• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tron Identity Disc Stencil?

RomServo

Eagle Member
I came across what I think is an idea worthy of my first dye. I"d like to dye one of my discs to look like the identity dscs from the Tron movies. I cant find a pre fab stencil for it anywhere so I'm on the verge of designing my own. But first, before I start another project, does anyone happen to know where I might find a pre fab Tron Identity Disc Stencil? Id rather just buy one if it exists. Thanks!

Attachments

• images-5.jpg
    images-5.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 82
  • il_340x270.1221232735_qyuv.jpg
    il_340x270.1221232735_qyuv.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 48
I came across what I think is an idea worthy of my first dye. I"d like to dye one of my discs to look like the identity dscs from the Tron movies. I cant find a pre fab stencil for it anywhere so I'm on the verge of designing my own. But first, before I start another project, does anyone happen to know where I might find a pre fab Tron Identity Disc Stencil? Id rather just buy one if it exists. Thanks!

Just find someone on the forum with a plotter to cut one for you.

Just find someone on the forum with a plotter to cut one for you.

Ahhhh! Whats a plotter!? :confused: clearly i have no idea where to start here.

On a similar note: im now taking bids for someone to dye a disc to look like the Tron identity disks!

I really thought this was something i could draw print cut then just use it. I had no idea the stencil making process alone was such a project. :doh:

Ahhhh! Whats a plotter!? :confused: clearly i have no idea where to start here.

Plotter is a automatic vinyl cutter. Much faster than hand cutting a stencil.

I really thought this was something i could draw print cut then just use it. I had no idea the stencil making process alone was such a project. :doh:

You can. You just need an extra step of transferring the image from paper to vinyl with a lightboard. Or if you can draw well by hand, just draw the image straight onto your vinyl. It seems pretty geometric, which should make it easy to hand draw.

Plotter is a automatic vinyl cutter. Much faster than hand cutting a stencil.

You can. You just need an extra step of transferring the image from paper to vinyl with a lightboard. Or if you can draw well by hand, just draw the image straight onto your vinyl. It seems pretty geometric, which should make it easy to hand draw.

Right. I was hoping to just draw the image with a map compass and pencil the cut it out with an exacto knife. Will that work?

Right. I was hoping to just draw the image with a map compass and pencil the cut it out with an exacto knife. Will that work?

Yes. Just be smooth cutting the arcs. I have a tough time making circles round cutting by hand.

...Or if you can draw well by hand, just draw the image straight onto your vinyl. It seems pretty geometric, which should make it easy to hand draw.

So where can i get the right vinyl for this project? I only need one or two sheets right? Is that something i can get in ebay or at a crafts store?

So where can i get the right vinyl for this project? I only need one or two sheets right? Is that something i can get in ebay or at a crafts store?

Yeah, craft stores should sell small single sheets of vinyl.

Success! Thanks for taking the time to walk me through some basics. Not bad for a hand cut first time impromptu disc dye!

Now, if someone ever asks me for my ID on the course, I'll have something to show them. :D

Thanks Again!

Attachments

• 20170502_210313.jpg
    20170502_210313.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 90
  • 20170502_210227.jpg
    20170502_210227.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 20170502_174120.jpg
    20170502_174120.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 54
On a follow-up note:

After dying this disc I later realized that I had warped it enogh to give it the flight fattern of a corkscrew. :doh: However, its actually banging in and is now a ridiculous FH flex disc. :cool:

So, be it noted to any other newb dye-job-ers out there. Very Low Heat....unless youre wanting to walk away with a completely different disc.

Thanks Again! :hfive:

what the hell did you heat it with? I use a heat gun on a low setting held about a foot away, and I never hold it on one spot. Constant quick side to side movement and I stop when the disc is warm to the touch. Not hot, warm

I used liquid rit synthetic in a pot on the stove. I had it set as low as it gets and didnt think it really got that hot but there was some warping for sure.

But remember, this was a 170ish Z Flick, so it was damn near a corkscrew to begin with! :)

What are you using a heat gun for?

I used liquid rit synthetic in a pot on the stove. I had it set as low as it gets and didnt think it really got that hot but there was some warping for sure.

But remember, this was a 170ish Z Flick, so it was damn near a corkscrew to begin with! :)

What are you using a heat gun for?

Seems odd. I've near-boiled discs (accidentally) before and didn't notice any warping.

It really looks just about the same but its way way more OS now... like ridiculously moreso. Like I said it seems to be beating in a little bit, but I lost my z flick shot when I dyed that disc. Now i have to release it at about 1 o'clock rhfh for it to flex out and finish right.

Maybe you heated it up enough that when it cooled it brought the parting line closer to the top? I thought the Flick was already pretty flat though?

It is super flat, that one of the reasons i chose that disc for my first makeshift stencil. I figured it would be easier than trying to figure it out on a disc with alot of dome. Like i said, it really looks pretty much the same, just laughably OS. Im sure the plh was effected to some extent.

Okay, so heres another follow up post!

I recently decided to replace the tron identity disc due to its profound loss of glide and intended flight path. In the end it was fun and a learning experience but the bottom line is that i warped this flick so bad that its flight is glideles and almost so OS that its almost "pathless" for lack of a better term.

I've attached a couple pics for review: the red disc is a slightly beat 174g z flick, and the yellow is of course the "identity disc". You can see from the profile that i clearly warped this disc to the point of complete flatness, rendering it almost useless for any real golf line. I bagged it for a while but in the end all it really did was drive my scores up. It was neat for a while but thats about it.

Anyway, it was a fun project and thanks for everyones help! I am now offering this disc up for trade for anything remotely close to discs in my wants list located on my fsot thread.

If anyone wants to see how ridiculous this thing actually turned out: I will mail it to you!

Thanks Again! :thmbup:

Attachments

• 20170525_172218.jpg
    20170525_172218.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 20170525_172236.jpg
    20170525_172236.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 38