• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Top 3 Most Important Elements of Disc Golf Throwing Technique

(Multi Choice) Top 3 Most Important Elements of Disc Throwing

• Angle of Disc Release (Nose Down, Hyzer, etc).

Votes: 42 67.7%
  • Arm Motion / Technique (Arm form, etc)

Votes: 40 64.5%
  • Disc Release Speed

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Grip

Votes: 20 32.3%
  • Hip Balance (Dropping hips, rotation, etc)

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • Power

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Wrist Snap

Votes: 32 51.6%
  • Other* (Explain Below)

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters

djjeremiahj

Double Eagle Member
What are the most important elements to the disc golf throw (tee pad drive)?

What were the hardest to learn?
What are the the ones that had the biggest impact on your throw?
or
Now looking back, what do you think is most important?

Those are, uh, 4 questions there. Just giving you a heads up. Suffice it to say, I think everything kinda boils down to not strong-arming discs.

Those are, uh, 4 questions there. Just giving you a heads up. Suffice it to say, I think everything kinda boils down to not strong-arming discs.

You found this discussion before i finished the poll...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RE:OP
Snap
Shoulder Technique
Arm Technique

For me, i found that my body was doing the right thing, but little tweaks to "how i threw" with my upper body and arm made the most difference.

I still have to remind myself to find the proper throwing technique sometimes or really focus on it if i need to have a dialed in throw.

My bad. Am I correct in assuming that disc release speed is the same thing as accelerating all the way through the hit and follow through?

What are the most important elements to the disc golf throw (tee pad drive)?

What were the hardest to learn?
What are the the ones that had the biggest impact on your throw?
or
Now looking back, what do you think is most important?

Q1) Nose down; Arm form; release speed (what I would consider touch/distance gauging)

Q2) For me learning to throw with the nose down was the hardest to learn. I think that's true for most people starting out b/c they think throwing a disc should be similar to throwing a "catch" frisbee.

Q3 & 4)Again I have to go with learning a nose down release. Until you can do that you're doomed to 200ft hyzer stall-out type throws. :doh::wall:

You need them all for good form and a smooth and far throw that goes where you want it.

Nose angle, wrist snap, smooth fluid form. Watch Climo and Shultz...they look like they are putting so little effort into it, and the disc flies forever...

Q2) For me learning to throw with the nose down was the hardest to learn. I think that's true for most people starting out b/c they think throwing a disc should be similar to throwing a "catch" frisbee.

Q3 & 4)Again I have to go with learning a nose down release. Until you can do that you're doomed to 200ft hyzer stall-out type throws. :doh::wall:

couldnt agree more. thats why i teach my beginners to throw low and with hyzer. proper form. :D:thmbup:

For me learning to throw with the nose down was the hardest to learn. I think that's true for most people starting out b/c they think throwing a disc should be similar to throwing a "catch" frisbee.

I keep hearing this over and over, but I don't get it. How does throwing nose up help you throw a "catch" frisbee? :confused:

I keep hearing this over and over, but I don't get it. How does throwing nose up help you throw a "catch" frisbee? :confused:

i dont think the conscious logic is nose up=long lob...i think its something new golfers struggle with as they havnt thrown anything but a lofty disc before, and you can throw a high hyzer with a floaty UF disc and make it work without much skill.

if only DG putters would take the place of lobby wammoo discs for playing catch!

I don't really think that throwing nose up helps you throw a "catch" frisbee. I do know that they won't punish you for a nose up throw the same way a golf disc does.

Like Apoth said, it's more of a natural tendency to throw objects with a little loft to them. I just know from personal experience that this was the case for me when I started and was habit that was a long time in the breaking.

In the beginning the wrist snap i think is most important to learn.After that you should build up a good form and train on giving the disc the right angle at the release.After that you should work on the grip to get the smoothest release and then work on the balance in the form so the disc really gets all you put on it.
So long you have a good snap the disc will hold the speed longer because it will cut through the air faster with more spin.But if you would give the disc little spin then it would slow down faster because it would cut through the air slower and drop to the ground faster.

Really early on, learning to get the nose down, pull it on the line, and release angle were what got my throws from 200' stall hyzers to throwing them down the fairway. Later on, the thing that made a big difference was learning to use the pivot point / heavy side on the disc to make it really eject on release.

Angle of Disc Release, Disc Release Speed, Power and Wrist Snap are all products of good technique, not necessairly aspects of good technique. Saying the way to fix throwing nose up is to throw nose down instead isn't really saying much.

Most what you need to throw far can be categorized in either grip, pull timing, weight transfer and plane preservation (or contol of the various planes). For example, working on your footwork will help with your weight transfer and pull timing. Working on pull timing and plane preservation will help you get your arm in the right place at the right time.

Many people try to work from the product backwards rather than from the cause forward. They'll try to work on wrist snap rather than late acceleration. They may eventually figure out that late acceleration and pull timing are what helps you get wrist snap, but they'll have to experiment to get there and there's a lot of wrong things you can do instead, like trying to force wrist snap consiously. They'll try to work on power and speed and end up strong arming with lots of OAT rather than working on late accelration, proper pull timing and proper weight transfer to get power and speed.

These are the reasons I suggest thinking about it in terms of mechanics and timing rather than things like arm speed, wrist snap and nose angle. If you have good mechanics and timing, the other stuff will happen.

I really need to work on my body twisting. Watching myself on a video, I saw all arm and no body in my throw!

For me the hardest things were a.) getting proper footwork b.) proper hip rotation c.) getting my center of gravity over my plant foot d.) getting the acceleration going from the right pec and e.) timing all of the above

Other things like grip and reach back have definitely needed work at times but the above mentioned were the most difficult. For a long time I was mostly an arm thrower. Getting the proper x-step up on the balls of my feet helped get my hips into the equation and when that finally clicked with a good reach back and power transfer and the results were pretty awesome feeling. Right now I'm working on getting more consistent with the level of my reach back. Sometimes I get it too high and loose that slugger trajectory.

I see many a nube not getting weight transferred onto the plant leg and they can't figure out why they can't get the nose down.

Latest posts