• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Thunderbird

The newer star thunderbirds are really nice. Much more workable and fly how you think they should. They are considerably softer and have a little dome to them. Highly recommended to anyone who likes how the champ thunderbirds flies, but prefers star plastic.

These sound nice. The star thunderbirds I bought from the first run were slick and very overstable. I liked the flight of the pro Thunderbirds that had a little dome but the plastic was super tacky and felt strange.

The newer star thunderbirds are really nice. Much more workable and fly how you think they should. They are considerably softer and have a little dome to them. Highly recommended to anyone who likes how the champ thunderbirds flies, but prefers star plastic.

How are you identifying the newer run? Do they have the mini thunderbird stamp? I was thinking of ordering some F2s and getting some softer run star plastic (like the firebirds they have on hand).

How are you identifying the newer run? Do they have the mini thunderbird stamp? I was thinking of ordering some F2s and getting some softer run star plastic (like the firebirds they have on hand).

Just the dome and feel (much softer than the previous ones). I have two Kolings, two mini thunderbird stamp, and my latest two F2s have all been really nice. I was at Glide disc golf shop in Madison on Friday and all of the mini stamps had the same shape and feel so I would think those would be the safest bet if you were just gonna go blind ordering one online.

This has probably been covered in this thread but...are people cycling Thunderbirds like they do OLFs/PDs. How are these working for covering that speed 9 control spot?

I compared a couple of star thundies at a local BNM - I was given the impression that one must have been from an earlier run, as the PLH was very high as compared to the one that had come in more recently. The more recent one had a PLH more in line with a typical jolly launcher thundie.

Seems like they ironed out whatever particularity was causing the star thundies to come out so beefy. This is fine with me, as I like star plastic but have little desire for crazy beefy thunderbirds. :thmbup:

Streets, you read my mind. I was consodering adding a Thundy to the bag so I did and aced with it yesterday. So I'd like to know the same thing how does a Thunderbird cycle work out. Do I need a valk alongside a few Thundys? Whats up wit it?

This has probably been covered in this thread but...are people cycling Thunderbirds like they do OLFs/PDs. How are these working for covering that speed 9 control spot?

Streets, you read my mind. I was consodering adding a Thundy to the bag so I did and aced with it yesterday. So I'd like to know the same thing how does a Thunderbird cycle work out. Do I need a valk alongside a few Thundys? Whats up wit it?

Champ Thunderbirds are my most thrown driver. I throw them both BH and FH, and they feel more comfortable for me for FH than Teebirds so they get thrown more. I like them enough to have a nice stack of backups. Here's what my experience with them has been like:

I have a really beat up 3x that is basically like a new-ish Valkyrie; have had it for a couple of years now. I alternate between this and a newer Pro Thunderbird. Both show some turn and if there isn't a lot of room I'd worry about them drifting a little too much, but both still come back at the end (though not too much; basically ending up straight ahead.)

My seasoned 4x shows a little bit of turn sometimes but is mostly straight with a mild finish. Basically like a seasoned Champ Teebird that I have been beating in for the last 2 years. I threw it on some narrow fairways this past weekend and it stayed in bounds. It is also my go-to for when I need to hit any gaps that give people trouble; just an easy forehand thrower that doesn't fade out very much.

I also carry a fresh one for straight to hyzer and/or headwinds. Very predictable and I look forward to it breaking in to the same spot as my go-to.

I have a Star Thunderbird that is beefy; I don't really throw it as I bag a Champ Firebird.

These are all penned, if that matters; I'm not sure if the embossed are any different.

If starting a cycle, I would go with a fresh Champ, a Pro for straight out of the box, and a Valkyrie if you want a stand-in until one gets beat in enough. The Pro will get there soon though. One of the beefy Stars or a Firebird for the OS flyer, if you want that slot.

I am currently working on a smaller bag with only 5 destroyers and 5 thunderbirds plus mids and putters lol. I've always had at least 3 Thundy's ITB b/c they have always felt the best in my hand. The five im working with now are a G* that is dead straight or i can get a little turn out of it, a beat in Champ that gives a nice s-curve or perfect for hyper flips, a newer star run to replace where the champ was when it was new, an earlier run that's still has a ton of beef that's been ITB for about 5 years, and I just recently put in a very flat JK Thundy from last year's run as a FH/a little longer Firebird replacement.

