• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Trying out Trilogy

holein1

I'm a long time discraft user looking to try out some trilogy discs! What are some good discs and their purposes? Just wonder what people like the most from those brands.

Welcome to the forum. Below is a list of some of the Trilogy discs I like. Knowing how far you throw can help us narrow the list a pinch.

Ballista
Blitz
Bolt
Claymore
Compass
Core
Culverin
Cutlass
Dagger
Diamond
Falchion
Flow
Fury
Fuse
Gauntlet
Halo
Havoc
Jade
Knight
Macana
Mace
Maul
Medius
Mercy
Missilen
Mirus
Pain
Pearl
Primitus
Pure
Raketen
Riot
River
Ruby
Saint
Saint Pro
Scythe
Sinus AP
Sinus SP
Spark
Spike
Stiletto
Striker
Trident
Villain
Vision
XXX
Bard (Laulaja1)
Boatman (Tuonelan Lautturi1)
Boatman VIP Air (VIP Air Tuonelan Lautturi1)
Catapult (Katapultt1)
Destiny (Kohtalo1)
Giant (Vipunen1)
Giant VIP Air (VIP Air Vipunen1)
Harp (Kannel1)
Hatchet (Sotakipves1)
King (Pohjolan Isäntä1)
King VIP Air (VIP Air Pohjolan Isäntä1)
Longbowman (Jousimies1)
Northman (Pohjan Poika1)
Northman VIP Air (VIP Air Pohjan Poika1)
Queen (Pohjolan Emäntä)
Sampo
Seer (Ennustaja)
Shield (Kilpi1)
Sling (Linko1)
Stag (Hiiden Hirvi1)
Stag VIP Air (VIP Air Hiiden Hirvi1)
Sorcerer (Tietäjä1)
Swan (Tuonelan Joutsen1)
Swan (retooled, Tuonelan Joutsen1)
Swan Reborn (Tuonelan Joutsen1)
Sword (Kalevan Miekka1)
Sword VIP Air (VIP Air Kalevan Miekka1)
Tursas (Tursas1)
Tursas VIP Air (VIP Air Tursas1)
Underworld (Manala1)
Underworld VIP Air (VIP Air Manala1)
Warship (Pursi1)
Warship VIP Air (VIP Air Pursi1)
Breakout
Convict
Defender
EMAC Truth
Enforcer
Escape
Evidence
Felon
Freedom
Fugitive
Gavel
Judge
Justice
Marshal
Proof
Renegade
Suspect
Thief
Trespass
Truth
Verdict
Warden
Warrant
Witness

TP Underworld will change your life.

Also a GL Core is a tree dodging mid that will make all your friends ask "how'd you do that?" (Flat top with a small "pop" near the middle, NOT those weird dome ones.)

What do you throw now?

What do you throw now?

This.

Just a heads up, the numbers on Trilogy discs are not exactly the same as the ones Innova uses. Same idea, but generally Trilogy disc are less stable than the numbers would suggest compared to Innova.

I throw mostly trilogy stuff. I started with River and Saint (glidey, easy distance) and still use them both. I love the Verdict and Thief (probably my most used discs-both OS-mid and fairway driver). I putt with a Spike (hurray for thumbpads). I also bag a Harp which gets some use and a Vision, another fairway driver, which I like to use for flex shots. I had a Claymore that I loved but lost it and haven't yet replaced it. All of the discs I just listed range from either wildly popular to popular with the exception of the Vision, which seems to get a bad rap and the Spike, which no one I meet seems to know anything about. Objectively, I would recommend any of these discs but it really depends on what slot you're trying to fill in your bag, I guess, so YMMV.

2016 Team Trilogy Points winner chiming in here...

Of course I love the plastic, but it's hard to recommend anything without knowing your skills. I bag a World for overstable distance driver; a Sword for straight distance; a Bolt/Fury for turnover distance. I love the Stag for straight in the woods fairway driver (think Teebird); Saint Pro for overstable fairway; and XXX for crazy overstable trick shots/grenades. Verdict for overstable midrange; Truth for straight midrange (Buzzz replacement); and Tursas for stupid turnovers (I never use forehand). Sinus is my go-to upshot approach and I putt with Wardens.

