• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ultimate disc most similar to disc golf mold

That's not how gravity works. They fall at the same right.
Probably tougher to catch though.

An Aero works well.

Use the zip up bottle koozies - I've seen some nasty cuts from people reaching out to catch chipped or shattered bottles.

In our area we call this wonderful game "beer on a stick". We also generally have a full unopened beer on the stick. It tends to fall a little faster making it more difficult to catch.

Last edited:
All kinds of good advice, thank you. Im going to research all of these. Last time I played I had just got done playing 36 holes of disc golf and was so used to my putters that I wasn't doing very well with the ultimate frisbee. Could've been the vast amount of beer throughout the night I drank, but figured it was more of the fan grip not working on the ultimate rim with my small hands.

In our area we call this wonderful game "beer on a stick". We also generally have a full unopened beer on the stick. It tends to fall a little faster making it more difficult to catch.

Awsome! We always called it "friz-knock" or "beer frisbee...with poles!" We always played with an empty bottle, and that sucker would fly if hit cleanly. I think I have actually seen more impressive feats of athleticism on the friz-knock field then on the disc golf course! Full lay out diving grabs and such...without spilling a drop! :hfive:

A fun rule that we introduced was that if you were able to make a catch in an especially stylish manner, everyone drinks!

Just curious, what are the rules/scoring system for this game you speak of? Sounds like a fun way to get my alcoholic buddies throwing plastic. :|

Yup. That link is exactly how we play. And we did add the rule that if you knock your own bottle off it is a point for the other team. I don't think that is a standard rule, but I have lost due to drunken stumbling into the pole many times lol

Indeed. Doesn't matter how the bottle ends up on the ground - 1 point to the other team.
Also, if you grab the bottle off the pole but the frisbee misses the bottle/pole -- defensively jumping the gun, so to speak -- 1 point to the throwing team.

Unplayable (i.e. uncatchable) throws are called in a sportsman-like manner. You cannot call unplayable if the disc hits the bottle/pole, no matter how hard or low it is thrown. (I have one friend who is effing lethal with tomahawks that hit right at the base of the pole.)

Mixing it up with anny floaters right at the bottle works well -- so slow that they distract the catching team.

And we did add the rule that if you knock your own bottle off it is a point for the other team. I don't think that is a standard rule, but I have lost due to drunken stumbling into the pole many times lol

Last edited:
While you can find different ultimate discs, at the higher levels of competition there's really only one, and this has been the case for many years--Discraft Ultrastar (175 grams, of course). This disc has such a stronghold over the ultimate community, that it's been very hard for other approved discs to make a dent in the market (well, Wham-o sells a lot, but has no traction in the competitive ultimate scene). Other ultimate discs, as long as their not cheap crap (under $8), feel and fly like an Ultrastar... to the untrained ultimate player. If you live and breathe ultimate, any disc that's not an Ultrastar feels very wrong in the hand, but still flies about the same. I'd recommend a white Ultrastar, as the color discs don't handle the sun as well.

Your question would actual puzzle most ultimate players, since many don't know that there's any disc other than a Discraft Ultrastar.

Compared to throwing an average mid-range disc golf disc: Ultrastars need less arm power and more spin (wrist snap). They fly very slowly, hang in the air forever, and need a little more nose-up on the release. They are easy to hyzer-flip, especially into a headwind. It's helpful to pull back your release point some too, especially on forehands, and make sure you're snapping your wrist (with a little hyzer). The arm motion is similar to throwing an understable disc. Oh, and don't expect much, if any fade at the end.

I played ultimate for 20 years at the national and international levels. A 172g Buzz is the closest thing I have in my bag to an Ultrastar, especially once I start turning it upside down. The Buzz is much faster, needs the nose to be flatter, and has less high speed turn and more low speed fade. Still, I think it would be pretty easy for ultimate players to adjust to the Buzz.

The game you're talking about is huge in ultimate crowds.

to me part of the fun to this game is using a flippy lid which you buy at many large retailers in the toy department. The closest DG disc to this is going to be a sonic.

^the super hero is a large diameter sonic

is it as flippy as your generic store bought fast back type disc? sometimes they don't really fly too well if at all lol. I like the sonic but generally not the larger lids with that same shape.

Latest posts