Thanks for the help guys! Looks like I'll start with a couple of Pros and start working them in :hfive:

I've said this in here before, but pro thunderbirds are so nice! I bag one that's pretty beat in that has probably been in the bag for about a year, and a fresher one. For my power these are the ultimate control drivers. The beat one I can hyzerflip pretty easily, but it's still plenty controllable imo. I don't have big power, so ymmv, but I can get these out to about 330 probably a little more if that gives you a little better idea. The fresher one is just dead straight with a slight finish, it does flip up to flat as I tend to generally release these on a slight hyzer, but the fresh one definitely has less turn overall. So if you tend to always release flat you might see different results and more turn. I also bag a champ f2, but it's pretty overstable and honestly overlaps with my beat in firebird a bit. May have to add a g-star at some point. Sorry for rambling.

I've said this in here before, but pro thunderbirds are so nice! I bag one that's pretty beat in that has probably been in the bag for about a year, and a fresher one. For my power these are the ultimate control drivers. The beat one I can hyzerflip pretty easily, but it's still plenty controllable imo. I don't have big power, so ymmv, but I can get these out to about 330 probably a little more if that gives you a little better idea. The fresher one is just dead straight with a slight finish, it does flip up to flat as I tend to generally release these on a slight hyzer, but the fresh one definitely has less turn overall. So if you tend to always release flat you might see different results and more turn. I also bag a champ f2, but it's pretty overstable and honestly overlaps with my beat in firebird a bit. May have to add a g-star at some point. Sorry for rambling.

Thanks for the info, based on what you said, I will have a similar experience. My distance is similar to yours so I'm excited to hear this is what the Pro Thundies do.

I'll have to try a pro, sounds great.
I throw a gstar when I was lots of lateral movement or into a moderate headwind, but it doesn't get as much distance as my Teebirds, I wonder how a pro thundy would compare?

Thanks for the info, based on what you said, I will have a similar experience. My distance is similar to yours so I'm excited to hear this is what the Pro Thundies do.

No problem. Keep in mind, I'm working with a small sample size and don't really know exactly how the newer runs are flying, but either way I think you'll like em and find them quite useful. The fresher one i have is on the stiffer side for pro plastic and super shiny. It's an F2 that I got from the factory store quite awhile back, but just didn't go in my bag right away. I know the last order I placed from the proshop I got one from the same run, and they are the best I have tried and tend to hold their stability quite a bit longer than the softer pro plastic, but I still like both variants. :thmbup:

I'll have to try a pro, sounds great.
I throw a gstar when I was lots of lateral movement or into a moderate headwind, but it doesn't get as much distance as my Teebirds, I wonder how a pro thundy would compare?

Are you saying you currently throw a Gstar? If that's the case the pro will most likely be more under-stable, so If I'm understanding correctly, might not be exactly what your after. Like I said though, it will all depend on your power, form, and throwing style. They have amazing glide, so I would assume you would definitely get some more distance when compared to your teebird.

Well, thanks to Rusch and many others I am hooked on the new run of star thunderbirds. I bought a few last weekend on my way to leagues, dropped my Vikings before ever throwing one and parked the first hole forehand with my first ever throw with this mold. It quickly became my go to the rest of the round, pairing nicely with my star FDs, DDs and Firebirds and led me to a nice win/cash prize. Great mold and run!

Are you saying you currently throw a Gstar? If that's the case the pro will most likely be more under-stable, so If I'm understanding correctly, might not be exactly what your after. Like I said though, it will all depend on your power, form, and throwing style. They have amazing glide, so I would assume you would definitely get some more distance when compared to your teebird.

Sorry, I was unclear.
I was wondering about distance vs my Teebirds. I like my gstar but it's pretty stable for my arm speed, so not my distance driver.

Well, thanks to Rusch and many others I am hooked on the new run of star thunderbirds. I bought a few last weekend on my way to leagues, dropped my Vikings before ever throwing one and parked the first hole forehand with my first ever throw with this mold. It quickly became my go to the rest of the round, pairing nicely with my star FDs, DDs and Firebirds and led me to a nice win/cash prize. Great mold and run!

What differentiates them from the more OS run?

Sorry, I was unclear.
I was wondering about distance vs my Teebirds. I like my gstar but it's pretty stable for my arm speed, so not my distance driver.

Yes, definitely give the pro a try if that's the case. Might be similar to gstar at first, but should beat in nicely.