• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Trying to get my backhand form to 400ft and beyond

1. Your stance is starting way too wide like 12-18". Start about shoulder width and stride 3-6" during backswing.

2. Your head is turning way too far back and is the first thing to turn back instead of the last. Your chin should be right over the lead shoulder at top of backswing.

3. Work on Inside Swing Drill backswing with rear foot staggered so rear toes are inline to front heel and your shoulder winds back right under your chin and inside the wall/posture. You are getting too over your toes/into the wall with your head/shoulders/knee.

This drill feels too easy. I must be doing something wrong. Is it posture related?

https://youtu.be/kbi8iUWJitY

It's a little hard to tell at that camera angle but you might also be tilting too much with your upper body away rather toward the target rather than fully coiling more center balance there. I used to do that unintentionally in the door frame drill and it would spoil the effect...

I feel relaxed when I do this drill now but definitely coiled/wound up through the core and lat muscle stretch.

Does it feel different than usual? Do you feel wound up?

I do feel wound up. Doesn't really feel much different than usual. Maybe a little more wound up. I think I get confused with how to reachback knowing that I'm not supposed to be directly lateral to the target. Should my reachback be like this even during a normal throw when I'm slightly offset?

It's a little hard to tell at that camera angle but you might also be tilting too much with your upper body away rather toward the target rather than fully coiling more center balance there. I used to do that unintentionally in the door frame drill and it would spoil the effect...

I feel relaxed when I do this drill now but definitely coiled/wound up through the core and lat muscle stretch.

If I filmed from directly behind myself, would you be able to see if I'm tilting too much with my upper body?

I thought my upper body was supposed to be coiled away from the target in the backswing, like in this video.

https://youtu.be/0UoUKCqzjAw

However, now I realize he's still in the center. I think I have a poor sense of balance. I'm the type of person that always needs to be told to make their head straight when taking a photo. It's just naturally tilted to one side and I don't even notice. I say that because I didn't think I was tilted in this. It just felt normal.

I don't feel much of anything in my core. And it's not like I have some amazing core strength

If I filmed from directly behind myself, would you be able to see if I'm tilting too much with my upper body?

I thought my upper body was supposed to be coiled away from the target in the backswing, like in this video.

https://youtu.be/0UoUKCqzjAw

However, now I realize he's still in the center. I think I have a poor sense of balance. I'm the type of person that always needs to be told to make their head straight when taking a photo. It's just naturally tilted to one side and I don't even notice. I say that because I didn't think I was tilted in this. It just felt normal.

I don't feel much of anything in my core. And it's not like I have some amazing core strength

Yes, from 90 degrees could help. Always easier to see/show than say.

Balance moves from leg to leg from ground up. Head is top of the stack.

One common error when people start to learn side bend is that they still are off balance tipping back-first toward the target rather than staying more centered longer maintaining the loading thru the core and lat. SW had to try a lot of things with me before I started finding better loading and balance centered with side bend and my head still on the stack (still an issue to an extent for me).

Perhaps try to stay more centered and coil with side bend. As you coil back more pressure will move toward the rear foot. Then butt-view more 90 degrees may help.

Yes, from 90 degrees could help. Always easier to see/show than say.

Balance moves from leg to leg from ground up. Head is top of the stack.

One common error when people start to learn side bend is that they still are off balance tipping back-first toward the target rather than staying more centered longer maintaining the loading thru the core and lat. SW had to try a lot of things with me before I started finding better loading and balance centered with side bend and my head still on the stack (still an issue to an extent for me).

Perhaps try to stay more centered and coil with side bend. As you coil back more pressure will move toward the rear foot. Then butt-view more 90 degrees may help.

Here is a behind view of the inside swing drill. I don't feel like I'm tipping over but I'm not sure if I feel pressure on my rear foot. It may just be that my front foot gets lightened when I do this though.

https://youtu.be/7E-vgXXbSkA

I've been watching a ton of golf videos lately. Came across this one this morning. This guy talks about having your weight on your heels, which I thought was the exact opposite of what you want to do. After hearing that, I wanted to see if this guy is just talking nonsense. His golf swing looked good but I have no idea what makes one look bad.

https://youtu.be/NorCKz_JuWk

Also came across this video. He talks about how soon the downswing actually happens in the backswing. Right around when your arms are about hip level. How would this translate to disc golf? Should you be going into the downswing at a certain point in your upper body sequence? So as you are still coiling your upper body, you should be making the hip movement?