Tons of new molds out since I created my bag, but I play so many tournaments I don't have time to try the new stuff... so I just go with what I know works for me.

I am starting to like the Fury for an easy, reliable left-to-right fade off the tee. I'm not a long-distance thrower, so if you have a power arm it might not be as great a disc for you.

I enjoy the river for fairway shots slight fade, slight turn, or straight. Underworld for big fade fairways or hyzer flips.

I haven't played many tournaments and I'm not a PDGA member yet so it is hard to say my skill level compared to others. I played a pretty big one in Des Moines, IA and placed top 15 in intermediate. I'd say I've gotten better since then.

I have a strong forehand and backhand. On a good rip I can get a backhand throw to go typically between 4 and 5 hundred feet. Forehand probably can get to around 3 to 350 feet, sometimes more.

I throw a lot of Discraft.

I love the Bolt and River. Recycled plastic is my favorite it reminds me a bit of Pro or ESP plastic. Bolt is a understable long distance driver. The River is nice S turn fairway driver that I have started to use as my roller. It reminds me of a shorter Avenger SS. I threw the Halo for a bit, it reminds me of a Nuke/Surge. But then lost both of my Halo's so I am throw my other discs.

I also like the Suspect, somewhere in between a Drone and Zone. Classic Blend

And The Judge is my putter of choice. Classic Soft. If you like a putter without a bead then the Warden is very nice as well.

I threw the Fuse for a bit but just prefer the Comet more so.

I'd say
Nuke -> Bolt or Maybe a lighter tresspass
Force -> Giant
Surge SS -> Fury or witness
Flick -> Felon
Undertaker -> Saint
Buzz -> Truth
Buzz os -> Verdict
challenger -> Judge or Dagger

Does the shill know the shill is being a shill?

I thought it would be helpful to have a list of all the Trilogy discs to discuss. If you check out my disc collection you can see that I have more DGA than anything else. Right now I'm bagging all MVP. Sorry you felt it necessary to express your disagreement as an insult. If you feel the need to insult another member at least try to be entertaining. My peace I leave you.

I'm a long time discraft user looking to try out some trilogy discs! What are some good discs and their purposes? Just wonder what people like the most from those brands.

I'll just say which Trilogy discs I bag:

For putting, my main putter is the Dynamic Discs Warden in Classic (hard) plastic. I sometimes use a Lucid Judge as a throwing putter. I also use the Lat64 Pure in Zero Hard, Opto and Gold Line plastics.

I have a Lat64 Compass (in Opto and Gold Line). Strangely enough, the Discraft Buzzz in Titanium plastic is my preferred choice for this slot. I just acquired a Gold Line Core, haven't worked with it enough to know if it'll kick the Mako3 out of the bag.

One of my all-time favorite discs is the Gold Line River. It seasons into perfect stable-understable goodness for me.

The Gold Line Fury is my favorite when I need a disc to go right (RHBH) throw, i.e. turn over and take an anhyzer line to avoid trouble to the left.

I sometimes bag a Gold Line Saint when I need a stable-overstable disc, though I must confess that the new Valarie Jenkins Star SLs have pretty much replaced the Saint in my bag.

I sometimes bag a Dynamic Discs Renegade in Gold Line plastic, and it's a very good disc, though it has not beat out my Tern.

I once bagged a Gold Line Flow, but other discs have essentially replaced it for the 'windy weather' distance driver.

My quick suggestions are these 3 mids:
Truth-stable (very much like a buzzz)
Tursas-understable
Verdict-overstable

All 3 feel a lot like the buzzz in the hand and feel the same overall. I recently ditched my buzzz for the truth.

Latest posts