• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tournament Failures/Meltdowns

Darn, there's a good chance I can "win" this one! :|

State championships / A tier - MPM

Picked up a one shot lead on the second to last hole of the tournament. A 3 or even a 4 would not only win but would secure a USDGC invitation. My worst score on the hole previously was a 5 which would still create a tie for the invitation and lead.

Hmmmm, a 5 circle 13 was what went on the card. :doh:

First off, that's golf baby!

We all have it. And it's all relative. If I'm not on top these days, I played "horrible". Which is usually pretty good in relation to the rest of the tournament. But expectations have set me up for disappoinment. It's a golfers life. It's made me a better person in life, but I struggle on the course to keep my cool.

I've realized, I prefer to be sitting in 4th or 5th place, and at the top of the second card after the first round. I blow up way to much on the lead card. I'm very well known for shooting average first rounds, and lights out second rounds, but I do that way better when I'm not on the lead card.

Then again, the only tournament I won I was sitting in the lead after the first round (by 6 strokes). surgeflx87 almost made a comeback on me in the second round, but proceeded to donate to the water hole and have a mini-meltdown, and only ended up picking up two strokes on me.

First off, that's golf baby!

We all have it. And it's all relative. If I'm not on top these days, I played "horrible". Which is usually pretty good in relation to the rest of the tournament. But expectations have set me up for disappoinment. It's a golfers life. It's made me a better person in life, but I struggle on the course to keep my cool.

I know a LOT of golfers who have "horrible rounds" that are still great for their division. One of the guys I play with a lot in our rec division constantly has "horrible rounds" in tournaments that put him in second or third in the division.

My bad rounds usually come on the rare occasion that I play a casual round. I need the pressure and pace of tournament play to make me concentrate. Maybe it's more of a curse.

Twice this year my game had utterly failed me. During the Minnesota Majestic I was on the lead card Day Two and the top player on the second card on Day Three. The second hole on Day Two I backhanded a tree full force, creating a problem where I can no longer consistently snap a disc (which still persists today, but I am regaining it). I ended up circle-paring BRP's 770 foot hole with a miracle second shot, but my day went downhill fast after that. On the second hole on Day Three I had a Star Ontario Roc splash out of the basket, turning what should have been an ace into a birdie. The luck being that if I had blown by the basket I might have ended up with a circle four or five. However, that was my last good luck of the day. I ended up pissing away shots here and there, taking a double circle seven on one hole where the rest of my card got 3s. On the next hole I took a circle six when again they carded 2s and 3s. I never felt so out of place, being THAT player who was dragging down the rest of the card. I had only one awesome shot for the remainder of the round, at least finishing half way strong when the damage was already done. I tied for last cash.

The other time was during the GGGT Go Cart Open II. The first round I did decent for never having played the course before and revamping my bag one week prior. The second round was supposed to be at an easier course but I just narrowly clipped every possible tree and limb. The worst part is that this course is relatively open, you really have to be off to nail things as often as I did. One time it was so bad that I called my shot, high into a tree at 300 feet and being swatted backwards into the OB. It happened exactly as I predicted, carding a circle 6 to everyone else's 3. The only good shot I had was parking a 450 foot hole with my brand new Tournament Sword. The final round I had dropped from 6th to last. I just pulled out the Nutsac, said screw it, and played with five discs. I ended up giving away 13 putts including parking a nearly impossible to park hole and turning a birdie into a 4 because of a three-putt. This was infinitely worse than the Majestic.

I gave up playing competitively for a while after that. Not that I care too much for my rating, but after being able to hang with 950-970 players for two years, I ended carding numerous sub 900 rounds this summer. At the beginning of the year I felt I was on the verge of a big breakthrough, that I knew what I was doing, that I could envision myself doing it because of past experiences, but thanks to a few bad rounds I actually felt I took a major step back.

Likely if I were to jump into a tournament today I would probably not do well, but I am feeling after two solid months of practice and fun rounds that I am again heading back in the right direction.

I have only ever finished 1st (in my division) once. in a tournament. I usually don't cash. I don't care. I am having fun playing the sport that I love, with friends and like minded individuals. I am supporting the leagues and courses that host the event. So even if I'm not throwing well, I'm not going to have a meltdown. I know people like to be competitive, but try not to take it too seriously, and remember to have fun!

I don't know if it could be classified as a meltdown...

Back in 93 or so the Tennessee State Disc Championships were at Warrior's Path on the first day I had the round of my life. Completely in the zone. Couldn't do no wrong, hitting every putt within 50' of the basket and having an ace throw hit the chains but fall out. I ended up -5 after the first round and in the top 5. I was so hot that a lot of the players accused me of sandbagging.

Well, I came back to earth the next day. Shot a +15 (which would have been a usual round but a little high) I think I was a little too aggressive from the day before.

I wasn't upset or angry because I had such a great day on the first round I didn't care I was having a blast. Even with the higher second round it was my highest tourney finish up to that point.

This did not happen to me but a person who was on my card. It was the morning round of the Oakwood Open in 2007. After two holes a person on our card had a 20ft putt for 2. He spun putt it as hard as he could and it went at least 30 feet past the hole. He proceeds to do the same thing and is another 30 feet away. The next put he hits chains and it clashes through.

I probably don't need to tell you that he is letting obscenities fly quite loudly. He's been listening to an ipod loudly the entire time, which is probably why he was swearing so loudly. He finally holed out and we went merrily unto the next hole.

Another person on my card knew him and tried to calm him down. However, it was in vain because he did the exact same thing the next hole. Spin putting as hard as he can from 25 feet away and biffing. He threw his bag into the air in disgust, promptly picked it up and then stormed off never to be seen again by me.

I have never seen anyone get so worked up by disc golf before or since. It was quite the spectacle.:popcorn:

I think you do win this one. Your meltdown happened with the win in the bag. At least with my meltdown I started with some ground to make up.

I must say, a lot of your stories have really made me feel better about my epic fail.

Darn, there's a good chance I can "win" this one! :|

State championships / A tier - MPM

Picked up a one shot lead on the second to last hole of the tournament. A 3 or even a 4 would not only win but would secure a USDGC invitation. My worst score on the hole previously was a 5 which would still create a tie for the invitation and lead.

Hmmmm, a 5 circle 13 was what went on the card. :doh:

Latest posts