• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Thunderbird

I actually really like the DX plastic on these. It's grippy and stiff, almost like 2012 era pro plastic. I've been using one in the spot I normally reserve for Stags in my winter bag some and it's a great disc. I may get a Star one too and see if it could actually claim that spot.

So im looking for something to fit between my C-PDs and my Valkyries. Something straight with a small fade(that will eventually beat out of it, or better yet something just straight to start with). Would u guys think a 165 champion thunderbird would be good here? How do the luster champs compare)

So im looking for something to fit between my C-PDs and my Valkyries. Something straight with a small fade(that will eventually beat out of it, or better yet something just straight to start with). Would u guys think a 165 champion thunderbird would be good here? How do the luster champs compare)

You wont find a thunderbird that can fit that description until it is well seasoned. Been throwing my life 171 pro since it came out and its just starting to lose some fade. A DD escape, however will fill in for what you're looking for.

I had a 175 champion thunderbird that was a total beefcake from the start so I sold it to a buddy who is primarily FH. He of course beat it to death and it lost some of its fade, and kept its HSS (very little high speed turn). However, I cannot imagine it eventually beating into straight. It would still have a moderate fade at the end. My 172 volt has a much softer fade than that thunderbird ever did (he threw it into a pond) but it is beat to a pulp both by use and parking lots (I wanted it to get there quick). I'd suggest a 168-170 neutron volt and beat it in, or beat in a DX thunderbird to straight. That long straight shot is a tricky one to get right, as a straight disc will beat into US but an OS disc won't really get there quick. I will say (and others will probably agree) after seasoning an OS one that it will stay there a lot longer than a fresh, straighter disc.

Have you tried a Viking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Havent tried a Viking, but I'm gonna try and keep this thread from drifting too much.

So, what's the least OS Thunderbird(premium plastic)?

For me it's a low PLH Champ. Mine happens to be pink.
Do you consider Pro plastic to be premium? My pro is about the same stability as my pink Champ.

No, I think of pro as midgrade. I was more referring to the star and champion style blends as premium
(Champ, MF, glow, luster, star, gstar, shimmer)

Havent tried a Viking, but I'm gonna try and keep this thread from drifting too much.
So, what's the least OS Thunderbird(premium plastic)?

Probably the GStar. Having said that: from what I'm reading, you may be trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. The Thunderbird is generally meant to be (over)stable.

Probably the GStar. Having said that: from what I'm reading, you may be trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. The Thunderbird is generally meant to be (over)stable.

Ok, thanks. I'll look for a better thread to ask/look for suggestions so this one doesn't get too far off topic

A Discmania CD2 is a disc between a Valkyrie and PD. It is less stable than the PD or Thunderbird and is in the same speed range.

Just received my first Thunderbird ( 169 gram Champ ) and noticed a fair amount of bubbles in the rim. Is this common with sub 170 gram Thunderbirds?

I can't say that I recall seeing any in my lighter ones. How much is a fair amount?

Just received my first Thunderbird ( 169 gram Champ ) and noticed a fair amount of bubbles in the rim. Is this common with sub 170 gram Thunderbirds?

My Champ Thunderbird is about the same weight and there are virtually no bubbles. However, mine is a McBeth 3x, not a 4x, so that might make a difference.