• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Trouble Relating (not sure if this belongs in VIP/the WC)

just cause your good at something, doesn't mean you are ( or have to be) a good teacher. Communicating and teaching are a skill with many nuances , just like disc golf. Of course, each student is different in the way they might (or might not ) absorb information. I like to try and help people with any easy pointer I can give that might help them enjoy the game more. Another day, I might just want to play through and not try to translate my advanced understanding to an undeserving audience...... So, what ever works. And if you can't say something nice, just rant about it later on the interwebs.

I hear you. There have been quite a few people over the years who have heard me play guitar and wanted me to teach them. Yeah, I'm horrible at teaching...

Thanks guys. I wish I could edit the OP, I really missed out on an important aspect (if not most important):

Correcting misinformation.

How do you politely re-correct or tell someone that they are wrong? Nothing bothers me more than someone giving advice in front of me to other people/persons that is beyond wrong:wall:

Thanks guys. I wish I could edit the OP, I really missed out on an important aspect (if not most important):

How do you politely re-correct or tell someone that they are wrong? Nothing bothers me more than someone giving advice in front of me to other people/persons that is beyond wrong:wall:

Always start out with a generic statement, such as: "you are wrong because...." or "that's stupid because" or "whaaaaaaatever!!!!" but make sure you do it with a smile and explain the stupidy or correct way quick enough to smooth things over. JK

i come across this a lot when playing a course by myself. Many people "think" they know more than they actually do and there is nothing wrong with that b/c they are excited about the game.

rather than explain I prefer to show... If the guys are up for it i ask for their disc that "goes right" and make it go left-- then i ask for their disc that "goes left" and put it on anny to the the ground.

then either they cheer in surprise and go to the next hole or ask to tag along and learn zi bazics like i said before. Don't sweat it. We sucked too. Took a longgggg time to get where i am and a lottttt of reading as well as holes played. We can only help if they want it like an alcoholic.

Whenever I go out with new people I give them a dx leopard and tell them to pretend there is a table/breakfast bar right next to them lined up with cups. After they reach back I tell them to try and make the disc hit every one of the cups. This keeps the disc in a level line and if they are really imagining it, they'll keep the disc plenty flat from a standstill throw.

^^^ This is a great example for the layperson, much easier to visualize and execute than just telling someone to "keep the disc flat". As mentioned previously, knowing your audience will determine what type of instruction actually yields improvement. Some players will definitely ask for, and benefit from, a full-on nerd explanation, but most will respond to talk of OAT and nose angle with the same expression a deer gives a Peterbilt grille.

Speaking in generalities here, but most new players who ask about ways to improve are not looking for a thesis on how to become a 1000-rated pro. They just want to not suck at disc golf. If you can do something small to help them suck less and have more fun, they will probably keep playing and continue to improve. Whitefedora's example above is a great starting point, particularly as it will likely result in immediate improvement. If you try to explain everything they could improve on and how to do it all, they will struggle, keep sucking, and probably stop playing.

I want to thank y'all for all the advice you guys throw to us noobs..I've spent more time reading on this site the past 3 months than I've read in past 10 years.. Yeah I'm hooked and can't wait for snow to melt so I can work on my game..once again ty all for being here for the noobs..I appreciate it

i usually let them try the advice and then add my own after it starts inevitably not working so well. that also gives me some examples gleaned from their bad experience to use in my explanations. i explain some basics and i hope that my throwing serves to illustrate those concepts. sometimes that's all you can do.

sometimes i stop being so polite, though. there's one guy i play with who tries to tell me what i should and should not throw whenever i mess up a shot. he gets an earful of DGCR tech until he finally is forced to block me out as an annoyance.

I want to thank y'all for all the advice you guys throw to us noobs..I've spent more time reading on this site the past 3 months than I've read in past 10 years..

Thus the state of education, and our nation as a whole. :\
And in case you think I'm trolling, I've already read 7 books since Jan 1st.

Though I may have spent more time here. :eek:

Last edited:
i usually let them try the advice and then add my own after it starts inevitably not working so well. that also gives me some examples gleaned from their bad experience to use in my explanations. i explain some basics and i hope that my throwing serves to illustrate those concepts. sometimes that's all you can do.

sometimes i stop being so polite, though. there's one guy i play with who tries to tell me what i should and should not throw whenever i mess up a shot. he gets an earful of DGCR tech until he finally is forced to block me out as an annoyance.

i will also say that if it's growing pains stuff, like relying on slightly more OS discs at first (as long as it's not like a nuke OS or something beefy), i let it slide. pretty much every chucker does that. they just want to throw a little better and more consistently, and if that helps them for the time being, then it's the right thing for now at least... no need to send their round south by hitting them with the book.

Latest posts