• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Thunderbird

I've got a collection of Firebirds I'm actually trying to fit into this role. So far my 2017 Sexton Tour Bird is the closest. My FAF old Star is the most OS and my pearly champ Bird is somewhere in the middle. Doubt it will beat into straight though. Next on my list is a DX Bird specifically for bashing into trees :p

In my bag currently I have an old ce-like pro firebird from well befofe I started playing that is kinda overstable, a star flight number par # that is straight with little fade, and a weird old pearly champion one I found at play it again that will actually turn a decent bit. I got tons of the stiff FAF star ones that are stupid beef that I will hardly ever use. I like broken in firebirds. They are really good straight flying discs once broken in a fair bit. haha.

From what I have see the dx ones get silly flippy fast. I havent thrown one tho.

Will these ever get to the point of having the same distance potential as Valks and/or Sidewinders? I am throwing Sidewinders so far I have been thinking of attempting to use speed 9 as my max as an experiment. My current Thunderbirds are far too stable for max distance throws.
Once they beat in a little my star and gstar thundies started beating my Valk for max d. But my backhand sucks and I get my max distance forehand.

Anyone else broken in some firebirds to fly like thunderbirds? I havent thrown thunderbirds since the proto stars because I have soo many star firebirds that I will never lose them all. My star firebirds are broken in straight to cover all my thunderbird like shots. Am I the only one?

Not Firebirds, but Star FLs get to that Thunderbird area. I used to have a beat to crap champ Firebird that was run over by a mower (it was still surprisingly in good shape just split down the parting line which a I melted back together) which flew like a beat Champ Teebird. It didn't have the legs to compare it to a Thunderbird. It was my favorite disc. Sadly, I threw it into a grove of junipers and it's probably still there to this day.

A have a new champion thunderbird 169g that I would swear is a mislabeled firebird....no glide very overstable dump. This is my first thunderbird and since it is nothing like my OLFs (straight with glide but fade), I am wondering if I should try pro or gstar plastic. Or something else? Or just stick with my OLFs? Stable 9 speeds seem to be my arm speed limit right now. Not sure if PDs will be any better?

A have a new champion thunderbird 169g that I would swear is a mislabeled firebird....no glide very overstable dump. This is my first thunderbird and since it is nothing like my OLFs (straight with glide but fade), I am wondering if I should try pro or gstar plastic. Or something else? Or just stick with my OLFs? Stable 9 speeds seem to be my arm speed limit right now. Not sure if PDs will be any better?
Star, Gstar, or Pro will all work well for your needs. The Pro however will beat in rather quickly and get quite flippy.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

You must have gotten a bad one. Thunderbirds are generally somewhat overstable, but they glide well and don't have a really dumpy fade.

The champion Thunderbird in my bag will go dead straight before a mellow fade out to 400'. What really sold me on the mold in the first place was great glide, no high speed turn, and mellow fade. Basically like a longer, glidier Teebird.

G* Thunderbirds are only OK for me. You'll notice high speed turn with them. They're longer than champions, but can be dicey in the wind.

I picked up a newer run 171 Champ and it too, is Firebird overstable. The rest of my champs are straight to fade but this thing is BEEFY. It's very domey. Is yours?

I've got a max weight champ that is definitely beefy, its equivalent to my 4 year old Champ firebird. I picked mine up in June maybe?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I picked up a newer run 171 Champ and it too, is Firebird overstable. The rest of my champs are straight to fade but this thing is BEEFY. It's very domey. Is yours?

Yes, domed. Bought in August. I got champion because I read that star was more over stable to start....should I look for another champion that is less domey?

I got one of those domey champ thunderbirds as well. It was the second most overstable disc I have ever owned. I couldn't get mine over 300' and I have thrown my used star thundy 400'

Yes, domed. Bought in August. I got champion because I read that star was more over stable to start....should I look for another champion that is less domey?

I think it's something with the way champ molds have been coming out lately...I got a champ Valkyrie around that same time that was super domey and flies like a Thunderbird.

In my experience, flatter the better

I own 3 Star, 3 Luster Champion & 1 Glow Champion Thunderbird & they are all flat to mild dome. None of them pop-top. For me it's been a consistent mold in stability.

The one Innova produced mold that I saw serious difference in stability from dome was the S-Line CD2. I had a pop-top that was very OS to start but beat to exactly what I wanted & more true to the flight #'s. Unfortunately I lost it to the forest gnomes but was an amazing FH disc for me. I've bought two S-Line CD2's since that were flat & they are basically Valkyries.

I would love to find a consistent replacement for that OS CD2. Something milder than a Thunderbird but still OS.

I own 3 Star, 3 Luster Champion & 1 Glow Champion Thunderbird & they are all flat to mild dome. None of them pop-top. For me it's been a consistent mold in stability.

The one Innova produced mold that I saw serious difference in stability from dome was the S-Line CD2. I had a pop-top that was very OS to start but beat to exactly what I wanted & more true to the flight #'s. Unfortunately I lost it to the forest gnomes but was an amazing FH disc for me. I've bought two S-Line CD2's since that were flat & they are basically Valkyries.

I would love to find a consistent replacement for that OS CD2. Something milder than a Thunderbird but still OS.

A seasoned regular Champ Thunderbird is what I use that fits that description, though mine are all either 3x or penned 4x. Great FH disc, fits the CD2 flight numbers. Seems like the embossed Champs have come out differently.

Thundervant left happy holidays thunderbird that has been used two rounds on the right. The Thundervant is jolly launcher and has new tooling for a thunderbird. The thundervant has a very high parting line.

Attachments

• 15755689019868024801295515681106.jpg
    15755689019868024801295515681106.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 63