• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

True Added Cash

JohtoVillage

Birdie Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Not to stir the pot, but I have a question for people.

How do you guys feel about tournaments advertising a certain amount of added cash and then either not following through or saying it was actually added money and the rest went to expenses?

I see this more and more, but wanted to get your thoughts.

One example I noticed was the 2013 Texas State Championships. They advertised $10,000 added cash and the entry fees ranged from $160 for MPO to $130 for some lower age protected divisions:

http://www.pdga.com/tour/event/14319

My quick math tells me they added the minimum for an NT, which is $4,000. What are your guy's thoughts on this?

I think it all depends on how they word it. If they say they will add the cash, then they should be the ones to add it. If they only state that there will be a certain amount of added cash, but they don't state that it will all be added by the people running the event, then I don't think it is wrong to say there is more added cash than they (the people running the event) are providing.

At my events, added cash is straight cash going into the pro pool. No players packs or meals are included in the added cash number. Cash is cash.

I would like to try to get TD's/PDGA/Players on the same page in regards to the words, "added cash". It would also be nice to make it mandatory to advertise amounts or percentages to each Pro division.

Added cash is the amount added above the Net Entry Fees used for payout, not the Gross Entry Fees paid in. Unless you know what was legitimately deducted from Gross Entry Fees to determine Net Entry Fees per PDGA guidelines, it's hard to calculate. For example, PDGA player fee, Ace Fund, Greens Fees or course fee equivalent per player are approved deductions.

At my events, added cash is straight cash going into the pro pool. No players packs or meals are included in the added cash number. Cash is cash.

This is how I feel. Advertising added cash should mean added cash to the pro purse, not meals or player's packs or anything else. I just think its very misleading to say $5,000 added cash, or whatever, when $3,000 of that is am player packs or meals or something else.

I would like to try to get TD's/PDGA/Players on the same page in regards to the words, "added cash". It would also be nice to make it mandatory to advertise amounts or percentages to each Pro division.

I think this is a great idea. As stated above, added cash should be added cash to the pro purse only.

If I advertise added cash it is money added to the pro purse. This does not signify that 100% of the gross entry fee is going to the purse however as Chuck notes. Most of the time it does but once in a while it is necessary to deduct.

I've only ran events as high as a btier, but anything advertised as "added cash" has always gone 100% to the pro purse.

If I advertise added cash it is money added to the pro purse. This does not signify that 100% of the gross entry fee is going to the purse however as Chuck notes. Most of the time it does but once in a while it is necessary to deduct.

Yeah maybe this is where I differ as well. I don't agree with deducting anything out of the pro entry fee except for the PDGA player fees. I will cover anything else with sponsor money but that's just me.

Yeah maybe this is where I differ as well. I don't agree with deducting anything out of the pro entry fee except for the PDGA player fees. I will cover anything else with sponsor money but that's just me.

all I deduct is pdga fees and course fees so we are pretty close to the same there.

That's admirable but it doesn't always match the PDGA "added cash" definition (which is what you were asking about) unless there are no other fee expenses involved like greens fees or an embedded versus optional ace fund.

all I deduct is pdga fees and course fees so we are pretty close to the same there.

Yeah that's understandable. I would just have a problem with a TD deducting food, ctp prizes, etc from the pros.

Yeah that's understandable. I would just have a problem with a TD deducting food, ctp prizes, etc from the pros.
Those are not deductible expenses to determine the Net Entry Fee so it is a problem if a TD is doing that to determine their base for added cash. So no argument there.

That's admirable but it doesn't always match the PDGA "added cash" definition unless there are no other fee expenses involved like greens fees or an embedded versus optional ace fund.

Yeah that makes sense Chuck. I just think it looks bad if an event adds $10,000 cash but then takes out a bunch of money from the pro entry for tournament expenses, courses expenses, food, etc etc.

maybe "added cash" should just be redefined in how it can ethically be used in tournament advertising and where/what/how its actually added.

Lots of better ways to phrase what is being done anyways.

maybe "added cash" should just be redefined in how it can ethically be used in tournament advertising and where/what/how its actually added.

Lots of better ways to phrase what is being done anyways.

Agreed with this. I think some people use added cash when they really mean added value, which are two very different things.

This statement is on page 4 of the 2015 PDGA Tour Standards:

Net Entry Fees = Gross Entry Fees minus the pass-through fees ONLY. Pass through Fees are: PDGA Per-Player Fee, Greens Fee, Regional or Series Fee, NOT expenses.

Net Entry Fees = Gross Entry Fees minus the pass-through fees ONLY. Pass through Fees are: PDGA Per-Player Fee, Greens Fee, Regional or Series Fee, NOT expenses.

Thanks for the clarification - I have a very bad feeling that a lot of tournaments are not following this rule. I see way too many tournaments advertising "added cash" and then the numbers don't add up. Take a look at the 2013 Texas States NT. They advertised $10,000 added cash but unless the greens fees were $6,000 (they only played this tournament on one course) then something looks fishy there.

Thanks for the clarification - I have a very bad feeling that a lot of tournaments are not following this rule. I see way too many tournaments advertising "added cash" and then the numbers don't add up. Take a look at the 2013 Texas States NT. They advertised $10,000 added cash but unless the greens fees were $6,000 (they only played this tournament on one course) then something looks fishy there.

Odd that as a TD you would bash other tournaments for this. Have you checked with any of them to see if there's any reason for your observed slight, a misunderstanding maybe? A deal fell through at the last minute? Just wondering -- it's so typical of a disc golfer to do the math and whine, seems odd TD's bashing TD's without asking first . . .