• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How the acorn grows to be a mighty oak?

Kingwo said:
I'll also make questionable disc selections. For instance, last tourney during a hole 325' downhill shot, trees protecting right side of basket but open on the left with left side having road OB 40' from basket. During practice I BH'ed a Destroyer and crashed into tree for par. During rnd one I FH'ed an Orc and came up a bit short but still pared. Last round I decided to go for "birdie" and strong-armed a FH Teerex that never faded back in for OB and bogey. I get "bored" with same/safe shots and tend to go for the hero shot. How do I get out of this mindset? Searching for that rush of a great shot but in reality bogey's are bogus.

Visualize what you want to throw and see how close you can get to that virtual "perfect shot." Until you match it, there is always room for improvement on those "boring" safe shots. Or round to round, challenge yourself to land a little bit closer to the pin that you did the round before.

As far as risk vs. reward on the teepad, just remember that a single good hole can't lift a mediocre round but a single bad hole can certainly spoil one.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. There is field work to be done, mental notes to be inscribed and putting practice in between.

Nice job SlowRoll. I would add "Find your DG Zen". My best rounds are by myself, no one around. I can concentrate on what I am throwing, how I am throwing it, what I did right, wrong, etc. I don't get caught up in watching my buddy's drive, upshot, putt. I'm not rushed to the next tee because X has to take their kid to ball practice. Maybe that's just me.

The troll in me wants to ask how you know that the pros know they know if you don't know what they know.

My helpful side wants to share advice from Phil Mickelson in a book of his I have. Telling the story of winning the Masters for his first time, he writes about "missing your way around August National." By this he means hitting a shot that stays out of danger, even if you miss your target. In other words, play your shot towards where you have a greater margin of error. If there is OB on the left, play a shot that you're confident won't end up going left. If there is a hazard on the right, play a shot you know will stay left. If you miss your mark, you might have a longer approach or a longer putt, but you're not going to take an unnecessary bogey.

Thanks, and good luck at the Flygirls @ Flyboy tournament. I bet you are going to have a blast.

Thanks, I'm really looking forward to it!! My game went from a level 3 this week to maybe 4.50 Just having one of those times when you make some big strides. I am really trying to prepare for the next few events I have scheduled!!!

Hey slowroll - that was a good read (yes I read it all). It was nice to find it since we officially met last Thursday night at the doubles tourney. I think that you and I being teamed up together really proved that putting it where it's at. You are much better putting that me and we seemed to really play as a team since I pride myself in being consistent from 320+ and I could get the drives within that 20+ circle. I would have probably missed more than ½ of those putts you made. That is the next level of my game I feel is the putting. That's where most of the game is. "Drive for show and putt for dough!" Anyways, it was a good read and I hope to see you out there again at 2 Rivers this Thursday night.

Hey slowroll - that was a good read (yes I read it all). It was nice to find it since we officially met last Thursday night at the doubles tourney. I think that you and I being teamed up together really proved that putting it where it's at. You are much better putting that me and we seemed to really play as a team since I pride myself in being consistent from 320+ and I could get the drives within that 20+ circle. I would have probably missed more than ½ of those putts you made. That is the next level of my game I feel is the putting. That's where most of the game is. "Drive for show and putt for dough!" Anyways, it was a good read and I hope to see you out there again at 2 Rivers this Thursday night.

I had a real good time shooting with you ambroze. You guys are really doing a great job bringing Two Rivers back to life. It plays like a completely different course now, and I for one, am grateful for all your efforts.

Thank you very much!

I had a real good time shooting with you ambroze. You guys are really doing a great job bringing Two Rivers back to life. It plays like a completely different course now, and I for one, am grateful for all your efforts.

I'm actually meeting a friend there a lil before 4 today. We're going to try and squeeze a round in before the bottom falls out if you have the time. Bright yellow Mustang... can't miss it :)

...I don't like having the hard 50% number for how much to practice putting. The goal to hit everything inside 20' is spot on. Practice as much as you need to to meet that goal. One of the observations I have made at tournaments is that putting can be the difference between a good intermediate player and an average pro.
Here's something I like to point out to emphasize the importance of putting. If you double your high percentage putting range, say from 10' to 20', you quadruple the area you have to hit. How long do you think it will take to go from 10' to 20'? How long will it take to get four times more accurate with your driving/approaching from all ranges? Tripling it makes the area you have to hit nine times bigger. Nine times.

