• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Courses With Manicured Turf

Grass does inevitably need to be cut. That being said any course that looks "manicured" as opposed to simply maintained is a HUGE turnoff for me.

I'm into rough courses with a very real element of environmental hostility. So regardless of a course's actual difficulty level being manicured gives it a wimp aesthetic.

If your ever in the Kansas City area during the growing season I know of two or three courses you would just love. It's best to have someone with you to help mark you disc though. If you enjoy drudging through knee high grass in the heat of the summer looking for discs while swatting away insects and removing tics on about every other hole these courses are for you. The county mows about once a month.

Also I would recommend a disc golf bag that stands about 20 inches high so you aren't searching for it also.

If your ever in the Kansas City area during the growing season I know of two or three courses you would just love. It's best to have someone with you to help mark you disc though. If you enjoy drudging through knee high grass in the heat of the summer looking for discs while swatting away insects and removing tics on about every other hole these courses are for you. The county mows about once a month.

Also I would recommend a disc golf bag that stands about 20 inches high so you aren't searching for it also.

Sounds like these courses would be just fine for the week or two after a mow. When it comes to heat, insects, and ticks: man up.

Sounds like these courses would be just fine for the week or two after a mow. When it comes to heat, insects, and ticks: man up.

Actuality the week or two after the mow is almost as bad as the high grass. Clumps of grass clippings scatter the course and in an open fairway your disc is no where to be found. Then it's off to dredging through clumps of clippings hoping to find your disc. It's a miserable feat to say the least.

Lafreniere Park in New Orleans metro is cut every Monday. Great roller course.

My firebase for 3 years was near Boise, so I would play Ann Morrison early to beat the crowds. The grass was so thick and dewy I would play barefoot 'cause my shoes would get soaked anyways. It was so dense discs wouldn't skip. It was so extravagant that Lushlife stopped touring in fatalistic acknowledgement of an unattainable superiority.

Memorial Park in Frankenmuth, MI is wonderfully maintained by the parks crew. Since it is a city park the crews are there mowing frequently during the summer months. The mowers are even respectful of the disc golfers, waiting until you clear the area before moving in with the mowers. At least that has been my experience there.

I lived in Saginaw when I was young and my parents took me to Frankenmuth a few times. Awesome area. I remember our lawns in MI were so lush and spongy compared to what we have here in NC. I'll remember to check out Memorial Park when I get up that way again.

You ain't seen manicured until you've played on a golf course.
a84ba2c5_m.jpg

Vallarta-Ast (Token Creek) just outside of Madison, WI has been pay-to-play from the beginning (2001) and that is reflected in the quality and maintenance of the turf.

Vallarta-Ast (Token Creek) just outside of Madison, WI has been pay-to-play from the beginning (2001) and that is reflected in the quality and maintenance of the turf.

This course has been on my radar for some time. Do you know when they install the baskets for the season. The buddies and I are thinking about hitting this course the last week of April.

Idlewild always seems to be mowed nicely when I stop in. They also have AstroTurf down on some greens...

This course has been on my radar for some time. Do you know when they install the baskets for the season. The buddies and I are thinking about hitting this course the last week of April.

They typically install the baskets at Vallarta-Ast (and Capital Springs, another nicely manicured course) in late April, or by May 1st. With the way winter and early spring have gone, I suspect it will be earlier. In fact, our club (Mad City Disc Golf) is planning to host our annual Spring Kickoff there on Saturday, April 23rd, so we're confident that it will be open by then. However, it's still early spring in Wisconsin, so we never know for sure. Make sure you check the courses section on this site, as we usually have plenty of locals who update the status in a hurry.

They typically install the baskets at Vallarta-Ast (and Capital Springs, another nicely manicured course) in late April, or by May 1st. With the way winter and early spring have gone, I suspect it will be earlier. In fact, our club (Mad City Disc Golf) is planning to host our annual Spring Kickoff there on Saturday, April 23rd, so we're confident that it will be open by then. However, it's still early spring in Wisconsin, so we never know for sure. Make sure you check the courses section on this site, as we usually have plenty of locals who update the status in a hurry.

Thank you puttlikeablowfly for the apt reply. There's a good chance the posse and I will be there the last few days in April weather permitting. Judging from the media pictures and reviews it appears the people of Madison love their disc golf.

Have to give a nod to my home course, Catawba Meadows in Morganton, NC, it runs parallel to a par 3 ball golf course on the other side of the river, and while it will likely never be rated a 4 or better because of the lack of elevation change and woods, it is always kept up well by the city, and is a great course for glow golf, has just enough trees to make a great night run and is easy to traverse.

Thank you puttlikeablowfly for the apt reply. There's a good chance the posse and I will be there the last few days in April weather permitting. Judging from the media pictures and reviews it appears the people of Madison love their disc golf.

FYI, Vallarta-Ast opened today. No word yet on opening dates for the other county course (Capital Springs) or the two City courses (Elver & Hiestand), in case you're still planning a trip to the area. This warm dry weather can only help.

Hey puttlikeablowfly i was able to play Token Creek and Capital Springs yesterday. Jaw dropping is what I thought about the turf. Absolutely stunning!!! Today in Iowa searching for more good turf.

The most beautifully maintained fairways I've ever seen are at East Carolina University's Campus Course.

Attachments

• 8f6861ac.jpg
    8f6861ac.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 499a44b0.jpg
    499a44b0.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 98088c7f.jpg
    98088c7f.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 34
The most beautifully maintained fairways I've ever seen are at East Carolina University's Campus Course.

I love this course. My buddy from Wisconsin does too. We will be out there around July 4th. My complaint from my last trip was there was a continual trail of beer cans. Luckily I had my cart and there are enough trash cans so the bottom didn't fill up before I got to the next one. I do find it odd that there will be 3 trash cans in 5 holes then none for 5. Trash can spacing could use improvement.

Latest posts