• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tourney help

So many questions need to be answered, first do you want to run a sanctioned (PDGA) event or an unsanctioned event?

You can start by adding an "e"---"tourney".

Unsanctioned tourneys[a good place to start] aren't too complex. Your most important considerations:
1. # of players expected[pre-signup/is there a close-by population base?]
2. benefit tourney?[course expense defrayment]
3. local government support?
4. players pack? cash payout? trophies?[sponsors and players fees]
5. porta-potties?
6. food vendors?
7. park rental fees? [exclusivity]
8. PA ststem?
9. multi-day? [businesses will get behind this after a tourney or two]

Afterwards, make sure all signs are taken down, park is cleaned up, no player left behind[its happened]. If you really want to endear yourself tp the community, randomly poll the residents/businesses in the area and ask them their opinion of how things went.

Last edited:
Probably unsanctioned. I just want the course to be known. It was just created last summer but about the tourny... basically I need to get with the City to provide some things also?

I want to start out small to see how it goes and then grow it from there. If the first one goes well then people will get behind it like you said

Among other questions---

Is there a local club or someone with TD experience who can help you?

How much experience playing in tournaments do you or your brother have?

If the answers are "No" and "Not much", it's an awful big leap to running a tournament.

Something simpler than a formal tournament, like a one-round doubles event, might be a better starting place.

Work out a date with the city/parks dept.

Decide a format (singles, doubles, etc).

Decide divisions and costs.

Promote it anywhere and everywhere you can. Is there a club in town? Neighboring towns? Regionally? State? If yes to any of those, promote to them...post it on their websites, facebooks, whatever.

For the more particular details, the links Chuck provides are really informative too.

You can start by adding an "e"---"tourney".

Unsanctioned tourneys[a good place to start] aren't too complex. Your most important considerations:
1. # of players expected[pre-signup/is there a close-by population base?]
2. benefit tourney?[course expense defrayment]
3. local government support?
4. players pack? cash payout? trophies?[sponsors and players fees]
5. porta-potties?
6. food vendors?
7. park rental fees? [exclusivity]
8. PA ststem?
9. multi-day? [businesses will get behind this after a tourney or two]

Afterwards, make sure all signs are taken down, park is cleaned up, no player left behind[its happened]. If you really want to endear yourself tp the community, randomly poll the residents/businesses in the area and ask them their opinion of how things went.

tsk tsk :clap:

^^^^Yes, blasphemy I know---but Hiller Park's first tourney two weeks ago had 106 players plus many hangers-on, and the sound system set up for the musician[don't ask] really helped when the voices started to go around dusk.

Last edited:
Windsor
Is the course on public or private land? If its on public, you need the city's permission to hold the event[unless its just regular Sunday random-draw doubles]. Their interest in providing any amenities will depend on your ability to convince them it has a financially beneficial outcome for the community[players from out-of-town spending money on food, gas, lodging, etc.].
If its private, its unlikely the city will contribute anything due to possible legal ramifications.

Check out those guides that cgkdisc linked. :thmbup:

Last edited:
People make typing mistakes sometimes.. like not adding an "e" when you are supposed to. But it is on public property so i guess i will be going to the city.

Last edited:
One thing that I can tell you is that promotion is key. Tell some of your local players about the course and have them come play it. Spread the word about it on local forums, Facebook, on here. Give it a few months for word of mouth to spread it. Then announce the tournament.

You can also promote a sort of Grand Opening, inviting a bunch of players out at a given date and time to show the city the interest. But without organizing formal competition among the players---just let them meet and go out and play.

Latest posts