• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

U-Turn Fairways

optidiscic

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Extremely Rare and Extremeley Fun. The U-Turn fairway. The one that makes a complete U and the basket and tee are actually close together but the route is a FULL U shaped fairway away. I'm not talking about J shaped I'm talking full of never ending hyzering or equally dreadful anhyzering eternally fairways. Only works in dense woods. If you have not played the eternal L turn or the eternal R turn...you don't know what your missing. Any other amazing U-turns out there. One of the rarest but best design features out there!

4 U turns Ive played in order of most dramatic U-turns

Warwick #8
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course_files/17/39619bfd.pdf

Lums Pond #16
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course_files/62/c457bfc9.gif

Quakers Challenge #10
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course_files/2315/3f93991a.jpg

Whispering Falls #8
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course_files/2416/d74d2757.pdf

By the way I am searching for the C-shaped Fairway...might have to build it myself? But I would love to learn of any other U-turns out there!

ox bow park has a boomerang hole, could be a U if you don't cut it tight... but basically a boomerang if done right -no mando- , i like it, but the rough that surrounds it is very brutal, thorns, no clean way to "pitch" back out... its an easy duece... but its a bitchofa 5 if you shank it :)

its listed as hole 6 on here... the "local" route its hole 8... but the pic does not show much, the tee sign kind of gives the gist... but the "fairway goes bout 40-50 out then hard right for another 150 or so... rough guesses here... have to throw your drive upwards to clear a leaning tree...

in the pic thats uploaded here, that blue arrow is no pointing at the right spot, the actual fairway is short and right of it, the tree thats leaning... from the right side, leaning over tto the left... the fairway is straight right from there

most successful drives go over that leaning tree, in a "left handed spike hyzer" type a line

I just looked it up...but the pictures do absolutely NOTHING to tell you how nasty this hole is...

Hole 14 at Emerson Park...It's a right hand turn that doesn't EVER stop. It's only 190...so what's the big deal?

The big deal is...YOU try turning over a disc in about 60' then have it go straight right for only 25' before it starts coming BACK at you.

I couldn't get a decent throw on this hole to save my life. But it's a good hole that I look forward to playing again.

\/\/

Hole 18 at Circle C Metro Park at Slaughter Creek in Austin, TX, not quite a U, but dang close. Fun hole to play but you end up shooting across a creek to finish up, not too bad during the summer months, but with the rain we have had this winter, if you hit the creek, you may lose your disc. Would put a link to it, but not sure how to do that. The map shows the shot as more of a arch or boomerang shaped shot as another poster said about a different hole, but while playing it, it really feels like a U turn type of shot.

#4 at Bracketts Bluff is another example. It isn't as dramatic as a U (then again, none of the examples are), but more like a C. No map, photos only.

Hornet's Nest "Charlotte's Web" #3
07ec116b.jpg

I was going to list 18 at circle c, but moon beat me to it. as far as c shapes, hole 14 at austin ridge comes close at 600+ feet. both are counterclockwise. no love for the lefties.

...add Channahon Community Park #17 to this... NEVER ending right turn.... even my RHFH friends mess it up.... like a dang blad nascar track in reverse!

And the short tee is much worse than the long tee there, you start out just a few feet from the rough on the right, and it stays there all the way around the curve, and you have several trees and a low ceiling to navigate at the end of the flight.

Charlie Vettiner #18. You throw uphill to where you see the strip of grass heading right. That is about throw of effective length of around 400-420' I am thinking. Then you have a long downhill throw to the basket that is after you have to pass under some low-hanging branches. It is more V-shaped than U shaped (but the description to start the thread seemed more to describe a C-shaped hole than a U-shaped).

1d4201a2.jpg

Latest posts