• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Top five bomber courses.

I'm not 100% sure of what Dave plans on doing this year. The past few years, he has been running a 1 round BYOP doubles tournament on Ozark Mountain in March. OMO is usually in mid to late April. I would imagine that the dates will be on our list of club events that should be coming out in January. I'd imagine Gateway will post something on their website or Facebook before too much longer.

I agree with those statements for sure. I figured Ozark Mountain deserves at least an honorable mention =)

Seeing milo listed, but I honestly think if you're talking Oregon courses than Blue Lake consistently has a lot more length and shots you can let loose, at the risk of going OB of course.

Gotta second this. I'll go to Milo anytime, but my arm starts twitching and a cold sweat breaks out whenever anyone says, "What about Blue Lake?"[10,000'+ in the longs]. Sorry, guys---I gotta go clean the grout in the shower...:(

Last edited:
Interesting thought on Tiinicum from me as well....very early in my playing days, I happened to show up at Tinicum during their annual big tourney; which also incorporated their overall games for the year; i.e. MTA, Accuracy, etc. I played the course during lunch break and got to see some great disc golf as well as fun extra activities. I didn't really think of it as a bomber course and remember throwing my stringray a good amount?

there are some short & technical spots. not the most bomber, but the recent pin mix has shown off more of the C positions where an accurate 400+ft is needed quite often for scoring on Par 3s and the longer Par 4s (roughly 2/3 of drives)

If you're ever in west Texas... "Home of the Bomber Course"

Coleman Park - Brownfield, TX (from the longs, 12 of the 18 are 400 foot or longer and all are par 3 - elevations changes)
Mackenzie Park - Lubbock, TX (about half of the course is the "bomber" variety from the longs - 21 holes @ 8258 ft)
Running Water Draw Park - Plainview, TX (shortest hole from the longs is 300 feet - 18 holes over 7400 ft from the longs)
Levelland City Park - Levelland, TX (18 holes over 7600 feet that does have trees, but is flat - tough basket placements)
McAlister Park - Lubbock, TX (an embarrassingly bad, very open 18 hole course over 8000 feet from the longs)

I wouldn't recommend McAlister Park, but it's between Mackenzie Park and Coleman Park.

The Woodshed
Warwick Animal
Patapsco
The Black Course
Mt Lake Lodge

If you're ever in west Texas... "Home of the Bomber Course"

Coleman Park - Brownfield, TX (from the longs, 12 of the 18 are 400 foot or longer and all are par 3 - elevations changes)
Mackenzie Park - Lubbock, TX (about half of the course is the "bomber" variety from the longs - 21 holes @ 8258 ft)
Running Water Draw Park - Plainview, TX (shortest hole from the longs is 300 feet - 18 holes over 7400 ft from the longs)
Levelland City Park - Levelland, TX (18 holes over 7600 feet that does have trees, but is flat - tough basket placements)
McAlister Park - Lubbock, TX (an embarrassingly bad, very open 18 hole course over 8000 feet from the longs)

I wouldn't recommend McAlister Park, but it's between Mackenzie Park and Coleman Park.

Have played MacKenzie and Coleman and would consider both of them to be bomber courses. MacKenzie has 5 or 6 great bomber holes but Coleman is just a rip roaring great time. I consider Coleman to be my favorite west Texas, if not all of Texas, favorite course.

Wish their were more bomber courses in my neck of the woods!

By the way a drive, an approach or two and then a put opportunity is by my standards a good hole. Not necessarily something that should be labeled a bomber hole.

I like having an opportunity to use a few discs to complete a hole!

Last edited:
Mountain Lake DGC is definitely a bomber course. Patriot in Kernersville, NC and Cedar Rock Park in Burlington, NC are to a lesser degree as well.

As a designer, my definition of a bomber course is one that has too many wide open holes (at least 10) where there's minimal penalty for crushing it as far as possible without some accuracy required and the lengths to the pins (par 3s) and landing zones (par 4/5s) are too far for most players of the skill level the course was designed for. Using this criteria, several of the courses mentioned above that I'm familiar with including one I've designed (Highbridge Gold) are not really bomber courses. In fact, Feldberg was complaining in 2007 about Highbridge Gold not having any holes but one (#8, par 6) where he could try to throw past 400 feet without encountering trouble. Of course that was intentional and part of gold level design standards.

I don't believe the 10K+ length Winthrop Gold was mentioned yet. Even though it's pretty wide open, the players who are "bombers" do not consider that a bomber course due to well placed hazards.

Last edited:
In fact, Feldberg was complaining in 2007 about Highbridge Gold not having any holes but one (#8, par 6) where he could try to throw past 400 feet without encountering trouble. Of course that was intentional and part of gold level design standards.

This is in fact, a gold level quip. Nice... :)

Gotta second this. I'll go to Milo anytime, but my arm starts twitching and a cold sweat breaks out whenever anyone says, "What about Blue Lake?"[10,000'+ in the longs]. Sorry, guys---I gotta go clean the grout in the shower...:(

I love playing Blue Lake (played it on Saturday, in fact). There are a few holes to air it out, for sure. But lots of those long holes have either a very low ceiling tunnel or tight landing areas with prickly OB. I'm more likely to be throwing speed 9s out there than high speed drivers, except on maybe 3 or 4 holes, so I wouldn't really call it a bomber course based on its length alone. Milo is the same way -- except for a few holes, you are more likely to get punished if you throw your bombers.

In regards to highbridge I would say granite ridge is more rewarding to big bombers then gold. There is a handful under 300 feet however.

Lizard Peak near Reno, NV. 27 holes and almost 12000 feet in length. It's in high desert, so not much in the way of big trees, but lots of short trees and scrub brush to avoid.

Hole 11 is a par 5, 850ish feet, mostly going uphill.

There are 6-9 holes on Sioux Passage - Original that I could see top pros giving max effort on a distance driver from the tee. And the number of uphill drives required makes it that much more of a beast.

It's funny because Sioux Passage - Briscoe Woods has zero such holes.

So far, there have only been a couple of DGCReviewers come through Jonesboro, Arkansas to play Disc Side of Heaven's Championship Course. But I invite all of you "Bombers" to come play a round with me sometime. From the Gold Tees, the Champ Course plays 10,449' with plenty, I mean plenty of open shots to let it fly.

BUT, there is also plenty of places to get in trouble on those shots. I have played just a couple of the ones listed, but I enjoy playing this course as much as I can.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=6079&mode=ci