• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tickler: new courses in the works? Charlotte

So, I have been told by the park dept that I will have to take my proposal for a short course at Nevin completely through all the official red tape. That means quite a delay, if they approve, before I crank the chainsaw.

I have plenty, but looking to line up more volunteers. Played with a temp basket yesterday, basically have 13 holes cut or done.

I have plenty, but looking to line up more volunteers. Played with a temp basket yesterday, basically have 13 holes cut or done.

Sounds great! Any progress made on Nevin?

PRESENTATIONS
Robbins Park Disc Golf Course - Charlotte Disc Golf Club, Mark Huether
CDGC Presentation 8_28_2103.pptx
Mr. Huether shared a power point presentation regarding development of a disc golf course at Robbins Park. [See attached]
In the park's master plan there are plans for a disc golf course but not all of that proposed area is feasible for disc golf; there
are swampy areas, as well as proposed picnic tables and ball fields in the Robbins Park Master Plan that the club would like
to stay away from. His design showed an alternate plan for an intermediate-to-advanced level course. Chair Arrendale asked
how this course would be different. Mr. Huether said this course would be an intermediate course, while the course at Bailey
Road Park is a beginner course. Bradford Park in Huntersville is an advanced course, so adding this one would give a full
level of offerings in this area. This past year Charlotte hosted the World Championships with the beginner competition held at
Bailey. That course also served as a location for the NC Powerade State Games in June. Mr. Huether said he is ready to
start construction now and that, if he did so, he could have a course ready by February. Funding for course construction and
maintenance currently comes from leagues and tournaments. CDGC would love more money donated but Mr. Huether said
that he did not come before the commission to ask for that today. Commissioner Duncan asked about maintenance at Bailey.
Director Fitzsimmons said it has been a collaborative effort but the majority of the work is done by CDGC. They do a great job
maintaining the current disc golf course at Bailey and he is confident they would do the same at Robbins. Commissioner
McCloskey asked about the club's membership numbers. Mr. Huether said they currently have about 200 members but their
leagues touch about 1000 people. Commissioner Kelly asked how much the baskets cost. Mr. Huether said the club gets
them for about $300 each. Mr. Kelly asked if the club had approached local businesses to sponsor a hole. Mr. Huether said
he has not had the time to do that but there is definitely opportunity. Commissioner Wilson asked if the PARC Department
was doing any programming involving disc golf. Mr. Huether said that they have held two years of summer camps. The first
year 25 kids registered and the second year 33. They have held two sessions each summer but they hope to do three next
year. Commissioner Duncan expressed concern that somewhere along the way PARC needs to plan to pick up that
maintenance so that we do not overstretch the capability of CDGC. If people are using the course in our parks, we should try
to budget for that. Director Fitzsimmons said maintenance for the Robbins course can be folded right into Robbins Park
Phase II plans and should not be more than a few thousand dollars a year. Chair Arrendale asked if the course were done
now, could the public get to it and use it now, before Phase II is completed. Mr. Huether said that yes, there is access next to
an existing parking lot. When the Town builds more into Robbins and adds additional parking, we can renumber holes so
they jibe with parking access. Chair Arrendale suggested that the Commission make this project a priority and that he is in
favor of us helping get sponsors for the holes.
A motion was made that the PARC Commission recommend to the Town Board that they work with Charlotte Disc Golf Club
to get this course built at Robbins Park as quickly as possible. The motion passed unanimously.
Motion: Approve , Moved by Council Member Travis Dancy, Seconded by Council Member Karen Tovar. Passed. 7-0.
Council Members voting Aye: Arrendale , Dancy , Duncan , Kelly , McCloskey , Tovar , Wilson .
DIRECTOR'S REPORT

Sounds great! Any progress made on Nevin?

N0 progress, there have been planned monthly meetings that I would have made an initial presentation but they have been cancelled. It is not uncommon. I just have to wait. The Nevin thing, if it happens, is quite a ways off.

N0 progress, there have been planned monthly meetings that I would have made an initial presentation but they have been cancelled. It is not uncommon. I just have to wait. The Nevin thing, if it happens, is quite a ways off.

That's fine. There's already a great course at Nevin now anyway. Anything else is just a bonus.

Now just need appvl from County rep and Town board, but I see no issues there. Presented to the town before.

Thanks to the NC Amateur Sports and the Powerade North Carolina State Games, I have a check for the cost of the first 9 baskets at Robbins Park in Cornelius, NC. So close to #15 in Charlotte. If you appreciate donations to disc golf...and a great (ahem) course design go to their facebook page and give them a like and a positive comment. There is opportunity to continue requesting grants once these funds are appropriated.

I haven't heard anything either. It's been a while since I got a "Hey this needs dragging" text

Huey is moving forward with his course. He should start another thread for y'all. My guess is that heh will have baskets in by mid to late winter. Yee Haw. I still have not got my petition for another course at Nevin begun. Lots of cancelled meetings, but no worries. If it happens it will be the right time, whenever it may be.

Well, I attended a meeting last night of the Citizen's Advisory Council for the north park district. They okayed moving my proposal to the next step in the approval process. Yay. Next up is to pass muster with the environmental wing of the park department. I really don't anticipate any problems but will have to wait, probably till sometime in Jan or Feb before they provide any feedback. The wheels on the bus go round and round, and slowly in government.

As a reminder to anyone who cares, if this course is approved I intend to make it like Elon's Eager Beaver, a short course with two sets of tee pads. The park department's youth league uses the Eager Beaver for the kids in the southern district and this would be perfect for the kids in the northern district as well as provide a beginner/intermediate course for this parat of town.

Last edited:
Well, I attended a meeting last night of the Citizen's Advisory Council for the north park district. They okayed moving my proposal to the next step in the approval process. Yay. Next up is to pass muster with the environmental wing of the park department. I really don't anticipate any problems but will have to wait, probably till sometime in Jan or Feb before they provide any feedback. The wheels on the bus go round and round, and slowly in government.

As a reminder to anyone who cares, if this course is approved I intend to make it like Elon's Eager Beaver, a short course with two sets of tee pads. The park department's youth league uses the Eager Beaver for the kids in the southern district and this would be perfect for the kids in the northern district as well as provide a beginner/intermediate course for this parat of town.

Swwweeetttt!!

Last fairways cut and dragged. 2 bridges installed... Need ground to dry and get 2 fields mowed so I can add open 300' Par 3, 600' par 4, and a 415' par 3 ...open holes. After that frame pads dig out baskets and install tee signs. Baskets last to will go in when the course is pretty much finished.

hmmm...latest before and after pictures if I can upload them from work.

I think this will be #10 or 11.

1457690_10153489571105577_582990363_n.jpg

Then (on thanksgiving day)

46908_10153489569775577_961866277_n.jpg

Then

1459807_10153528124320577_1574691059_n.jpg

In the third picture, the cut pine tree on the right is pointing to 2 larger trees, you can see those same 2 trees on the right in the first picture. 270-300' par 3 hyzer, will have 2 pins.