• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Total Gym Strength Training - Share your routines

Blake_T1

* Ace Member *
right now there's 5 confirmed total gym users here and at least 2-3 more in the market for one.

i figured i'd start a thread for people to share their routines or particular exercises, especially those that are related to disc golf.

the total gym exercise guide is available to download here:
http://www.fitnessquest.com/images/TG1000ExerciseBk4_11_03.pdf

additional exercises can be found at:
http://www.totalgymdirect.com

it's probably easiest to refer to them by name/# in the TG guide or by the title on the TG website for ease unless it's something obvious like squats, bench presses, etc.

i've recently plateaued so i'm changing my workout up a bit, but here was what i was doing for the first 5-6 weeks. i would alternate between my day 1 exercises and day 2 exercises and take 1 day off per week. i would also switch it up between fast twitch and slow twitch. on days i was working fast twitch i would work at a higher incline level with less reps per set. on slow switch days i would work at a lower incline level with more reps per set and 1 fewer sets. on some days i would occasionally bypass rest between sets and doing a different exercise instead of resting. e.g. 1 set bench press, 1 set curls, 1 set bench press, 1 set curls, etc. in order to keep my heart rate going.

Day 1 (back/shoulders):
Reverse Butterfly (Rear Deltoid Raises) #21 - 3 sets of 10-12 (FT Days), 2 sets of 18-25 (ST Days).
Front Deltoid Raises #19 - 3 sets of 10-12 (FT), 2 sets of 18-20 (ST).
Seated Row #4 - 2 sets of 25, range of motion reduced to isolate muscles
between the shoulder blades.
Twister #15 - 3 sets of 12-15 each side (FT), 3 sets of 20-25 (ST).
Hip & Thigh Extension #16 - 3 sets of 12-25.
Iron Cross (add'l exercises) - 3 sets of 10-12 reps (FT), 2 sets of 18-25 (ST)
Shoulder extension (totalgymdirect.com) - 3 sets of 10-12 reps (FT), 2 sets of 18-22 (ST)
Groin Stretch #35 - 5 reps, hold each position for 10-15 seconds
Stretcher #7 - 5 reps, hold each position for 10-15 seconds.

Day 2 (arms, chest):
Seated Curls #13 - 3 sets of 10-12 reps.
Seated Bench Press #11 - 3 sets of 10-12 reps (FT), 3 sets of 15-20 reps (low weight ST).
Tricep Extension #14 - 3 sets of 10-12 reps (FT), 2 sets of 18-22 (ST).
Lying Triceps (totalgymdirect.com) - 3 sets of 10-12 reps (FT), 2 sets of 18-20 (ST).
Butterfly #3 - 3 sets of 10-12 reps (low weight).
Squat #5 - 3 sets 15-25 reps.
Cardio Pull #8 - 48-64 reps, alternating arm motions every 8 reps.
Hip & Thigh Extension #16 - 3 sets of 12-25 reps.

lately i've been mixing it up a bit and i just ordered some new accessories that will let me create a third day focusing on legs/abs/obliques and remove a few exercises from the day 1 and day 2 routines.

in the meantime i've changed up both days a bit and have lost some specialization, but i at least try to work different muscles (e.g. different chest muscles on each day).
New Day 1 is basically Reverse Butterfly #21, Twister #15, Lateral Chest Fly (TGD.com), Reverse Fly with Rotation (TGD.com), Hip & Thigh Extension #16.
New Day 2 is basically Seated Bench Press #11, Front Press #18, Tricep Extension #14, Seated Curls #13, Hip & Thigh Extension #16, Squats, Leg Pull #1.

the exercises that i've found most beneficial so far:
Reverse Butterfly #21... i need these to keep my back muscles and chest muscles in equilibrium.
Hip & Thigh Extension #16... these are killer for core strength... hits the lower back nicely and strengthens the pelvic floor and your lower abs below the belt. it even makes your junk look bigger.
Lateral Chest Fly (TGD.com)... try doing 20 of these (10 per side) in a row... man it's killer. my ribs are prone to locking up and this will usually jar them into moving again. i add some elbow bend and extension to hit more DG-throw type muscles. if my lower back is locked up i change to Tennis Backhand #33.
Hamstring Pull #28 and Inner Thigh Pull #29... are great for stretching if you have tight leg muscles like i do. i don't find i get much of a workout from these, but man they really help loosen you up.

what are other people doing?

real men to go real gym and use free weights!!! j/k blake!!

if i was trying to bulk up for football, i'd probably go with free weights.

if i was trying to get in shape, increase flexibility, increase strength without bulk, etc. the total gym wins :)

i was just messin w/ ya blake, but I see your point. a lot is also determined by one's nutiriton as well though in terms of bulking or cutting or recomp.