I've given this number of 50% of your practice time allocated to just putting practice a little more thought, so I wanted to throw this out and see what everyone thinks.

I think that the hard 50% number is there to stress to new players the importance of finishing the hole. By spending so much time on this one aspect of play, the new player actually feels more at home as they are holing out than anywhere else. The ability to make putts from 5' to 10' further away than your competition increases your drive's landing area exponentially as garublador explained above. I also think that putting practice is easy on the body. No one has ever that I know of thrown their shoulder out or wrecked a knee/elbow from putting 20' out. Stressing the importance of this allows the newer players to put a lot of themselves into improving at the game without overdoing it physically(remember, they are new, and very passionate about the game). Psychologically the confidence that is gained by watching 15'er after 15'er bang in is HUGE when you are just starting out.

I do want to add that as you progress in building your discgolf tool belt, you will eventually want to spend more time on the other aspects of the game. For myself, 2011 is the year I'm adding "thumbers" to my tool belt of shots to choose from. I practice them in moderation due to the strain it puts on my shoulder, but I have already thrown 4 thumbers in tournament situations in 2011. Without the practice time spent in my yard throwing these, I never would've had the confidence to trust the big tall route over the trees when it mattered the most.

While the 50% hard line number for Rec players may seem like a bit much, I would like to ask you in closing: Who would all of you rather have as a doubles partner? The guy that can throw 280' and misses almost every putt outside of 15', or the guy that only throws 240' and makes almost every putt inside of 25'. When I first started playing this game almost 4 years ago, I was the 240' guy, and pros loved having drawn me as their Pro/Am partner because even though I wasn't much off the tee box, they could pretty much just leave their putter in the bag and just clean up after my misses.

Longwinded as always, but I hope this helps clarify why I believe in and recommend the 50% number for new players. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
I just saw this thread so I just now read through the whole thing.

I have to say that the OP should definitely help players out. It was well thought out. Also, Garu's first post hit the nail on the head about where I am at in my game. I don't play/practice enough to be able to be consistent. I throw a little over 400' now and can recover from a bad drive, but my putting and overall consistency usually places me barely cashing in INT. I know I can out throw most of INT and a lot of ADV and PROs, but we have all heard "drive for show, putt for dough." I will work on that over the summer since I am still in college now and will have some extra time.

The last tournament I played in, I came in 6th in INT. It was a two round tournament and after the first round I was deep in the field, I think 18th. The second round was played on a much easier course so I wasn't expecting to gain much, if any, because I thought everyone would play well. I just shot for pars the second round and I actually ended up shooting even par (2 birds, 2 bogeys) and gained a lot of positions.

Pars definitely win the lower divisions.

This thread really should be sticky, imo. Maybe not in general chat, but in Technique or something...

It's well thought out and articulated. slowRoll obviously put some serious time into crafting it, and it's one of the better attempts at helping the DG community, especially newer players, improve their game that I've seen on this forum.

While the 50% hard line number for Rec players may seem like a bit much, I would like to ask you in closing: Who would all of you rather have as a doubles partner? The guy that can throw 280' and misses almost every putt outside of 15', or the guy that only throws 240' and makes almost every putt inside of 25'.

Depends, is he accurate to 280'?

This whole "drive for show, putt for dough" anthem is getting old. I feel like people only see distance as the main thing when comparing "driving" to putting. I break it down to throwing and putting. So drives off the tee and approach shots are throwing. If you think about it that way doesnt it change your perspective? The easiest courses out there are par 3. That means 2 throws and 1 putt for par. So 2/3rds of the game is throwing not putting. Harder courses with higher pars are even more reliant on good throwing. In terms of strokes off your game, putting will save you 1 stroke on any one hole (unless you get a roll away,etc.) but throwing accuracy can save you more than that.

Nobody ever takes a 7 or 8 on a hole because of bad putting.

Latest posts