• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tree Love

Midnightbiker

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Just would like to see some stories of people having a tree knock your disc in the basket , or save you from a really bad throw. I have two myself:

I was on a short 250ft hole with a tight fairway, and I totally blew my first shot. I landed about 50ft off the tee in the bushes. I was very mad, and just walked up and threw my disc at the basket. It was heading to the basket, and then started fading to the left. I started to get mad again, just then, my disc hit a small tree, and came back and nailed the basket. I was shocked and amazed at the same time.

Go to the Ace section on this website and scroll down to one of the last ace records called "Most defelections on way to Ace." I witnessed this event as a member of the losing team in this playoff.

http://www.frivolist.com/records.htm

Chuck-
I was laughing pretty hard at the 'longest drive behind the tee' section.
I have had similar bad luck at our home course which is murder with roll aways.
From my drive I planted one practically agianst the pole. It picked up, rolled DOWNhill and in some THICK bushes. 1 roll to get into the middle of the bushes, 3 throws to get out. I ended up taking a 6 on the hole.

marmoset said:
Chuck-
From my drive I planted one practically agianst the pole. It picked up, rolled DOWNhill and in some THICK bushes. 1 roll to get into the middle of the bushes, 3 throws to get out. I ended up taking a 6 on the hole.

Sounds like you need FLX, air grade resin, eraser, or SSS plastic to minimize rolling at the impact of landing.

JR said:
Sounds like you need FLX, air grade resin, eraser, or SSS plastic to minimize rolling at the impact of landing.

I use SSS Wizards and Pro Rhynos. Rollaways are not nearly as common for me now. I also learned how to flop a disc for a flat landing. Most of my rollaways now come from bonked putts. D'oh!
Some of my friends use the grid stamped aviar. Those things get up and go almost every time!

marmoset said:
Chuck-

Had a similar turn-around roll happen to a guy around here was still quite new to the game and did not know about throwing into a headwind. There was a pretty good headwind blowing, he threw an understable disc that flipped in no time, and started rolling. As soon as the disc started turning, the wind quickly pushed it into a complete 180 and it started rolling back towards the tee. That would've been it, except the disc hit a root on the way back, bounced up, the wind got under it and it started FLYING back. Landed probably 15-20ft away from the tee. Anything can happen.

there was one time i was behing a tree, making a lopsided V, and using a really wierd un named grim threw a toss that was like a hyzer right handed side arm, but mixed with a hammer and it went through in this angle / and hit the inside of the basket and bounced out, which wouldnt have been so bad but now my yellow stampless champion valk has a little piece of plastic missing :(

I threw a hyzer shot on the short 150' 10th hole. The disc slipped from a grip a little, ricocheted off a tree trunk into the basket for my second ace (also the second ace on that hole).

i threw a huge high bomb must have went 80ft in to the woods but bounced back right up to the pin for a tap out. my buds looked like this :shock: and i was like this :D

The other day I was taking my second shot about 60 feet from the basket. I threw my Soft Magnet way to high, and I thought I was going to well over shoot the basket. About halfway to the basket, on its way to outer space, it hit a tree branch,it came back down and nailed the chains. It was really cool to see.

Latest posts