heh... with the rate i put on mass, i have to severely cut my protein intake to avoid bulking, so with this stint of working out i was hoping to work more on strengthening lean muscle tissue than bulking since its less apt to turn into fat if i get lazy again hehe.

i will do a little review:

working out with the total gym has really increased my golf game and just my body and fitness all together at a miraculous level, i have lost 20 pounds in 3 weeks. thinned me out, and strengthened my fast twitch muscles and i am able to get super fast acceleration and wrist extension like never before for me.

it has also shaped my mind as well for the better since i have a lot more confidence in myself for being sexy again. it is the best workout mahsheen i have ever worked with because of its effectivenes and convenience.

it saves so much time and space, you can fold this thing down within 30 seconds and fold it back up even faster and shove it in a small cramp space in the corner or closet.

it is very easy to use and you can find any workouts/routines on the internet very fast and easy so you can get started right away!

it is by far my best buy in many years, and many years to come.

^^ nice review Dan, that is awesome what is doing for your game!! I always tell them a balance routine will increase snap(tendon /grip stregth), increase fast-twitch type fibers for better acceleration along w/ a strong drive from the core and legs.

Blake, I would love to share and bounce ideas off each other about strenth training in realtion to d.g, not just the total gym, but in gerneral if you know what i mean??

Blake, I would love to share and bounce ideas off each other about strenth training in realtion to d.g, not just the total gym, but in gerneral if you know what i mean??

i'll start another sticky for that.

GunnerUnitas said:
^^ nice review Dan, that is awesome what is doing for your game!! I always tell them a balance routine will increase snap(tendon /grip stregth), increase fast-twitch type fibers for better acceleration along w/ a strong drive from the core and legs.

thanks sir! i have kept up on my debating which ass helelpingg me shpeek beterr.

i am masterbeato, i am a master-debater!

this mahsheen is really working my leg elbows too man

"hey its masterbeato, he dont need no kneepads!"

Blake_T said:
real men to go real gym and use free weights!!! j/k blake!!

if i was trying to bulk up for football, i'd probably go with free weights.

if i was trying to get in shape, increase flexibility, increase strength without bulk, etc. the total gym wins :)

This is 1st time I see you are wrong :cry: . If u wanna be bulk u have to eat like a pig :shock:

It's 90% eating

If u wanna be bulk u have to eat like a pig :shock:

It's 90% eating

i did say "if i was trying to" which is different than what happens for most people. everyone's body will build muscle to a certain extent without a dietary change and then it requires additional calories/protein to continuously bulk beyond that point.

in my case if i work with my fast twitch muscles with free weights my body will continue to put on muscle until it's in the 240-260lb range on an ordinary diet (~2500 calories). i also know this isn't true for most people. with the example i gave was more to contrast the differences between free weights and a pulley system such as the TG.

Just found a total gym in the basement (man I need to clean up that basement). Think I'm gonna give this a shot. My shoulder feels like its been getting worn out when I play, and I think it due to the fact that I stopped working out sense I left college. I'm also hoping it will help me strengthen my back, because I just slipped a disc and its not something I'm excited to go through again. I just need to try and figure out a routine that focuses on my core.

the Hip & Thigh Extension #16 in the TG manual linked above is probably the best core strength exercise i have found so far. works the lower back, pelvic floor, gluts, hamstrings, and lower abs.

for efficiency, some of the exercises that involve torso rotation should help strengthen multiple areas, including your mid/upper back.

finally got my new attachments and set up my new routines for the week:

Saturday:
Seated Curls #13 - 3 sets of 10-12 reps.
Seated Bench Press #11 - 3 sets of 10-12 reps (FT), 2 sets of 15-25 reps (low weight ST).
Tricep Extension #14 - 3 sets of 10-12 reps (FT), 2 sets of 18-22 (ST).
Lying Triceps (totalgymdirect.com) - 3 sets of 10-12 reps (FT), 2 sets of 18-20 (ST).
Butterfly #3 - 3 sets of 10-12 reps (FT), 2 sets of 15-25 reps (low weight ST).

Sunday:
Reverse Butterfly (Rear Deltoid Raises) #21 - 3 sets of 10-12 (FT Days), 2 sets of 18-25 (ST Days).
Shoulder extension (totalgymdirect.com) - 3 sets of 10-12 reps (FT), 2 sets of 15-22 (ST)
Front Deltoid Raises #19 - 3 sets of 10-12 (FT), 2 sets of 15-20 (ST).
Seated Row #4 - 2 sets of 25, range of motion reduced to isolate muscles
between the shoulder blades.
Iron Cross (add'l exercises) - 3 sets of 10-12 reps (FT), 2 sets of 18-25 (ST).
Side Deltoid Raises #20 - 3 sets of 10-12 reps (FT), 2 sets of 15-25 reps (low weight ST).

