• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Trends Within Your Bag?

Jimb

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
I noticed some trends about the discs in my bag and wanted to start a discussion to see what others might see in their bags.

Trend #1 is very common, I'm sure. Color. Over time, I've gravitated towards certain color discs. My primary bag is almost exclusively bright yellows, oranges and pinks. My backup bag is primarily blues and bright greens.

Trend #2 is also common, I would imagine. Weight. My putters and mids are all in the 175g, heavy end of the spectrum. My drivers, with one exception, are all in the mid to light width range, anywhere from 150g up to 163g. (The only exception is a 175g Predator, that's more of a utility disc, than standard driver for me anyway.)

Trend #3, I'm really interested to see what others do. My bag is primarily Innova and Innova built (Millennium). Here's the trend in question. I also carry four Discraft molds, and three out of four are the most overstable discs that I carry in their respective categories. The Predator is my most overstable driver, the Hornet is my most overstable mid and the Zone is my most overstable putter. (I also carry a Buzzz.) All of my Innova and Millennium discs are either understable or relatively neutral.

So does anyone else have a disc stability by manufacturer trend in their bags? Or what other trends might you have yourself?

Last edited:
The only trend I really have is that my discs are all made in 'Murica.

#1. I carry mostly Red,Pink,Orange,Yellow and Whites.

#2. My Weight on Drivers/mids is between 167-170 and my Putters all 175.

#3. I have 5 disc brands in my bag(Innova,Discmania,Discraft,Latitude 64 and Gateway. This is just stuff I've grown accustomed too/had experience with. New stuff is also in there with my XL's coming soon. I like Gateways Putters,Discrafts Mids,Fairways and Utility Putter,Discmania's Freak is awesome,I love Latitudes overstable stuff and the Innova Destroyer is something I've had good experience with in the past,so it is in the bag for now.

Every single disc I carry is round
Drivers: all Innova
Mids: mostly Discraft
Putts: Gateway Wizards
Mostly similar colors, weights from 150-175g

Drivers must be red(ish)
Mids and approach must be green and yellow
Putting putter must be black or white

I only throw Innova and DC except my putter.

Discraft for overstability. Gravitating towards hot pink discs (try to find me a hot pink leaf bed). I'm starting to have a wider variety of disc weights. I'm carrying fewer and fewer molds. All my discs are made in 'Murica!.

almost all pink discs. discraft mids. innova putters. nothing over speed 9.

Easy to find colors like Pink, Orange, white and light blue. Perhaps orange and pink aren't as good as others if they land on top of leaves, but color doesn't seem to matter much when the disc slides under the leaves.

I have a variety of weights for different discs, (including several in the 150 range) although I tend to stay away from max weight drivers. I often have a preference for certain molds in certain plastics.

Although there's still a lot of Innova and DC in my bag, my biggest recent trend has been toward Swedish plastic. I live 5 miles from the Discraft factory, but they've yet to make a distance driver that's remained in my bag.

Last edited:
Putters: Latitude 64
Midranges: Dynamic Discs
Control Drivers: Latitude 64
Distance Drivers: Westside

I have noticed that the first part of my bag is morally upright. I putt with Pures, the Truth is my go to midrange and the Saint is my favourite driver.

it's it weird that I carry mainly red, white, and blue discs but mostly throw swedish? Maybe it counteracts?... :\

Great thread.

The biggest trend that I've noticed in my bag has been towards the same company in each slot. I find this maximizes consistency. For example, when I tried throwing Eagle Xs and Underworlds, I found they preferred fundamentally different throws (much more snap for the Eagles), and switching between the two messed with my consistency. I had better results with Stags for this reason. So for right now, I prefer Lat/Westside fairways (for their easy distance and promotion/preference of finesse), MVP mids (for their superior control and workability), and Vibram putters (for their grip, pliability, and durability). The Resistor is the oddball, as it's technically a fairway, but as my beefy fairway it's more for controlled shots (hence the nod to MVP).