He talks about the hips in a slightly different way than "sitting down." He's still doing that movement in this video, correct? They talk about the butt wipe drill at 9:00 mark. Are you supposed to wipe the wall AND sit down into the swing? He kind of gets into the sit down without really mentioning it.

https://youtu.be/Vto7YUtSVvE

I went out today and just thought about the butt wipe drill and inside swing drill. Tried to make sure I was wiping towards the target while still reaching back. As the session went on, I think it got worse. The side view is later than the behind view.

A couple that I didn't film were pretty effortless. I think my upper body is still trying to do too much work too early 50% of the time.

https://youtu.be/qDhqVSB7Kug

1. Your front foot should move your hip, not your head.

2. You need to move your lead shoulder further back behind you. You are stopping short on the backswing with the shoulder and your arm/disc start curling inward behind you instead of staying more in place or moving further wide out away from you.

1. Your front foot should move your hip, not your head.

2. You need to move your lead shoulder further back behind you. You are stopping short on the backswing with the shoulder and your arm/disc start curling inward behind you instead of staying more in place or moving further wide out away from you.

Wow, that video. I have not been thinking about the left foot in that way. I pushed myself in a rolly chair and tried implementing that into a standstill. It feels more like I'm pushing the ball of my foot into the ground. I don't think I have it right, but I definitely wasn't trying to do this before

Regarding the shoulder, I think I was focusing pretty hard on shifting earlier and that caused the reachback problem.

I took a break from this after getting tired of beating my head against the wall. Started back watching tons of golf swing videos on YouTube. Basically ruined my YouTube recommended at this point. I know there's been lots of times in this thread where I've been told to quick standing up in my throw. So I found some early extension golf videos on the subject which made some sense. This video () got me into some other Malaska Golf videos, partially this one ().

He talks about pushing the left hip away from the ball. I've been trying to do this, but I can't recreate it with any power without also extending my knee.

Some other Cogorno videos pointed out that a lot of people flare out their front foot for better hip rotation. I've been doin this and it seems a lot easier to push my left hip back.

I've also been trying to fix my posture. This Cogorno video () around the 6:30 mark said something to me that I didn't notice before, "leveling out the hips". If feels really weird to be in this position. My lower back gets really tired in this position very quickly. I guess I need a stronger lower back. In normal day life you want to walk around with your back relatively straight and your shoulders back. Pretending to hug a beach ball feels like the worst posture to walk around in your normal day to day life. Feels like I'm trying to get into some kind of bad gamer/desk jockey posture.

Here's a video of me trying to push my left hip back. I can't tell if I'm actually doing it correctly or not. Is my left leg extending at the right time?

I took a break from this after getting tired of beating my head against the wall. Started back watching tons of golf swing videos on YouTube. Basically ruined my YouTube recommended at this point. I know there's been lots of times in this thread where I've been told to quick standing up in my throw. So I found some early extension golf videos on the subject which made some sense. This video () got me into some other Malaska Golf videos, partially this one ().

He talks about pushing the left hip away from the ball. I've been trying to do this, but I can't recreate it with any power without also extending my knee.

Some other Cogorno videos pointed out that a lot of people flare out their front foot for better hip rotation. I've been doin this and it seems a lot easier to push my left hip back.

I've also been trying to fix my posture. This Cogorno video () around the 6:30 mark said something to me that I didn't notice before, "leveling out the hips". If feels really weird to be in this position. My lower back gets really tired in this position very quickly. I guess I need a stronger lower back. In normal day life you want to walk around with your back relatively straight and your shoulders back. Pretending to hug a beach ball feels like the worst posture to walk around in your normal day to day life. Feels like I'm trying to get into some kind of bad gamer/desk jockey posture.

Here's a video of me trying to push my left hip back. I can't tell if I'm actually doing it correctly or not. Is my left leg extending at the right time?

FYI the way the media is integrated into the words makes this hard to read. I'd try to keep vids/media on separate lines than the words.

Looks like you are doing the old Tiger Woods knee/hip/leg snap. There is no way you can maintain balance on front leg into the finish position with a fully extended knee, which is evidenced as your head flies past your foot/knee.