Monday:
Squat #5 - 2 sets 20-30 reps.
Twister #15 - 3 sets of 12-15 each side (FT), 3 sets of 20-25 (ST) each side.
Leg Pull #1 - 2 sets of 15-20 reps.
Hamstring Pull #28 - 2 sets of 15-25 reps each leg.
Inner Thigh Pull #29 - 2 sets of 15-25 reps each leg.
Ab Crunch (w/ Ab Crunch bars) - 2 sets of 15-25 reps.

Tuesday: Off

Wednesday:
Front Press #18 - 3 sets of 10-12 reps (FT), 2 sets of 18-25 (ST).
Pull Up #17 - 3 sets of 10-12 reps (FT), 2 sets of 18-25 (ST).
Tennis Backhand #33 - 3 sets of 10-12 reps (FT), 2 sets of 18-25 (ST) each arm.
Dips (w/ dip bars) - 3 sets of 10-12 reps (FT), 2 sets of 18-25 (ST).
Lateral Chest Fly (TGD.com) - 3 sets of 10-12 reps (FT), 2 sets of 18-25 (ST) each arm.
Side Deltoid Raises #20 - - 3 sets of 10-12 reps (FT), 2 sets of 15-25 reps (low weight ST).
alternate: Reverse Fly with Rotation (TGD.com) instead of Tennis Backhand.

Thursday:
Squat #5 - 2 sets 20-30 reps.
Twister #15 - 3 sets of 12-15 each side (FT), 3 sets of 20-25 (ST) each side.
Leg Pull #1 - 2 sets of 15-20 reps.
Hamstring Pull #28 - 2 sets of 15-25 reps each leg.
Inner Thigh Pull #29 - 2 sets of 15-25 reps each leg.
Ab Crunch (w/ Ab Crunch bars) - 2 sets of 15-25 reps.

Friday: Off

I got up to 192 lbs at the end of December. Which was the heaviest I've ever been in my life. My mom had an XLS sitting in her laundry room collecting dust. She doesn't really have room for it so she let me "borrow" it.

What an awesome piece of equipment. The first day I got it I went too hard and strained a neck muscle but I let it heal and started a real routine.

The combination of dropping the huge amounts carbs that I used to eat, a better diet in general, and the TG routine, and a I've dropped 11 lbs in 10 days.

I've had a gym membership for years and never really had the motivation to get in my car and go work out. My girlfriend says the gym stinks (it really does, people are gross) and it was hard to get her to go with me. Not a problem at all anymore. Both of us actually look forward to getting home and doing our routines. It's a very relaxing workout, if that makes any sense. I cancelled my gym membership this week.

Next week I'm going to try your routine Blake. I don't have all of the accessories but I'll make do.

Whenever the "lease" is up with my mom, I'm going to buy my own.

Here is to finding your inner Chuck Norris!

...or Christy Brinkley.

Blake_T said:
the Hip & Thigh Extension #16 in the TG manual linked above is probably the best core strength exercise i have found so far. works the lower back, pelvic floor, gluts, hamstrings, and lower abs.

so, i was doing bunches of these and not feeling like i was getting much. then i tried this version, which is from the toes instead of the knees -- wow, *that's* a workout. 10-15 reps from the toes vs. 40+ from the knees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPxkcozOydI

i sprained my right thumb about a month ago and it's still bugging me so i haven't been able to do much in terms of working out lately :( i don't think i'll have to start from scratch, but i'll definitely be easing my way back in once my thumb stops hurting (i hyper extended it... it got bent straight back and almost touched my forearm in a quick jarring motion).

EKG: cool, glad to hear you're getting good results. TG's have a good initial burst with a fairly quick plateau that requires a bit of creativity to keep progress going but overall, they're probably the easiest machine i've ever worked with. i know what you're saying about gym stank. one big plus i had with the TG was when i had mine set up all the time... i'd roll out of bed, slam a glass of water and start working out right away in the morning... it was a good kick start.

so, i was doing bunches of these and not feeling like i was getting much. then i tried this version, which is from the toes instead of the knees -- wow, *that's* a workout. 10-15 reps from the toes vs. 40+ from the knees.

yah, i'll bet that one hits things faster. i still was using the knee method but doing it more as a cardio exercise (40-60 at a fast pace) but i doubt i could do the same type of workout that way (although i use the crunch bars with the toes that way instead of the knees). i'm sure doing the extensions with the toes works specific muscles harder and i'll have to try it that way once my thumb heals up to where i can do a push up without it hurting :p