• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Thunderbird

Sounds like the Star and Champ are flip-flopping. Wasn't too long ago that Star was really beefy and Champ was true to the numbers.

My favorite Thunderbirds are the 3x McBeth Champs and the earlier 4x ones. My workhorses from that time fly like longer mellow Teebirds.

Koling Thunderbirds

Anyone out there that can rank the stability of The different years of Koling Thundy's? Also, could you please include where current runs of Champ, Star, Color Glow, Luster and metal flake fit in? Haven't thrown Thundy's in a few years. Have 4 slots in the bag with the neutral and understable filled by a Pro and DX. Trying to figure out the top two neutral to stable and stable to over stable slots? Thanks!

Anyone out there that can rank the stability of The different years of Koling Thundy's? Also, could you please include where current runs of Champ, Star, Color Glow, Luster and metal flake fit in?

From my experience, the first Koling ThBs are really flat and the most overstable. Last year's Kolings were a lot domier and less overstable; this year's were in between the two. As far as stock stamps, I think luster are the most overstable, followed by champ/glow/color glow, then star. I haven't thrown MF, but I imagine it would be in the champ category.

I typically bag at least 2 ThBs, and right now it's a luster and '19 Koling. I've thrown both for most of this season and they complement each other perfectly. The '19 Koling flips up a bit, but thrown flat it just goes dead straight for 90% of the flight. The luster can take any amount of power I give it and goes forever. It has a lot more fade, which I like; I imagine it flies similar to how PDs are flying these days. If you have DX or Pro ThBs and want another for more overstable shots, champ/luster/glow/MF are going to be what you want to go with. My personal preference is luster because it's basically champ plastic but a little grippier and the ones I have are flatter.

I think the Thunderbird has replaced almost my entire bag... I have a Pro, a Star and a Champ (all max) that cover all variety of shots from US to Stable to Raptor/PD stability. I still have a firebird, teebird and avenger ss (only discraft driver in the bag anymore) but they're collecting dust.

Did this happen with anyone else when they first discovered the good ole thundy?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I think the Thunderbird has replaced almost my entire bag... I have a Pro, a Star and a Champ (all max) that cover all variety of shots from US to Stable to Raptor/PD stability. I still have a firebird, teebird and avenger ss (only discraft driver in the bag anymore) but they're collecting dust.

Did this happen with anyone else when they first discovered the good ole thundy?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

This happened with me for a while. I really leaned on Thunderbirds from around 2015-2017. I still bag a couple Champs and sometimes a Pro, but I have gone back to Champ Teebirds as my main driver. Still nice to have Thunderbirds for certain situations. I did come across some beefy Thunderbirds (Star from a couple years ago) but they never completely took the place of Firebirds for me.

I still bag a couple Champs and sometimes a Pro, but I have gone back to Champ Teebirds as my main driver.

What makes you prefer the Teebird as the main driver? The discs are so similar for me but the Thunderbird is just longer, so shot length is the main factor for me.

What makes you prefer the Teebird as the main driver? The discs are so similar for me but the Thunderbird is just longer, so shot length is the main factor for me.

Wider range of versatility, easier control/more forgiving. They are fairly similar, I agree. Thunderbirds are in my bag for when I want a Teebird but need to throw on a lower line or in wind, or something like a narrow flex shot that I want to be confident will flex back.

Comparing them to the Rocs in my bag, Teebirds are like the workhorse DX/KC Rocs, while the Thunderbirds are like the fresh KC/Champ Roc. Not a perfect analogy but close to the same idea.

Similar situation, I've always felt the Teebird shapes better. The Thunderbird is a better driver to cover distance, but the Teebird will fly on a specific line better.

Example: If I need to hit 400' on a straight line I'll pull the Thunderbird over a Teebird but if I need 250' - 300' of anyhyzer flight that will come out and land on a fairway (or even for a slow hyzer or a flex line) I'll pull my Teebird. A Thunderbird is more liable to not take as tight of a flight line or fade and flair out on the skip.

Why I prefer a Teebird is a Teebird can do the flat line just the same as the Thunderbird and will skip less on top of being able to shape a line.

I know it's not Innova, but the Vulture is a good compromise between the two.

Even with adding a little hyzer? I find that it rides a straight line fairly well. Either way, fair enough.

It's just not my style of play anymore to throw a flip to flat. (I worked too hard to learn a flat and straight release I stopped throwing flip up shots and with the right discs there's no need for me to flip to flat. It's not an issue for what I want to get out the game.)

What I do think is a Vulture and Thunderbird can compliment each other in the sense that a Vulture is essentially a GStar Thunderbird with a few rounds under it. So you can pretty much bag a Thunderbird for a straight to stable shot and the Vulture for some lateral movement when needed.

It's just not my style of play anymore to throw a flip to flat. (I worked too hard to learn a flat and straight release I stopped throwing flip up shots and with the right discs there's no need for me to flip to flat. It's not an issue for what I want to get out the game.)

What I do think is a Vulture and Thunderbird can compliment each other in the sense that a Vulture is essentially a GStar Thunderbird with a few rounds under it. So you can pretty much bag a Thunderbird for a straight to stable shot and the Vulture for some lateral movement when needed.

Making me want to try a Thunderbird.

The reason I've held off is because I've heard some are as stable as a PD. I wouldn't mind something similar that didn't require as much power to go far.

The reason I've held off is because I've heard some are as stable as a PD. I wouldn't mind something similar that didn't require as much power to go far.

Get yourself a Pro or GStar Thundy and don't look back! Pro is my favorite but I have been digging the GStar in the colder weather. GStar is flippier off the shelf but Pro ages faster of course.

I really dislike Gstar plastic, I picked up a Pro Thundie and it flys exactly like I hoped it would. I wanted a Beat in longer Teebird type of flight and that is exactly what I got. It glides for days and has just a bit of turn and pretty mellow fade relative to a star or champ thunderbird.

Making me want to try a Thunderbird.

I used to throw 150g S Line PD's and I have a 173g Pro Thunderbird. The flight is really similar. I would call my Thunderbird reliably stable, but certainly not a meat hook. If I put the Thunderbird on a hyzer it doesn't flip up on max power.

Anyone else broken in some firebirds to fly like thunderbirds? I havent thrown thunderbirds since the proto stars because I have soo many star firebirds that I will never lose them all. My star firebirds are broken in straight to cover all my thunderbird like shots. Am I the only one?

Anyone else broken in some firebirds to fly like thunderbirds? I havent thrown thunderbirds since the proto stars because I have soo many star firebirds that I will never lose them all. My star firebirds are broken in straight to cover all my thunderbird like shots. Am I the only one?

I've got a collection of Firebirds I'm actually trying to fit into this role. So far my 2017 Sexton Tour Bird is the closest. My FAF old Star is the most OS and my pearly champ Bird is somewhere in the middle. Doubt it will beat into straight though. Next on my list is a DX Bird specifically for bashing into trees :p

Get yourself a Pro or GStar Thundy and don't look back! Pro is my favorite but I have been digging the GStar in the colder weather. GStar is flippier off the shelf but Pro ages faster of course.

Will these ever get to the point of having the same distance potential as Valks and/or Sidewinders? I am throwing Sidewinders so far I have been thinking of attempting to use speed 9 as my max as an experiment. My current Thunderbirds are far too stable for max distance throws.