Screen Shot 2023-07-16 at 11.14.25 PM.png

So how do you push your front hip back without also extending your knee? I guess there's something wrong earlier in my form that prevents me being able to keep my knee bent and push my left hip back, while still generating power. Could it be related to side bend? That's the next part of the swing that I need to start researching again. I know y'all said mine was bad before. Maybe if I had more side bend, my chest would naturally want to come up more, which would bring my head back and be more stacked up with my front leg.

The knee will extend, but you don't really want it fully extended (although some top pros do it).

The knee will extend, but you don't really want it fully extended (although some top pros do it).

Does fully extending the knee lead to more injury chances? I never really paid any attention to golf, but I thought Tiger has had knee problems. Was it from extending the knee fully?

What is causing me to lose my balance? Poor posture, lack of side bend?

I've been watching more Malaska videos and I don't think I'm letting momentum do all the work. I don't feel like what I'm doing uses that much energy, other than trying to push my hip back. One of his videos, he mentions how much force Jack Nicholas put into pushing his front hip back so I guess that's normal. However, he mentions how your hands are "along for the ride" during the swing. Not something I exactly relate to.

Around 9min mark in this video, he demonstrates how the swing should be like throwing into the ground. Does this relate to disc golf? Trying to think how I would recreate this while throwing backhand

Yes, increases injury chances and yes Tiger has had many knee and spine injuries.

I think your lack of balance is from lack of proper tilt and dynamic stack/alignment/posture. (Ride the Bull in Turbo Encabulator)

How I talk about lefty submarine pitch in Turbo Encabulator might remind you of what Malaska is talking about. I wouldn't worry much about pushing the hip or hip speed, you need to slow your hips down and feel the connection with the arm. You have too much slack between your hips and arm(hugging yourself).

Yes, increases injury chances and yes Tiger has had many knee and spine injuries.

I think your lack of balance is from lack of proper tilt and dynamic stack/alignment/posture. (Ride the Bull in Turbo Encabulator)

How I talk about lefty submarine pitch in Turbo Encabulator might remind you of what Malaska is talking about. I wouldn't worry much about pushing the hip or hip speed, you need to slow your hips down and feel the connection with the arm. You have too much slack between your hips and arm(hugging yourself).

Hmm the righty (in my case) submarine throw makes some sense. Feels just as weird as I thought it would.

I found another Malaska video that made me think in a way I hadn't before. The way he talks about the momentum "loop" is something I had not thought about ever. Watching him do this, he brings the golf club kind of behind him. Does this relate to disc golf? In the two step dingle arm drill (attached image), it kinda of looks like the disc is behind you.

I've always struggled with the idea of "making space". I've never felt like I didn't have plenty of space. I didn't need to get my body out of the way for my swing path to work. In the wide narrow wide video you have, it looks like to me that the left person's body is in the way (attached image). They need to move their body out of the way. When I exaggerate this, it feels like my arm is getting jerked around. The disc looks behind loopghost in his Momentum and Power video (see attached). Maybe "behind" is the wrong word for what I'm talking about, but it's 100% not the same plane as what I've been doing. I've done the windmill drill before but never felt anything. With the disc more "behind" me, I feel it kind of jerk me.

When I first started playing, I remember seeing Danny Lindahl videos where he talked about not letting the disc get behind you. I think I took that advice and went to the extreme. So now I have been reaching more away from my body. Which has thrown my entire momentum arc and made it near impossible to let momentum carry my arm.

Attachments

• IMG_1027.jpeg
    IMG_1027.jpeg
    421.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1028.png
    IMG_1028.png
    6.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1029.png
    IMG_1029.png
    6.2 MB · Views: 0
Not to sidetrack, but watching Proctor throw really seems to boil it down to the basics. No big movements, just the delivery at the end that seems to align with what Dave Dunipace said about the "whip".

Wide Rail really has more to due with your upper arm to chest angle, rather than where the disc is in space. Camera angles and trajectory can also distort things. In ball golf you have either a draw or a fade(straight does not exist), and in disc golf it's the same with a draw(distance line) or a fade/pure hyzer. You can reachback behind your body as long as you don't create slack letting the arm collapse. Draws/distance lines/anhyzer will typically appear to reachback more behind the body as the trajectory is more left to right turnover(RHBH). Move your body in a figure 8 and whip the arm.
El loop de loop.
z4bLPWA.png

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Latest posts