the comments so far! I like the idea of water as an option, just not as the only path.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like it. As stated above, cool that you're not overlapping.
One idea I can offer is maybe hole 15 tee could be moved to the left of the tree and go over the water, unless the distance is too much for younger players.

I like it. As stated above, cool that you're not overlapping.
One idea I can offer is maybe hole 15 tee could be moved to the left of the tree and go over the water, unless the distance is too much for younger players.

Maybe a 'pro' tee on 15.... I like it

Here's the important question: Are you supposed to ride the slip n slide from 13 to 14, or does it go the other way? I can't tell if the pond is in the bottom of a bowl or if the slide is on a berm around the outside of it.

The slide goes down from the lake. It would be awesome to incorporate it. Maybe spray paint a tee box half way down and you have to throw on the move...

looks like a lot of fun... I guess I don't know what the carry would be for a serious water hole here... whenever you see water like that you just gotta have that element added in somehow and somewhere...

or a hole that finishes near the shore line to add in the danger element of over-shooting... something

heh... have fun, looks great-ish :D

Latest posts