I'm really satisfied with this trend; I think it's done a lot for my game.

Colors: I've gotten more picky about having an array of bright colors that are findable in a range of environments. Playing up north in the fall for the first time last month taught me that oranges and reds are much more user friendly here in NOLA than they are in western PA (duh, I know, but it was a good object lesson).

Weight: I've been trending towards max weight over the last 6-9 months, with the distance drivers I'm currently testing the only major exception. I find I have more consistency with max weight, and that max weight discs handle the wind better (a key here in NOLA). Mids are actually the only discs I feel I need at max weight, probably because they're generally flying at lower speeds that drivers (and hence seem more liable to getting pushed around in the wind).

I've also found that 5-6 back ups of a mold I like is the perfect number for me: it's enough that I don't have to sweat losing one or two, but not too many that I'm afraid to move onto a different mold and end up with sunken costs.

Finally, and most intangibly: I like throwing smaller companies, which in practice steers me away from Innova and Discraft. This isn't a hipster elitism: I'm ultimately going to choose the mold that works for me (had a few throws with a StarLite Tern Saturday and am definitely intrigued). And I'm not trying to spit in the face of received wisdom: Innova and Discraft are what they are for a reason, as my experience with molds like the Comet, Cyclone, and Banshee attest to. I simply like exploring more under-the-radar avenues. I've always been this way - you should hear the music I'm into - and it's been funny to see this tendency slowly, naturally manifest as I've built my bag. Not to mention my bag itself, the Simian: I love that I know the name of the guy who built this bag, and that we had direct contact throughout the process. Very cool. I order from Community Discs for the same reason - at this point, Justin knows my bag and my preferences almost as well as I do - at least, when I'm not buying locally from Aboriginal Discs. I like the intimacy that comes from dealing with smaller companies, and I like exploring avenues off the beaten path. Maybe I'll end up throwing Rocs, Teebirds, and Aviars on down the road, but for now I'm finding the unique attributes of Latiside, MVP, and Vibram fit my game and my desires very well.

Discraft for overstability. Gravitating towards hot pink discs (try to find me a hot pink leaf bed). I'm starting to have a wider variety of disc weights. I'm carrying fewer and fewer molds. All my discs are made in 'Murica!.

My home course has them. I don't know what the tree is but the leaves turn bright red/pink and fall off by tons. I nearly lost a hot pink TL in there once, which is infuriating.

I keep trending back towards the Nebula, I don't know why.

Weights: distance in the 160s, everything else in the 170s.
Colors: Chartreuse #1, orange or pink if possible.
Hipsterrific: Small companies seem to be more in vogue with MVP, DGA, Vibram, Lat, Discmania and Westside all mainstays. I tend to gravitate towards the Lat family for distance stuff (dat glide), Discraft family for mids, Innova family for fairway drivers and Vibram for putting (dat rubber).

Trend #1: Green yellow and red discs , i had my gf style
my grip with green yellow and red fabric markers
so i want to keep the theme, as a reggae / jungle dnb fan it fits me. For example Paul mcbeth showed off a rasta fly dye 2x Roc3 today and im dead set on getting a few of em when theyre released (if anyone has rasta fly dye anything pm me)

Trend #2: drivers 168-172 , mids 175-179, putters 173-174, dunno why but i like it

Trend #3: Using popular / famous molds, If it works for the best in the world and im trying to imitate their form , why wouldnt it work for me? So far so good

Last edited:
My home course has them. I don't know what the tree is but the leaves turn bright red/pink and fall off by tons. I nearly lost a hot pink TL in there once, which is infuriating.

A chainsaw and Tordon will clear that up.

A quick google search suggests it's a Japanese Maple.

I throw all Innova, white/yellow/blue/tie dye (blue, greenish). One of my biggest trends though is throwing easily replaceable, production run discs.