• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Thunderbird

My favorite Thunderbirds are 168-169 Champion plastic. I currently have four under 170 in champ. No bubbles. Hopefully this is not a production change.

Yeah, what's strange to me is that these would have been X-Outs a few years ago. The Air bubbles are very easy to see inthe Jolly Launcher plastic so I'm positive that the factory saw them…

^ That sucks. I forgot about my happy holidays Thunderbirds, they are both 168 with no bubbles.

Some plastic blends are too dense to be used in legal weight discs, that's why for example the second run FDs has bubbles in the rim, why some PD2s have bubbles in the rim etc. The second run FDs and the bubbles PD2s are among the most stable runs of the mentioned discs ... its possible that your 168 Thunderbird is more stable than a typical Thunderbird

That's definitely not normal for a Thunderbird of that weight. If you bought it new, is be tempted to return it or contact Innova. I'll see if I still have any in that weight and will snap a pic. Almost all of mine are 171g, though.

My 175 thunderbird had bubbles just like that. Not quite as many I don't think but pretty close. Don't have a pic on hand. it's definitely not completely out of the ordinary

Some plastic blends are too dense to be used in legal weight discs, that's why for example the second run FDs has bubbles in the rim, why some PD2s have bubbles in the rim etc. The second run FDs and the bubbles PD2s are among the most stable runs of the mentioned discs ... its possible that your 168 Thunderbird is more stable than a typical Thunderbird

I've only thrown a friend's Thundy (Champ 175 grams) once before my purchase and wouldn't know the difference between normal and abnormal even if the weights were the same.

That's definitely not normal for a Thunderbird of that weight. If you bought it new, is be tempted to return it or contact Innova. I'll see if I still have any in that weight and will snap a pic. Almost all of mine are 171g, though.

Nah, the stamp has already been wiped with acetone, what's done is done. This weekend I'll take it out for a spin and see how she floats. My hunch is that there won't be much difference, the PLH didn't look crazy or anything.

My DXs are more overstable than my Champs. I don't have any Stars or G*.

By most accounts the Champs and G* are less stable than the Stars. My Pros are the same as or less stable than my Champs depending on PLH and some.

Hope that helps!

Both of my 167 3x Champ Thunderbird's have no bubbles.

My GF's sister got me a fly-dye 167 3x Champ Thunderbird and it does have bubbles in the rim.

Weird.

The DX ones have some good HSS to start. Really been enjoying it so far.

My Star is fairly stable. If I wanted a more US compliment, would Pro work or would I have to go DX?

Go Pro (pun not intended). It'll beat in to less understable, and a bit more quickly than even the DX will. My DX is still pretty OS... admittedly I haven't thrown it all that much...

Go Pro (pun not intended). It'll beat in to less understable, and a bit more quickly than even the DX will. My DX is still pretty OS... admittedly I haven't thrown it all that much...

I did. Just made my post-Christmas Mother-In-Law Cash Marshall Street order.

Good call. Pro has a little HST out of the box. If I lost a good broken in Champ Thunderbird, I'd be confident in replacing those with a Pro for a while.

My pro (sample size of 1) is just like my star. Feels like star, overstable like star, beating in very slowly like star. I'd go Gstar or light DX for US. My 150 DX and my 168 Gstar fly pretty similarly. Both have maybe a -1 turn out of the box although the DX fades a little more aggressively than the Gstar.

If you like Gstar they are the least stable when new. The pro Thunderbirds are not the pro of the last 5 years or so. The latest pro does not mold up domey and is really grippy.