• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ultimate discs vs. Golf discs...

I throw super class rounds with zephyrs and occasionally play ultimate. I think that throwing the really slow discs like that can be really good for some parts of your form, and really cleans up wrist roll and oat. If you throw hard, they'll seem under stable but if you throw clean and slow down a little they hold whatever line you put them on. I can throw a 200' pure hyzer with a zephyr that never flips up.

Those first throws that went out on a hyzer really seemed to flip up to flat/over... boy are those discs understable... :|:|:|

It's only acting understable due to exceeding it's disc speed. Throw any disc beyond it's speed and it will act understable. :)

I played in pick up games of Ultimate when I was 23 and working in Columbus, IN. That was back in..., I can't remember. :p

I have a 198g Apple that I enjoy playing toss or warming up with before a round of golf, most people don't like tossing it and then playing golf but that disc doesn't bother me when switching from it to a golf disc. It's pretty dayum stable for a lid.

Yes. I was proving my point of ultimate discs not being understable.

That was my point of the vids. :thmbup:

Sarcasm should be banned from the interwebz/DGCR unless it has it's own font cause you can never tell even from the powers that be. :thmbdown:

unless it has the right amount of spin to accompany it...

there is a certain point where that speed/spin ratio is impossible. if you are trying to throw as fast as you can, you cant also put more "spin" on it. the speed will overcome the spin. and thats the story of how the golf disc was invented.

brand new ultra stars are pretty stable though. i usually only throw beat up ones

I played a lot of pick-up ultimate for a number of years while was in school, and I could throw a pretty clean flick with an ultrastar, and my friends would usually ask me to throw the pull after a score because I could generate more distance that most anyone else. Now that I've been playing disc golf exclusively for several years, I can't throw an ultrastar forehanded any better than my crappy dg forehand, and it has ruined my backhand with an ultrastar as well. The grip is massively different for a lid. But now that I'm an out of shape 30-something, I'm not going to be playing any more ultimate. :)

By the way, Ultrastars will go dead straight the whole length of an Ultimate field if you throw them right.

Ultimately(bahahahaha get it?!?!?!?!) there are similarities but the goal for disc flight and form are pretty different. In ultimate you are trying to pivot as far out as possible and get your arm to reach out as far as possible to make your defender have a harder time d'ing your throw and cutting off the angles you have on your throws, the anhyzer (outside-in for ultimate) is the go to shot in ultimate because you don't have to bring the disc across your body, and when pulling the idea is to keep the disc in the air for as long as possible so the defense is able to get down the field and set up or even cause a turnover right off the bat.

After playing competitive ultimate for 5+ years(and continuing to do so) through high school, college, and at the club level, what helped me most is learning to predict disc flight, body and arm control, and make other environmental observations. There are things that you can draw from one sport that will help you with the other but My forms compared between the two sports are fairly different because of the different goals that in each.

I could elaborate more but I will save you all from my babbling XD

Latest posts